Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #2,071 of 3,551

Quote:

That depends entirely on your choice of music.  If you're listening to classical music, or something with a lot of percussion instruments, soundstage is vital to bringing an engaging presentation.  Although speakers are more difficult to perfect in terms of acoustic treatments and positioning, I find that speakers perform far better than their headphone analogues.

You might get substantially better performance out of a pair of 150usd headphones vs. 10,000usd speakers, depending on the company's philosophy on "accurate" musical reproduction. "Engaging" is quite subjective. To me it's the ability to follow everything to the note (its designated pitch), almost like monitoring, and not so much the physical or tonal feel. 

Of course I agree with you when pitting actually good speakers against actually good headphones. Still, it's not really the soundstage for me what separates speakers from headphones, but rather the linearity, smoothness, real tunefulness, sound pressure levels that affect you more than just aurally. At best, natural presentation that, given a good source (recording), is near the real thing... Of course I can't picture speakers with the soundstage of a headphone and it might well be a merged quality to the previously mentioned ones that I just can't fathom as a single entity...

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,072 of 3,551

Quote:
Who cares about soundstage? That doesn't look good for anything... No offense. I'm having problems with much smaller speakers in a much bigger space. Standing waves foremost, but other stuff too. A tricky resonance inducing frequency or a proper standing wave makes it difficult to have tuneful bass-response. I'm actually thinking of downgrading from my linn akurate 212's due to my difficult room characteristics 
frown.gif

Or you could buy a TacT 2.2 XP.

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/RCS22XP/index.html

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #2,073 of 3,551

Quote:
Or you could buy a TacT 2.2 XP.

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/RCS22XP/index.html

An interesting product. However impossible to implement to my Majik DS-i, and way too expensive. Checking affordable/interchangeable acoustic solutions at the moment. Thanks anyway!

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #2,074 of 3,551

Quote:
 One of the biggest reasons for buying speakers over headphones is the soundstage.  If you don't have soundstage with your speakers, you've got a problem.

That's definitely agreeable. But what about the people who live in a dorm or very small house?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,076 of 3,551

Quote:
Good to see there are still considerate people out there.  I wish my roommates were the same way, but no, they have to all blast their $70 Logitech computer speakers...

Haha. I see what you mean. Still thinking of getting a pair of AudioEngine speakers hooked up to a Miniwatt amp.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #2,077 of 3,551

Quote:
Added a new amp to play with.

Those are some beastly amps!

I don't think I ever made it past 12 o'clock on the b22 volume dial back when I was playing around with the balanced connections. You're all set for the HE-6
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2,079 of 3,551

Quote:
Nah just get a huge sub and listen to it with your headphones. Annoys them and adds some nice bass thump to your headphone listening. :D

I already have a headphone setup going though. Valhalla, Bifrost, and HD650. Want something that's easy, sounds good, and in use when I don't want to wear headphones/am lazy... 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,081 of 3,551
Very nice Sachu, congrats on the LL/009. Is that a proto LF below the LL?

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,082 of 3,551
It's only the o2mk1. The combo with the test amp is pure bliss to my ears. My upgraditis for headphones and amp ends with this combo.

Have no desire to own the 009. Next upgrades will all come to the speaker rig.

And yes its a test lf amp with an early proto design that I use exclusively as a preamplifier. Running Siemens halske ecc88 in them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back