Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600)
Feb 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #346 of 1,119
I can always count on input (and very good input) mind you out here. I know I'll surely inflame the crowd with this but I'm not liking the 240 aesthetically at all:blink:  I realize I'm not listening with my eyes I just think the 100 II/120 are better looking units, heck for that matter I still find the DX50 to be one of the best looking DAP's I've seen of course this is just my PO! 

Seriously Sky, you think the DX50/C5 combo with either Roxanne's or Kaiser's would be a better DAP than the AK100II or 120? The one thing I know for sure now is if I want to hypnotize you or TrollD I just need to wave a 240 in front of you:tongue_smile:  LOL

Actually! You're like me in some ways too! :)

If my player is not the same fit as my amp, they do not sound as good as they could be. :wink: Appearances DO affect our listening experience! I find the AK240, although pretty sexy with the carbon fibre backing, to be a bit too edgy with the looks of an iPod Nano 7th gen planted in the middle. That aside, it could be way better IMO, but hey...if its the TOTL DAP; hell yeah its hypnotizing! Haha :D

As of the pairing? I believe the DX50/C5 rig is better thanthe stock AK100. I ddon't actually remember you mentioning an AK120 in there any where tbh..I do remember an "AK100 II", which is the revised AK100, but not an AK120. If the AK120 was an option for you, I would've simply recommended you that over the other mid-fi DAPs any day. :)

CORRECTION: You did mention AK120, but that was in the post BEFORE I replied to you, so all I saw from there was "AK100/AK100 II".

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #347 of 1,119
Actually! You're like me in some ways too!
smily_headphones1.gif

If my player is not the same fit as my amp, they do not sound as good as they could be.
wink.gif
Appearances DO affect our listening experience! I find the AK240, although pretty sexy with the carbon fibre backing, to be a bit too edgy with the looks of an iPod Nano 7th gen planted in the middle. That aside, it could be way better IMO, but hey...if its the TOTL DAP; hell yeah its hypnotizing! Haha
biggrin.gif

As of the pairing? I believe the DX50/C5 rig is better thanthe stock AK100. I ddon't actually remember you mentioning an AK120 in there any where tbh..I do remember an "AK100 II", which is the revised AK100, but not an AK120. If the AK120 was an option for you, I would've simply recommended you that over the other mid-fi DAPs any day.
smily_headphones1.gif

CORRECTION: You did mention AK120, but that was in the post BEFORE I replied to you, so all I saw from there was "AK100/AK100 II".

So the AK100 II basically solved the output impedance situation and got it down from 20 to 3. Outside of the AK120 having the dual DAC is it worth the 5/6 shims over the 100 II?

Knowing I finally want to get some CIEM's I've now got to figure out if Noble's Kaiser 10's are better or just different than JH's Roxanne's
confused_face_2.gif

Would either of these CIEM's need external amping from either of these AK's to sound their best! Obviously dropping this kind of $$$ one wants to make good choices. I'm just trying to find a middle groun d for price and function I can justify to myself and my ears live with it
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #348 of 1,119
  So the AK100 II basically solved the output impedance situation and got it down from 20 to 3. Outside of the AK120 having the dual DAC is it worth the 5/6 shims over the 100 II?

Knowing I finally want to get some CIEM's I've now got to figure out if Noble's Kaiser 10's are better or just different than JH's Roxanne's
confused_face_2.gif

Would either of these CIEM's need external amping from either of these AK's to sound their best! Obviously dropping this kind of $$$ one wants to make good choices. I'm just trying to find a middle groun d for price and function I can justify to myself and my ears live with it
wink.gif

the impendence of the ak100 might be an issue with it being so high.  

havent heard the roxanne or the kaiser 10, but personally id lean towards JH (Maybe cuz i have jh13's). This is just me but from what I've gathered is that the nobles are just pretty.  The wizard is known for pretty ciems, not the best sounding.  

But i've heard some Quality control issues with the new adapter plug for the roxannes.  I don't know if its fixed now but be aware of that all.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #349 of 1,119

the impendence of the ak100 might be an issue with it being so high.  

havent heard the roxanne or the kaiser 10, but personally id lean towards JH (Maybe cuz i have jh13's). This is just me but from what I've gathered is that the nobles are just pretty.  The wizard is known for pretty ciems, not the best sounding.  

But i've heard some Quality control issues with the new adapter plug for the roxannes.  I don't know if its fixed now but be aware of that all.

THX Teke, I like this kind of input. I have considered the proprietary cable on the Roxanne and I have a friend who currently owns and swears by his JH13's. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #350 of 1,119
  THX Teke, I like this kind of input. I have considered the proprietary cable on the Roxanne and I have a friend who currently owns and swears by his JH13's. 

yep, JH13's.... how many years old and I'd still pit them against any universal or custom iem.   

You have to remember Jerry Harvey use to run ultimate ears, his last work for them, the TF10 is still a crowd favorite to this day.... and some prefer it over UE's new flagship UE900.  

He's like the god-father of BA iems.  

Long live the JH13!

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #351 of 1,119

Knowing I finally want to get some CIEM's I've now got to figure out if Noble's Kaiser 10's are better or just different than JH's Roxanne's:confused_face_2:  

Would either of these CIEM's need external amping from either of these AK's to sound their best! Obviously dropping this kind of $$$ one wants to make good choices. I'm just trying to find a middle groun d for price and function I can justify to myself and my ears live with it:wink:  

I personally think, from what I've read, is that the AK120 is probably more suited for driving CIEMs without the requirement of an amp.

As of CIEM assist, that is not my department, sadly. If you want a random input, I say go the Kaiser 10 for those sexy designs. :p

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #352 of 1,119
THX Sky, appreciate the input. Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #354 of 1,119

I've rejoined team iBasso.

And I thought the DN1ks were good before...

Nice JoeDoe, I still think the DX-50 is a really sweet looking DAP. Doing everything in my power to hold back
redface.gif
 Rudi and the Posse have told me to just go right for the AK120! 

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #355 of 1,119
Well back in the day (we are talking oldskool here) this little setup was 3 bills
eek.gif

I believe these EB5's were some of JH's early work
bigsmile_face.gif
 Battery is long gone in this Mini but it still serves faithfully on the kitchen iGroove
cool.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #356 of 1,119

I've rejoined team iBasso.

And I thought the DN1ks were good before...

So much for holding out till the new daps come eh? Looks good sir

Well back in the day (we are talking oldskool here) this little setup was 3 bills:eek:

I believe these EB5's were some of JH's early work:bigsmile_face:  Battery is long gone in this Mini but it still serves faithfully on the kitchen iGroove:cool:

Ipod mini FTW! I just ordered a 16gb cf card for mine lol

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #357 of 1,119
So much for holding out till the new daps come eh? Looks good sir

Yeah, I don't see myself spending that much change on a nicer dap when those guys come out. Trying to work on working with happy mediums these days!

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #358 of 1,119
Yeah Teke, that little rig might be considered the cro-magnon walkabout
blink.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #359 of 1,119
Got some new 100's, not sure if I like the II's over the originals but I really should give them some break-in time. I'm really liking the build quality and single entry as opposed to the split
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #360 of 1,119
Yeah, I don't see myself spending that much change on a nicer dap when those guys come out. Trying to work on working with happy mediums these days!

"Happy Mediums" does that actually exist out here in Head-Fi-Delphia
blink.gif

Seriously Joe I like the way you roll, all three setups in your signature are well thought out/synergized
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back