Pics of mini META
Sep 19, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #46 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Yes, it did arrive today. Thanks Fixup!

I've been listening to the SuperMini for only a couple of hours, using two PCDPs (Sony D-33, Panasonic 470) and a MD that I borrowed on Monday (Sharp 702), all through the Ety 4s. While these may not be the best sources, I think they may be fairly typical of what will be used with the SuperMini.

Listening to one CD only (the Daniel Carter Trio "Language) and one Mini-Disk that I copied from a cd I own (Richard Wagner's "Der Fliegende Hollander"), I found the SuperMini to be both dynamic and "punchy." I was surprised in a way to find it as balanced as I did. "Language" contains a lot of bowed acoustic bass that can become strident on some setups. However, the SuperMini handled it and then some.

Again, these impressions are based on only a couple of hours of listening, so they may change over time. However, I consider the SuperMini an impressive achievement. It's so small that it will be easy to carry around everywhere. Given additional burn-in, I expect the sound to improve even further.

Sounds promising, I have the same MD player & Etys as you do. I assume you hooked up the amp jack to the headphone out of the MD player since there is no line out. Personally I am not impressed with the sound direct from the headphone out to the Etys directly (Although I find the HD600 acceptable & obviously Grado SR80 better)

Do post some more impressions after you have done extended listening or after you have run it in longer & using different CDs, like Acoustic Jazz or rock.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #47 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
Sounds promising, I have the same MD player & Etys as you do. I assume you hooked up the amp jack to the headphone out of the MD player since there is no line out. Personally I am not impressed with the sound direct from the headphone out to the Etys directly (Although I find the HD600 acceptable & obviously Grado SR80 better)

Do post some more impressions after you have done extended listening or after you have run it in longer & using different CDs, like Acoustic Jazz or rock.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Yes, I hooked the amp to the headphone out jack on the Sharp. I've yet to listen to the headphone jack directly from the amp (I've used my JMT-built Meta with the Sharp), so I can't comment.

The Daniel Carter is acoustic jazz, btw, (and some great stuff, too). But I agree that I need to listen to more music on the SuperMini and let it burn in longer before I post additional comments.

Sep 19, 2002 at 10:30 AM Post #49 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
Good stuff!

So far how well does it compare with your JMT META?

I thought about comparing them, but after only a couple of hours I don't think it would be fair. I really love the JMT Meta, though. Awsome combination with the Etys. If anything, it's more refined than the SuperMini, but I would have expected that. However, the SuperMini is so light that I will carry it around with me all the time, so overall it may get more use.

Sep 19, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #50 of 114
FCJ: I'd echo N@z comments for a comparison between METAs once you have some more time in the Super-Mini. I'd bet a lot of folks (or maybe it's just me) are wondering if there are BIG differences between more mainstream METAs and the Fixup version.

Personally, this is what I'll be working towards... a full blown META non-battery powered version just for stationary use and the Super Mini for portable use. In fact, I've already ordered the SuperMini and am anxiously awaiting it's delivery! Will be taking a cross country flight next week and will have plenty of opportunity to give the SuperMini a workout (along with the Ety 4P+Fixup's "S" adapter)!

Bruce

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #51 of 114
Quote:

FCJ: I'd echo N@z comments for a comparison between METAs once you have some more time in the Super-Mini. I'd bet a lot of folks (or maybe it's just me) are wondering if there are BIG differences between more mainstream METAs and the Fixup version.

I'll do a more direct comparison over the next few days/week or so. I want to give the SuperMini more time to burn in, though, before I do an in-depth comparison.

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #52 of 114
Quote:

I want to give the SuperMini more time to burn in

I found these amps do need sometime to burn-in, especially the Supermin. After couple days of listening, its sound becomes more defined. The sound stage becomes more distanced. Right after I built my Supermini, I got a headache. It could be caused by the fresh amp, or just by less sleeping while developing the amp. Anyway, my headache was over the next day.

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #53 of 114
Guys,
This message was quoted from Fixup's website:

Quote:

[09/18/02] We have received the parts for the amps and have started shipping. All of you who ordered the amps and other products will be notified of shipping in the next few days. Sorry for the delay and thank you all.

[09/13/02] Wow, although I knew many people would love my super mini amp, but I did not expect so many! I'm running out parts but more parts are arriving in overnight FedEx. Sorry for the delay.

Now I've to wait....
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #54 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
Good stuff!

So far how well does it compare with your JMT META?

Well, I burned in the MiniMeta today some more and I did some more listening today. Specifically, I did some comparisons to my JMT-built META 42 (one 9v battery) also. Here goes:

First, I did my listening on both amps with my Ety 4s' and Panasonic 470 PCDP. With the META I used a Kimber mini-to-mini. Since the MiniMeta comes with a mini cable hard wired, I had to use that cable--something to keep in mind.

