Pictures of your Portable Rig II - The Journey Continues.
Apr 16, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #331 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
How thin is the D-NE20 actually? Photos I've seen all make it look like it is just barely thicker than the CD itself. True?

1.3cm (or little more than 1/2 inch). The NH1 is thicker by about 1/16th of an inch by comparison. I don't have it in the office with me, but I'd wager it's slightly thicker than a CD jewel case, no thicker than two jewel cases. It's also less tapered vs. the DNE900.

If you're thinking diameter of the D-NE20, then it's about couple of mm (or about 1/16th inch total) larger than a CD at its slimmest, about 1/4 (?) inch longer than a CD for the hinge.

The body is full metal construction, with shiny coating over the iPod-mini like textured surface, so the color's closer to platnium than silver.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #332 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
1.3cm (or little more than 1/2 inch). The NH1 is thicker by about 1/16th of an inch by comparison. I don't have it in the office with me, but I'd wager it's slightly thicker than a CD jewel case, no thicker than two jewel cases. It's also less tapered vs. the DNE900.

If you're thinking diameter of the D-NE20, then it's about couple of mm (or about 1/16th inch total) larger than a CD at its slimmest, about 1/4 (?) inch longer than a CD for the hinge.

The body is full metal construction, with shiny coating over the iPod-mini like textured surface, so the color's closer to platnium than silver.

Thats thin!

I just bought a D-ej2000 PCDP and its suppose to be real thin also. I wonder how thick it is? Anyone know?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Its .5 inches also.

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #333 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by unitnumber43
I don't know how anyone can call a +amp setup portable, lol. That's like calling the old suitcase computers "laptops".

:nudge: :nudge: how many of you remember suitcase computers...cmon. we know you're that old.
wink.gif

My iP{od plus Super Macro is smaller than my discmen or any of my former cassette walkmen ever were, and a whole lot more convenient as far as lugigng around many albums to klisten to.

rob

Apr 17, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #334 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Nice rig!
icon10.gif
What cable upgrade do you have to the HD25-1?

Best,

-Jason

It's the stock cable from my hd650, terminated into a 1/8", right-angle Neutrik. I wrote up a little guide on how I did my replacement here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110867

Peace,

Graz

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #335 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Nice rig Graz!
cool.gif

I think you may be severely limiting yourself using Sennheiser HD25-1's with that rig though...

Yea, that thought has definitely occurred to me…but imo, the hd25’s do pretty good.

I know you’re a 271s guy
biggrin.gif
… actually I went shopping a few weeks ago with every intention of buying a pair of 271s (based in no small part on your posts on them). I was thinking they might replace the a900’s I use at the office & potentially even serve a dual role by replacing the hd25’s as well. I brought both the a900 & hd25 along with me for some auditioning, and after about 90 minutes of a/b/c testing, I ended up not buying the akg’s. Actually, I was surprised to find that out of the three, I preferred the hd25’s in my mobile rig. They sounded “clearest, least veiled, best midrange” to my ears. Just one noob’s ears though…doesn’t mean anything. Also, it might’ve just been a synergy thing.

Anyway, I actually covet jjcha’s rig…to me, that is da bomb. We have similar gear, aside from his sensas & an extra 20gig. I’ll stick with my 20gig (so Jason can maintain his superiority
biggrin.gif
…but mine’s thinner, ha! <like that matters with the amount of stuff we’re luggin’ around
wink.gif
>), but yea, there’re probably some iem’s in my not too distant future.

Peace,

Graz

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #336 of 1,335
That is interesting... to each his own I guess, but I found the HD25's to be leagues behind the K271S'.

Apr 17, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #337 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
my humble rig...
ihp-120=>optical mini-to-toslink=>headroom overture=>cardas mini-to-mini=>sr-71=>hd 25-1
dsc008640cu.jpg

dsc008665an.jpg

dsc008680yv.jpg

dsc008713xa.jpg

dsc008720he.jpg

Peace,

Graz

eek.gif

thats your portable rig???????

hear i am with an ipod shuffle and ex81s.

Apr 17, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #339 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
bangraman --

Is that the Moon Audio Black Dragon upgrade cable?
Your cable looks different than those that I have seen.
How long is the one pictured? It looks AWFULLY short...

BANGPOD

Yes. He put different covering on it so that it'll be more flexible. It's 1m. Right now I only intend to use the Qualias for semi/portable use.

Apr 17, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #340 of 1,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by unitnumber43
I don't know how anyone can call a +amp setup portable, lol. That's like calling the old suitcase computers "laptops".

:nudge: :nudge: how many of you remember suitcase computers...cmon. we know you're that old.
wink.gif

I've had many an amped + DACed combination... And personally agree with you. After a year or so of trying various different combinations, it got old. All my portable amps are collecting dust now, and it's the only major reason why I wont buy another Stax SR-001 Mk II.

A transportable rig is a little different. Something which for example you'd cart around with your laptop (e.g. a pro wallwart-powered soundcard) for listening while stationary, while having something else lightweight to listen to on the road.

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #341 of 1,335
I guess for me, if it fits in my backpack, it's portable. I walk the 30 minutes or so to & from work every day with backpack in tow...& that's basically the extent of my portable use. I'm presently trying to figure out how I can get a meridian/raptor into my backpack.
eggosmile.gif

Hey bangraman...are the qualia's isolating enough for street usage (i.e., busy street...lot's of cars/traffic buzzing by)?

Peace,

Graz

Apr 17, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #343 of 1,335
bangraman...I think, out of all of the portable rig photos I've seen, yours is by far the most intriguing. You've amassed a considerable level of experience with a wide (staggering?) array of portable gear & quality cans (far more than I). I can't help but take notice of what you're currently going with.

Peace,

Graz

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #345 of 1,335
hd38ke.jpg

my old car has no line-in so im using a cassette adapter. it works great after setting the hd3 to line-out

btw, the qualia is more expensive than my hd3 and car combined LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back