Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part IX]
Nov 7, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #271 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are nuts :)

I agree. Anyone that thinks lossless/uncompressed formats sound different cannot be a sane person.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #273 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is very true. In fact I think the highest compression you can find supported for any DAP is FLAC Level 5. Besides, the higher the compression you use, the smaller the difference in file size gets.

My Cowon D2, X5, and Trekstor Vibez do FLAC@L8 just fine... sure you can't expect that from an iPod, just saying...
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #274 of 1,051
This doesn't have anything to do with pictures of portable rigs...

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #275 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This doesn't have anything to do with pictures of portable rigs...

So why don't you post some?
wink.gif

///

I recently dug up my MD player from the palaeolithic era, and it sounds damn good - compared to many DAPs available today. Not that I'm gonna use it much, but it's a nice reference point for my other gear.

PB072114-800-Sony_MD.jpg

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #276 of 1,051
I gotta find my old minidisc player. i had one when i was like 13, my dad brought it back from japan. They were awesome and sq was excellent. optical out from the cd player to the md was the best.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #277 of 1,051
Wow you have one of the original MD recorders... nice. Too bad barely anyone uses MD anymore, including recently myself.
Edit:
@dfkt from your multiple portable sources, which one do you like best sound wise?

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #279 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why don't you post some?
wink.gif

Already posted pictures of my old rig and then my newer updated rig.

I don't have anything else to post yet.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #280 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already posted pictures of my old rig and then my newer updated rig.

I don't have anything else to post yet.

...better hurry up and buy more stuff then.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #282 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is MD analog?

I was going to get one YEARS ago, but was convinced that they were a novelty, a waste of money.

No, its an optical media containing ATRAC files, the format invented by Sony to compete with mp3 for quality at low bitrates. Its digital.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #285 of 1,051
MD is great. It's a mature format (at least in Asia). So many devices to chose from, and they are all engineering marvel. I used to carry a case of MD's, an extra gum pack charged battery, a AA extra emergency battery, a tiny player, and travel US to Tokyo for two weeks without having to worry about anything.

It's a very sociable format, if your friend like your music, just give him/her your disc and cut a new one when you get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back