Pics of mini META
Sep 13, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #16 of 114
You should rename the mini META based amp the 'FIXUP' & the super mini the 'MINI FIXUP'. The FIXUP name would then be synonimous with minature amps! COOL!
cool.gif

For that plug, I deserve a big discount... no?
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, how much smaller can it get? You mentioned that it can be powered as low as 3V (2AA/AAA). Imagine using those rechargeable 'chewing gum' type batteries from PCDPs! Now there's an idea... would it fit in a TIC TAC casing or something similar? Mini porta source + tictacFIXUP + Etys = Ubër portable.

Sep 13, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 114
N@Z, I cannot comment on the name issue - my post will be deleted anything commercial related. I can only talk on technical stuff which actually I enjoy the most.
I remember someone in Korea already made some very tiny amps. I love uinque but simple things. CMoy's amp is a very good example. I cut down the META badly (sorry, Tangent) and only kept the key part. I swear that among all the projects in headwize, I only looked into the CMoy, CHA47 and META42, nothing else. My amps have nothing special but the idea of using the Radio Shack batt cases and dancing solely in the cases. When I started to build an amp for myself, one thing was clear: I don't want use 9V batt. So I went to RS looking for a AA or AAA batt case. When I saw these two cases, they were too perfect to be true - they even have built-in switches! Now I hear people saying: wow, the case looks like customized for the amp! It is exactly the reverse: the amp is customized to the case.

Sep 13, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 114
Can both the mini and super mini accept a 9V? How about connection to a wall wart? Have you tried them with HD580's or HD600's?

Sep 13, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 114
I just ordered a super mini yesterday... Haven't gotten a confirmation on the order, but I guess I'm just being unpatient... (?)

Hopefully it'll be here before my vacation starts in 1 1/2 weeks...

Sep 13, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
But seriously, how much smaller can it get? You mentioned that it can be powered as low as 3V (2AA/AAA). Imagine using those rechargeable 'chewing gum' type batteries from PCDPs! Now there's an idea... would it fit in a TIC TAC casing or something similar? Mini porta source + tictacFIXUP + Etys = Ubër portable.

I think Tanget made a really small amp. And I remember seeing a small CMOY in a tiny round can, perhaps around the size of a 25 cents coin, that worked with watch batteries. I guess you can get really small with the rigth components.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 114
TimD: Where are you???

Thanks for the pictures and the brief review of the Mini-Fixup/META-Hybrid. By putting the mini on the floppy, you provided the best example so far of the scale of this tiny amp!

But I'd bet that many of us are waiting (impatiently!) for your more in-depth review. OK, maybe it's just me. But I'm itching to hear your comments, especially when using Etys.

Thanks!!!

Bruce

Sep 13, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
But I'd bet that many of us are waiting (impatiently!) for your more in-depth review. OK, maybe it's just me. But I'm itching to hear your comments, especially when using Etys.

Thanks!!!

Bruce

No, me too. I would like to see a follow-up review, especially one that includes the Etys.

Sep 13, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 114
I can't give you guys what you want, so I will continue to just give impressions with a headphone that practically no one else has(or ever reviewed)!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm using my AKG240S primarily because they are my convenience phones. I suffer from the Ety curse...I rarely get phone calls... except when I put them on, so I typically only listen to them at night. Seeing as I only had the amp for a few days. And I've been having too much fun with the AKG240S with this amp to swap...I can't pull some in-depth Ety review outta my...hat. However my AKG240S is a well behaved and balanced headphone so positive qualities will typically carry over and I have briefly tried the amp with my ER4S with the same positive impressions.

I spent more time testing it with my different sources, and it continues to power the AKG240S with gusto on its slim battery supply. I'm just listening to my tuner and CDP right now seeing how well it works with a RCA -> female minijack at the input + headphone extension cord at the output.

The volume pot manages to be smooth and well matched, something I'm always worried about when it comes to portable amps. Initial impressions still hold. A punchy musical dynamic smooth sounding amp deceiving of its size. It has sonic qualities that are much more inductive to enjoyment making it near distraction to analyze/test it.

In anycase how can I give an indepth review without time...of course I do have that selfish habit of only dropping initial impressions and dissappearing just enjoying things to myself. I mean its not like I ever did an indepth review of the AKG240S
evil_smiley.gif

But yes, if after longer listening with the ER4S (which are actually easier to please IMO) I find that it somehow synergizes so poorly with the amp to audibly complain I will post about it, even though I'm pretty sure the amp was designed with ER4S in mind(Fixup does the ER4 cord mods after all)...and not really the AKG's that very few have. So anyhow, I will continue to listen to them as I am now, but will definitely make effort to listen to them with Ety's tonight. Other than that...what do you want me to do...shove Ety's in my ears right now for 10 minutes and come back and say it was "good" or "bad"? Wouldn't exactly be in-depth.

As far as nomenclature is concerned, although I do find Mini-MeTa to be a humorous name, it isn't fair or really realistic for this amp to ride off the hype/success of full-fledged Meta's. That is just common sense? But I think this amp can hold its own especially for its size. Having it hooked up to my CDP with a long headphone extension cord listening to the Gladiator soundtrack, I am still just so impressed with what it can do for the size. I never really liked 4P's + adapter route as too much "stuff" to deal with (4P + 4S adapter + amp) when I lean strongly towards the 4S sound so much anyways. This super Mini-whatever amp costs just about as much as the Etymotic 4P -> 4S adapters...and is so small it verges on being considered an adapter itself in size.

Sep 13, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #28 of 114
The LMH6643 used in these amps cannot take more than 12.8V, so never use higher than 9V to be safe. If you use a un-regulated ac adapter such as those from Radio Shack, a 9V one can actually output as high as 20V and will mostly kill the LMH6643!
The power caps in the super mini are 4V+4V, so don't try higher than 4.5V to be safe. Those in the mini are 10V+10V, so 9V is no problem at any condition.
Any way, unlike the old op-amps, the new LMH6643 and the AD823 really do not need a higher voltage to perform better even when driving a pair of HD-600/580.

Sep 13, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #30 of 114
I was listening to the Gladiator soundtrack because I know it just had a delicious amount of low bass and wanted to see how the amp handled it. It was sounding really good with my AKG's especially in regards to bass that I just HAD to swap to Ety's halfway through the soundtrack. Again my impressions hold the same for Ety's. And it is really a delicious combo, the dynamic punchy bass and just the overall musical nature of this amp. Yet still revealing enough to pinpoint individual movements and shuffling in the orchestra. Again it is a suprisingly dynamic amp for something its size running off 3AAA's. I'm now listening to Rush Moving Pictures, and again the sheer dynamics and bass are just something else. The crashing crisp sound of cymbals is really impressive as well in YYZ so I think this amp handles transients pretty well regardless of coming off as warm and smooth.

If you are an Ety lover you may know the pride of owning something that sounds so good in a package so deceptively small. I just may be getting that same sort of pride of ownership with this amp. I don't think I will expound too much further on the virtues of this amp. Again I'm not the good ol boy-scout honor badge audio reviewing type and never have been, hopefully someone else will pick up the slack in the weeks to come.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will finish up this album and check on all the phone calls I must have missed due to my Ety curse, and will postpone listening til late night. Aww crap now Appalachian Journey is spinning...must...stop...damn CD changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back