Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jul 17, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #32 of 3,551
Here's my high-end setup
tongue.gif

Picture-1.jpg

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #34 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Living the SET/High efficiency thing a try and really liking it
biggrin.gif
. Wife got to pick the color for the speakers (that really helps get new speakers in the house, hint, hint). Headphone stuff is on top left of the rack.

Todd,

Agreed re: the SET/Hi-Eff. Love those Zus and the colour does look great (as you noted ... any colour that get new speaks in the door is OK
rolleyes.gif
). I've picked up the Tones in one rig and, though not paired with a SET, just love their sound - very natural & without fatigue. It's clear that the Zu sound, especially concerning the Druids, is definitely a like it or not sound with very few people on the fence.

A couple of questions - given how particular Druids are with respect to proper bass loading, did it take you a long time to dial them in? Did you compare them where they are now directly on the carpet vs, say, having them placed on a solid surface (slate or wood slab)?

Cheers,
Garry

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #36 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Todd,

Agreed re: the SET/Hi-Eff. Love those Zus and the colour does look great (as you noted ... any colour that get new speaks in the door is OK
rolleyes.gif
). I've picked up the Tones in one rig and, though not paired with a SET, just love their sound - very natural & without fatigue. It's clear that the Zu sound, especially concerning the Druids, is definately a like it or not sound with very few people on the fence.

A couple of questions - given how particular Druids are with respect to proper bass loading, did it take you a long time to dial them in? Did you compare them where they are now directly on the carpet vs, say, having them placed on a solid surface (slate or wood slab)?

Cheers,
Garry

Gary,
I can't imagine anyone not liking the Druids if they are set up properly & broke in. (Zu is putting 160 hrs on them before shipping now).

I've only tried them on carpet. Only had them for 2 weeks on their 60 day trial period, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep them.

They didn't sound right for about the 1st 5 hrs, but then they started to settle in and slowly got better. As time went by the bass got stronger and the details started to come out more clearly.

Getting them dialed in only took a couple days of playing around with placement. Last weekend when playing a very bass heavy CD, the bass sounded kind of loose and overblown. Turning the spikes in a couple turns so the bottom port sat closer to the floor tightened it right up.

Fine tuning will go on as I listen to them more of course.
TR

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #37 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Getting them dialed in only took a couple days of playing around with placement. Last weekend when playing a very bass heavy CD, the bass sounded kind of loose and overblown. Turning the spikes in a couple turns so the bottom port sat closer to the floor tightened it right up.

I've spent a tremendous amount of time listing to the entire Zu line, but mostly the Druids, and, at first, it took a little getting used to before determining that they were to my liking. In my experience, a distance of approximately one CD case measured from the bottom of the speaker base to the floor will yield the best results - I believe that Zu recommends this as well. Of course this will depend somewhat on the surface they're sitting on.

For me, the coherence of single driver configurations is really addictive and I especially like the fact that, even at low volumes, there's a fair amount of detail. Good luck with them.

Cheers,
Garry

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and that's it? No one else has pictures of their High End Audio toys.

come on, Post em.

Not sure I exactly qualify...

97244855.jpg

The silver box on the upper right was recently replaced with a Stax SRM1 MKII and SR Lambda Pro.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #43 of 3,551
But then again that wouldnt belong in the High End subforum.

Fantastic pictures! Makes my rather modest gear look a bit bland...
redface.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #45 of 3,551
My headphone rig only for now:

K1000Rig_7151.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back