Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jul 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,098 of 3,551
HORY SHET

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #1,100 of 3,551
Yes, I have one McIntosh MC 1/2KW for each channel of my 5 channel home theatre system.  I built this system over a five year period.  I must admit that some of the McIntosh was bought at an audio salon in NYC while other pieces were bought on Audiogon. Audiogon enabled me to say roughly 30% off the retail price; Money is a relative thing; but loving audio, sound and music is my passion.  What is high end to one person may not be anywhere close to being high end to another. The good news is that I am now done purchasing audio for a while and now all I have to do is sit in the big easy chair and enjoy my system.  Scottsmrnyc

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,104 of 3,551
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I appreciate it.  You really only live once. I just lost both of my parents over a period of two months; April and June.  It was a lesson to me; not that I just have to go out and buy buy buy to satisfy myself; but you have to enjoy those things that are important to you.  I should let you know that I am not married, haven't any children and don't own a car; so the expense what perhaps more manageble.  Also, my system was built over a five year period; piece by piece.  I originally thought to myself that there would be no way I could afford to purchase all this stuff at retail prices.  If I did so, it would cost well over $120,000.00USD with the tax.  Then I discovered Audiogon, where I was able to find local sellers, close in in NYC, who had new or almost new pieces.  I new I wanted all McIntosh as I loved the Deep, Smooth sound they produced.  It was like having tubed amps with solid state-plus all that extra power- which is certainly overkill on my part.  I found that Audiogon afforded my almost a 35% reduction in cost per piece and I was lucky enough to find one seller who I bought the second set of MC 1.2KWs and the MVP 881BR who drove down and set them up for me free of charge. So that is the story of my McIntosh world.  If anyone out there in the headfi world wants a demo/audition, don't hesitate to contact me.  Enjoy Scottsmrnyc

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,105 of 3,551
Hey, im very sorry to hear about you tragedy, my mom's cousin also just past a few days ago. I also love McIntosh and there design and how reputabe they are. I may have to stop by if you dont mind in two years as i may be going to the home entertainment expo.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #1,106 of 3,551

thanks for the good words and sorry for your loss as well.  One thing about buying all this stuff is that before I did, I went to a lot of shows to do my research.  I originally started with headphones and headphone amps; so I went to CanJam 2007, 2008 and 2009.  I would have come to Canjam 2010 if it weren't for my losses.  I am also lucky enough to be able to do a lot of comparitive and informative shopping here on the island of Manhattan because there are a number of high end dealerships in which to get good advice.  One in particular was very helpful to me, Lyric Hifi and I purchased the first set of McIntosh Mc1.2Kws from them.  They were so nice that they invited me to a special audition of some very expense Nola speakers- which I did not think of buying.  I recently went in to Lyric and purchased the Sennheiser HD800s which I like very much.  So I guess if you take your time in building such a system, it will not be as painful as it could be if you bought the stuff all at once.  Scottsmrnyc

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,109 of 3,551

Quote:

thanks for the good words and sorry for your loss as well.  One thing about buying all this stuff is that before I did, I went to a lot of shows to do my research.  I originally started with headphones and headphone amps; so I went to CanJam 2007, 2008 and 2009.  I would have come to Canjam 2010 if it weren't for my losses.  I am also lucky enough to be able to do a lot of comparitive and informative shopping here on the island of Manhattan because there are a number of high end dealerships in which to get good advice.  One in particular was very helpful to me, Lyric Hifi and I purchased the first set of McIntosh Mc1.2Kws from them.  They were so nice that they invited me to a special audition of some very expense Nola speakers- which I did not think of buying.  I recently went in to Lyric and purchased the Sennheiser HD800s which I like very much.  So I guess if you take your time in building such a system, it will not be as painful as it could be if you bought the stuff all at once.  Scottsmrnyc

Not only do you live in a place that I admire and respect more than any other place on Earth and I know I will live there one day soon (upper westside for preference!) but you have a marvellous HIFI system as well!
I am sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through, I nursed my mother for the last eight years of her life and she passed at a far to young 68 years of age. You will always have the memories of them even as the years pass.

Well done you on spending your hard earned on that which brings you pleasure. We are not here to live in austerity, life is too precious for that.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #1,110 of 3,551
Had to sell off most all my gear. Big Merlins, deHavilland, expensive cables, all gone
frown.gif

So here is the "Formerly High End, Holy Crap I Lost My Job System"

I was surprised to discover it doesn't suck. Might be able to live with it for a while.
On the right we have a Peachtree Nova integrated Amp/Pre-amp/DAC.
Next shelf down a Logitech Transporter that sends it's digital output to the Nova by a Cardas Neutral Reference digital cable.
Below that is my Belles Reference 150A amp that hasn't sold yet.
On the left we have a Bottlehead Crack amp. The headphone amp in the Nova is pretty good, but the Crack is better.
On the bottom shelf, a Chang Lightspeed power line filter
Speakers are Silverline Audio Preludes, shockingly good for the money and room shaking bass (yeah, really)
Speaker cables & power cords are from Soundstring. Another great value for the money company.
Kept my Linn LP-12 (over there on the shelf guarded by the stuffed gorillas). Couldn't let that go. And the Benz phono stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back