Pics of my modded SR-60
Sep 4, 2005 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kontai69

1000+ Head-Fier
See UPDATE below...
I did these mods to my SR-60s and I thought people maybe interested in seeing the results and learning how they could do it for themselves if they so desired. These mods can also be done to the SR-80, SR-125, as well as the Alessandro MS-1 since they all use the same plastic driver housing.

I first replaced the plastic grill with a wire mesh. I used a silver steel mesh material from a steel mesh drawer organizer box. I found them at Bed Bath and Beyond for $5. I have seen similar items at most office supply stores like Staples. I cut out and shaped two circular disks from the bottom of the mesh box with my Dremel tool and then inserted it in place of the stock plastic one. I used black silicon adhesive to hold it in place. I guess you could also use hot glue like Grado does. The result makes my SR-60 look much like the SR-225. You can look here for various methods on how to crack open the earcups to remove the stock grill...
http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=grado_prj.htm
With my cans, I was able to pry apart the earcups with just my bare hands. I used a hairdryer to carefully soften the glue around the plastic grills to facilitate their removal. Don't overdue it with the hairdryer as to melt the plastic! You may want to use aluminum foil to "mask" the heat in areas you don't want to expose to heat.

I next made two small blobs (around 1cm in diameter) from black elastomer taken from a sheet of Dynamat Xtreme sound damping material. I applied it to the back of each transducer, being careful not to cover the two tiny holes. You can see the oval-shaped blob in the center of the first pic below, partially obstructed from view by the cable. I was inspired to do this mod when I used to own the RS-1 where I noticed that there was a tar-like material applied at this location. I also used a rolled piece of Dynamat elastomer to hold the two halves of the earcups together. I guess you could hot glue them together if you want.

I also did the coin mod to the stock comfies. I place the pads on a plastic cutting board and firmly pressed a coin (nickel) against the center of the pad. I then used an extremely sharp X-Acto knife with a pointed wedge-shaped blade and made my cut around the edge of the coin. This results in perfect circles.

I'm pretty happy with the overall sound of the modded SR-60: deep tight bass, open sound, treble seems a little rolled off. Most unfortunately, I can't really accurately comment on any sonic effects of the mods since I waited a long time between dismantling my SR-60 to finding a suitable screen material to replace the stock plastic screen. Also, my headband was broken before I did the mods so I couldn't even listen to them properly. I now have a leather unpadded SR-325i replacement headband I bought from Grado, heh-heh.

However, I did A/B compare my modded SR-60 and with a SR-225 at a recent HeadFi meet. The SR-225 had slightly better bass extension and a more neutral clearer midrange. I used modded Senn pads on both. Interestingly, I did not see the popular SR-60 anywhere to do an unmodded comparison.

Here are a couple of pics...
621380_61_full.jpg

621380_60_full.jpg

UPDATE (4-23-07): I got hold of a new SR-60 and attempted to mod it as described above. It seems Grado is now using superstrong adhesive (epoxy?) to attach the plastic grills to the cups (as well as the "SR-60" buttons to the grill). With my older SR-60s, everything was hot glued together and can be disassembled after heating with a hairdryer. With the new glue, there seems to be no way to remove the grills without breaking them off and grinding down the leftover plastic from inside the cups. Luckily, the two halves of the earcups are still held together with hot glue.

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd also like to know how much that headband cost. Seeing how my SR-60's headband has fallen apart and isn't getting much usage, I might have to try my hand at modding similar to your work.

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 16
He said they are 10 years old, which leads me to believe that's when Grado used the nicer headbands on all of their headphones.

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
He said they are 10 years old, which leads me to believe that's when Grado used the nicer headbands on all of their headphones.

My 10-year old SR-60s came with the vinyl headband which looks identical to the ones offered today. The replacement leather headband was $45 shipped from Grado. I read an old post that said Grado won't allow people to replace their vinyl headbands with a leather one, even if you were willing to pay for it. I'll leave it to your imagination how I got them to send me one.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
My 10-year old SR-60s came with the vinyl headband which looks identical to the ones offered today. The replacement leather headband was $45 shipped from Grado. I read an old post that said Grado won't allow people to replace their vinyl headbands with a leather one, even if you were willing to pay for it. I'll leave it to your imagination how I got them to send me one.
evil_smiley.gif

*cough* My RS-1 band screwed up *cough*
icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 16
I had the SR80's & SR125's & removing the perferated plastic did wonders for the sound. Better soundstage & much less conjestion to the midrange.The metal screen you used should not have any effect on the sound unlike the perferated plastic back.

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Wow. I almost forgot that I even did those mods. It's been a while. I sold them a long while ago to a fellow Head-Fi'er.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 16
nice work to the OP..only do you fear more dust and impurities passing through the diamond shaped openings? They seem larger and able to receive more direct sun and sediment from the air, etc..

Well done though
[size=x-small]..*wheels turning on similar MS-1 mod*[/size]

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*cough* My RS-1 band screwed up *cough*
icon10.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I next applied a small blob of Dynamat Xtreme sound damping material to the back of the transducers. I was inspired to do this mod when I used to own the RS-1 where I noticed that there was a tar-like material applied at this location. I also used a rolled piece of Dynamat to hold the two halves of the earcups together.

Too bad we don't have picture of this.

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad we don't have picture of this.

You can kind of see it through the grill in the first picture. It is oval shaped. Unfortunately, I no longer have the headphone (sold it) so I can't take any more pics of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back