Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,731 of 3,551
Quote:

Any Macbook with Amarra installed
wink_face.gif

+1.... Enjoying Amarra at the moment....
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2,733 of 3,551
Quote:

Any Macbook with Amarra installed
wink_face.gif

+2 -- Amarra Hifi absolutely contributes to my MacBook Pro-based HD 800 rig sounding what I'd definitely call a high-end system. I'll post a pic / some pics soon. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,734 of 3,551
Quote:

Am also wondering when HDtracks will start releasing 384/24 files so I can fully utilize the Zodiac Gold.
bigsmile_face.gif

Then you'd still run the risk that they are just converted CD rips (*ducks for cover*)

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,736 of 3,551
Then you'd still run the risk that they are just converted CD rips (*ducks for cover*)

Unfortunately that is quite a valid concern, even for 24/96 material.

I have taken a hiatus from HDtracks until they can start providing mastering pedigrees of their titles.

This was mitigated by the fact that I have some Japanese XRCD and SHM red-book CD's that sound considerably better than many of my so called "high-res" purchases.

OTOH some albums do indeed sound quite good but I don't like to gamble with my discretionary income.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,737 of 3,551
Agree that many so called high res titles can't even compare to red books, especially when the red books are played through a high end CD transport. Can't beat CAS/DAC for its convenience though.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,738 of 3,551
I guess that goes to show you just how good a well-mastered CD can be, even limited to 16/44.1. And I don't know of any CD's that make use of the 110db of available dynamic range anyway.

On a side note, some of my best sounding highres recordings are from clean vinyl, although this likely has more to do with the better mastering found on newer pressings as compared to their CD counterparts.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #2,739 of 3,551
Let's talk about CDs!

I agree that well-mastered CDs can be very good sounding. There is a general hype in the Hong Kong market in recent years on CD masters... Names like AQCD, AMCD, HQCD, K2HD, direct cut 1:1, LPCD are just too confusing. For ordinary redbook CDs (excluding SACDs and HDCDs), the only kind of CDs which I think really stands out is the SHM-CD.  SHM-SACDs are also available, but they are at extraordinary prices - price only second to the "glass" CDs and Esoteric branded SACDs. I find the sound of SHM-CDs is quite commendable and SHM CDs are generally quite good in their masterings. 

Not sure if any of you heard about it, but we also have "glass CDs" ... They go for US$1,000 to US2,000 per CD. If the glass CDs sound that good, I am just wondering why no one made them into SACDs. I would spend US$2,000 on tons of HDtracks downloads and redbooks, or an extra pair of LCD3, rather than spending them on just one glass CD, listening to the greatness of the glass CD but with only, what, 10 tracks over and over gain.

Last but not least, people here think that the first batches of the CDs released in the market sound the best, so the price of the very first batches of some vintage CDs soared. They claim they can identify the very first batches by looking at the inner ring of the CDs. They claim that the mould for pressing the CDs would wear over time, therefore discs in the first few pressings are always the best sounding... I don't know, dude, but I would have thought that the emphasis should be on how the master is converted to digital in the first place, rather than how the bits are burnt onto the CD. 

I believe the situation in the States or Europe is not as bad, but I am sure most of you heard that, say, a Japanese version CD would sound better than the original CD (same recording / publisher).

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2,740 of 3,551
Quote:

+2 -- Amarra Hifi absolutely contributes to my MacBook Pro-based HD 800 rig sounding what I'd definitely call a high-end system. I'll post a pic / some pics soon. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening right now to REM Automatic for the People 24/48 via Macbook Retina Pro > Amarra 2.4 > Nuforce DAC-100 > HD800 and I'm in heaven.  And this isn't even my best rig.  

Amarra makes the Macbook pro USB > Perfectwave DAC with iTunes sound about as good as the NAS > Bridge on my Perfectwave DAC. It really refines the sound for use with my HD800 and SR-009 which are so revealing.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2,741 of 3,551
Quote:
Listening right now to REM Automatic for the People 24/48 via Macbook Retina Pro > Amarra 2.4 > Nuforce DAC-100 > HD800 and I'm in heaven.  And this isn't even my best rig.  

Amarra makes the Macbook pro USB > Perfectwave DAC with iTunes sound about as good as the NAS > Bridge on my Perfectwave DAC. It really refines the sound for use with my HD800 and SR-009 which are so revealing.

I agree. While previously satisfied with Foobar with WASAPI or ASIO plugins, it became no comparison with the Macbook Pro with Amarra, when you do connect your computer to a better DAC. I compared the Foobar using Windows 7 and Amarra on the Mountain Lion, on the very same MBP, and the Foobar was simply a joke in comparison, IMO.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2,742 of 3,551
This thread is derailing a bit, so what's one more comment re: CD vs HDtracks. I agree that technically CD quality is more than enough, but in one recent case for example, I was checking out a recent album at the DR database, and only the vinyl version was halfway decent. All the CD pressings were below par, probably aimed at the young(er) crowd more typical for the band?

And one other "good" one: the recently released HDtracks version, obviously based off the vinyl master. I don't even care if it was truly "HD", bought it because it was off a better master... and verified it myself w/ the DR meter. So sometimes CD just doesn't offer any decent version, and sometimes HDtracks delivers, so I wouldn't dismiss them outright, just be picky about what to buy...

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #2,743 of 3,551
Quote:
This thread is derailing a bit, so what's one more comment re: CD vs HDtracks. I agree that technically CD quality is more than enough, but in one recent case for example, I was checking out a recent album at the DR database, and only the vinyl version was halfway decent. All the CD pressings were below par, probably aimed at the young(er) crowd more typical for the band?

And one other "good" one: the recently released HDtracks version, obviously based off the vinyl master. I don't even care if it was truly "HD", bought it because it was off a better master... and verified it myself w/ the DR meter. So sometimes CD just doesn't offer any decent version, and sometimes HDtracks delivers, so I wouldn't dismiss them outright, just be picky about what to buy...

Hey GrumpyOldMan... I agree - it is hard to tell though... Wish there is someone who buys all versions of the CDs out there and also the high res version from HD Tracks to compare - but even then we don't know whether we should trust the comparisons because everyone hears differently.  Or maybe start a thread on that so people can share their thoughts on different versions of vinyl / CD/ digital files.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,745 of 3,551
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately that is quite a valid concern, even for 24/96 material.

I have taken a hiatus from HDtracks until they can start providing mastering pedigrees of their titles.

This was mitigated by the fact that I have some Japanese XRCD and SHM red-book CD's that sound considerably better than many of my so called "high-res" purchases.

OTOH some albums do indeed sound quite good but I don't like to gamble with my discretionary income.

Not long ago, tired of being had, took and misled, I too, decided to go on strike (hiatus) from HDTracks. Then lunchtime the same day, email from HDTracks hit my in-box regarding Stevie Wonder's 'Innervisions' now available in 24/96 kHz. 
rolleyes.gif
 I'm shopping there less often but Stevie was a must BUY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back