Second, here's what I listened to today:

1. Rolling Stones-Goat's Head Soup. In particular, I focused on "Winter." Amazing Mick Taylor solo. Very underrated song.

The JMT Meta wins here, but it was closer than I thought. The JMT's a bit more detailed and spacious. The Taylor solo on "Winter" had more impact and "beauty." Mick J's vocals also were a little bit cleaner. However, the soundstage (given the Etys limitations here) was a little bit more expansive on the MiniMeta.

2. Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed. This is the new SACD remix (although, obviously, I didn't play the SACD layer). Here I focused on "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

This is an amazing reissue. In fact, all the Stones SACD reissues are amazing.

Again, the JMT Meta had a bit more detail and seemed cleaner all the way around. However, the MiniMeta came close, but overall the JMT Meta had greater detail and air. After listening to this CD I began to feel that the MiniMeta was flatter, in a sense, in that it didn't tend to highlight any one part of the range. The JMT Meta, OTOH, has more sparkle and detail.

3. Ben Allison-Ride the Nuclear Tiger. Here I focused on "Swiss Cheese D." If you're not familar with this one, it's an acoustic jazz CD that is well recorded, made by a bassist who consistently puts out great stuff (all of his CDs are not to be missed).

Here I focused on Ben Allison's bass, to see how the lower end fared on each amp. Again, I found the JMT Meta to be a bit cleaner and detailed (Ben Allison's bass is highlighted throuought). Overall, the JMT was more open and focused, but the soundstage of the MiniMeta was impressive.

4. Frank Kimbrough-Noumena. Kimbrough plays piano and is on the Ben Allison cd above. This cd is on the Soul Note label from Italy and, unfortunately, is hard to find (Soul Note lost their last distribution deal in the US
frown.gif
). Here I did my main comparisons using the track called "The Spins."

This is somewhat of a bright-sounding CD, although the JMT Meta didn't push it into the "overaggressive" range. The MiniMeta, if anything, may be a bit "smoother," and it really handled this CD well. So well, in fact, that I listened to "The Spins" at least six times using it.

Again, remember that while the CD player and headphones that I used on with both amps was the same, the cables were not. I can't really give a percentage as to how much each contributed to what I heard, but I know they helped to cause some differences. Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, the JMT Meta would be my first choice, but the MiniMeta is close. While I found the sound to be a little bit less detailed and more "restricted," I think it compares extremely favorably. Given its small size and great sound, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, especially if you plan on carrying it around all the time. Either way, you can't lose.

As I listen to the Mini a bit more, I try to post additional details.

Hope this helps.

Sep 20, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #55 of 114
FCJ,

Just to clarify. Do you have the Mini or Super
Mini META? If it is the Mini is it the stock configuration or did you get the optional chip?

Thanks for the great review!

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #56 of 114
FCJ, thanks for following up with some great reviews with the Etys...I've been too busy/lazy just listening to it leisurely with my AKG240S which few people have to give anymore feedback. I believe he stated before he is using the Super-Mini.

It is easy to forget the size and battery efficiency of this thing. What it can squeeze out of 3 AAA's with long battery life is just truly impressive. Off some good Nimh's it will easily beat practically any portable source when it comes to time before needing a recharge. Both the voltage and current requirements of this thing really redefines energy efficiency at an amazingly little sacrifice to sound(IMO there are actually amps that can suck more energy as well as just plain suck more). Apparently it also works in 2 AAA mode but I haven't tested that yet. It is strange how much functionality is crammed into such small size...there really is no room to spare in this amp.

I think whatever sound quality it may lose in component/IC flexibility, it makes some back with its simple and short signal path. The amp itself is really just the size of 1 AAA...its mostly the other 3 AAA's that make the bulk of the size.

Sep 20, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #57 of 114
FCJ,
Quote:

Well, I burned in the MiniMeta today some more and I did some more listening today. Specifically, I did some comparisons to my JMT-built META 42 (one 9v battery) also

What op-amp is in your META42(JMT)? By the way, nice review. Thanks.

Purk

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #59 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by cdub
FCJ,

Just to clarify. Do you have the Mini or Super
Mini META? If it is the Mini is it the stock configuration or did you get the optional chip?

Thanks for the great review!

I have the super mini with the stock configuration. Sorry for the omission.

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
FCJ,

What op-amp is in your META42(JMT)? By the way, nice review. Thanks.

Purk

Er, I really don't know, to tell you the truth. I'll post a picture, and maybe you can tell. Or, I assume you can PM JMT and he can tell you. As you can see, technical I'm not.
frown.gif

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. This thing is really a small marvel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back