Pictorial Review: AKG K701 w/ comparison to DT880 and AD700
Oct 20, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #61 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I was thinking, what if I sold all my headphones ($500-600) and bought some really really nice headphones to replace them?

That's a good idea. If you like the AT sound then maybe a higher end AT is for you e.g. AD2000. I also read somewhere that there is an upgrade to the "A" series coming out soon.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good idea. If you like the AT sound then maybe a higher end AT is for you e.g. AD2000. I also read somewhere that there is an upgrade to the "A" series coming out soon.

Yeah the AD2000's do interest me. Maybe if they're on sale at some point...

I might add that I'm not TOO fond of the DT880's sound sig. The mids are still too dry for me and the soundstage seems too compressed. I do love the bass though, and the details that they reveal.

The K701's are on trademe now btw for a KEEERAAAZY cheap price
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #64 of 105
Quote:

The K701's are on trademe now btw for a KEEERAAAZY cheap price

Just bought them.

I have had been thinking of trying these for ages. Seemed like a good opportunity.
darthsmile.gif

Will post my impressions vs my current sennheiser HD650s

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the AD2000's do interest me. Maybe if they're on sale at some point...

I have the AD700 too and would love to try the AD2000 someday. Ive read they are more forward than the AD700 and have a smaller, more compressed soundstage which worries me about them a little. I plan on upgrading to the AD900 and maybe eventually trying the AD2000.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #66 of 105
very nice review on the K701
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought them.

I have had been thinking of trying these for ages. Seemed like a good opportunity.
darthsmile.gif

Will post my impressions vs my current sennheiser HD650s

I'll be waiting for your impressions. Im also thinking of getting the K701 as backup to my HD650
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #67 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the AD700 too and would love to try the AD2000 someday. Ive read they are more forward than the AD700 and have a smaller, more compressed soundstage which worries me about them a little. I plan on upgrading to the AD900 and maybe eventually trying the AD2000.

My 48's showed me that a small soundstage isn't the end all. Theres much more to a soundstage then size, depth, and width.. Like accuracy and coherency.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 48's showed me that a small soundstage isn't the end all. Theres much more to a soundstage then size, depth, and width.. Like accuracy and coherency.

You mean stage imaging?

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #69 of 105
Thanks for the review, fraseyboy. I checked this often when debating between the AD700 and K701. I've decided to go with the AD700, and will listen to them when they get here tomorrow.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #71 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

while the 'stage' wasn't big, the environmental effects and studio room reverberation on the 48's were so realistic to me. I have not heard a great big soundstage yet, including my dt880's, but i am building an amp for them so hopefully they can wow me?

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while the 'stage' wasn't big, the environmental effects and studio room reverberation on the 48's were so realistic to me. I have not heard a great big soundstage yet, including my dt880's, but i am building an amp for them so hopefully they can wow me?

My DT880's were amped from the Little Dot MK II which is a very nice amp IMO, and the soundstage wasn't exactly massive.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #73 of 105
OK, I finally got around to posting some impressions [if you look back in the thread, I bought the OP's K701s]

I have had the K701s for a couple of months now. Definitely prefer them to my Sennheiser HD650s. To sum it up briefly, the K701s sound like the HD650s with the "veil" removed. Perhaps not quite as much bass as the HD650s, but still very good. There is not a lot in it, but every time I switch back to the HD650s I feel they sound just slightly "muffled" or "veiled".

My brief description of the K701s would be: lots of detail, very neutral, no major weaknesses.

Any New Zealanders fancy a cheapish set of HD650s ? About 5 years old, in good condition cosmetically. Send me a PM.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I finally got around to posting some impressions [if you look back in the thread, I bought the OP's K701s]

I have had the K701s for a couple of months now. Definitely prefer them to my Sennheiser HD650s. To sum it up briefly, the K701s sound like the HD650s with the "veil" removed. Perhaps not quite as much bass as the HD650s, but still very good. There is not a lot in it, but every time I switch back to the HD650s I feel they sound just slightly "muffled" or "veiled".

My brief description of the K701s would be: lots of detail, very neutral, no major weaknesses.

Any New Zealanders fancy a cheapish set of HD650s ? About 5 years old, in good condition cosmetically. Send me a PM.

Since i read this thread with interest (Thanks to the OP) and i was considering K701/K702 and DT880, and currently own AD700, i wonder, how do you amp both the K701 and HD650, and what's your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back