Pics of mini META
Oct 3, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #106 of 114
Got my mini-Meta on Monday (or was it Tuesday?) - I ordered it on Sept. 19th-ish. Build quality was acceptable, although it was hard to get 9v batteries to stay in place while on the go - I ended up sticking a wad of paper in there to get it to stay. I'm powering it with a Plainview 9.6v battery, btw.

It definitely drives the MX500's I'm using way louder than my CT470 could (when MX500's are on minimum amplification). Earbuds may not be the best to judge an amp by, because I didn't notice any day-and-night differences between amped/un-amped music (Soundgarden for now) AT EQUAL VOLUMES. I thought that the drums especially were more defined upon my very first listen, but that may have been just the increase in volume.

Oct 3, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #107 of 114
Yeh, while the Radio Shack AAA case used for the super mini looks marble, the AA case used for mini is just so so. My building quality cannot be better than the case already is
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #108 of 114
Can these two amps power headphones at 250 ohms for example the Beyer dt770 pro.

Oct 5, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #109 of 114
Maddog54,
Don't bother with 250 ohms, my super mini has no problem powering my 300 ohms Sennheiser HD-580 at insanely loud volume.

Purk

Oct 5, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #110 of 114
No problems either with the AKG K-501s. I was pretty surprised.

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #111 of 114
Thanks for the info. This amp will probably replace my Cha-47 mainly because of its low battery life (4hrs!). How long does your amp survive on 3 AAA's or one 9v?

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #112 of 114
maddog54,
I never actually time it, but I suspect that it last around 30-40 hours with my NI-MH rechargeable batter, that's good number.

Purk

Oct 10, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #114 of 114
My SuperMini has also just burned-in after 3 weeks. I'm also now burning in a Mini I received last week (Friday). The Mini seems to take much less time as that one is already settling down and opening up and it hasn't been a week yet. I'm thinking another week will do it for the Mini although it's quite listenable right now. I will be sending the SuperMini back for the upgrade, although it will probably need to be burned in again! Here it comes Xin, get ready to turn this baby over! The SuperMini is sounding very fine as I have been using it on my commute on the BART for the last few days; smooth and detailed with beautiful highs with just a very slight bit of edginess left to some closely miked female vocals. I was looking for an excuse to send the amp back for a longer output wire, but couldn't part with it because the sound was so compelling, (can't go back to my HeadRoom Supreme) -now I have the reason, if fixup says this upgrade will improve the quality of the sound, then I trust him as he has been right about the etymotic cord and amps I have bought from him!
Yes, he pays me big bucks on the side to write glowing reviews of his products.

Regards,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back