Pics galore: DT770 new edition
Dec 21, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #46 of 65
Whoa. So the new DT990 is Beyer's challenge to the K701? Things are heating up! Where the heck is the HD700?
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I asked him about the new Beyer line via e-mail and here's the answer:

"The new DT880 should be very similar to the old DT880.

The new DT990 will be completely different and will be the new
top-of-the-line.

Cheers

Jan"

Hmm very interesting in deed. I had been eyeing the DT880 for a while, or maybe even the DT770 now that I have the Ad2000, but I will be very interested in what the new DT990 sounds like

Dec 22, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #50 of 65
Thanks Patu! It'll be interesting to hear comments about the new 990 once they start to ship. The old 990 have been for sale for so long that the first comparisons will most likely be very uneven (i.e. 5+ year old beaten 990 vs 1 hour aged new 990).

Dec 22, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #51 of 65
I like the looking of new DT990's and I am interested in what they sounds like.
tongue.gif

But I wonder why they are still named DT990 if they are going to be a completely different cans.
confused.gif

Why do they change a name instead?Such as DT1000?
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Meh, now they look like headphones from the 70's.

-Ed

Audio waffle owners are not eligible to complain about looks.
k1000smile.gif

Seriously though, those DT990s got their share of the ugly stick. The cups bear an uncanny resemblance to ventilation grills or something. They'd better sound flipping awesome, lest no one will buy them.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Can you post a link (or just quote
smily_headphones1.gif
) please, I wasn't aware Jan has commented on the new line-up.

The Beyerdynamic website mentions some very vague 'improvements', which could be shrugged off as marketing nonsense:

DT770:

DT880:

DT990:

There is no real mention what models do these 'improve' upon. The original DT990s? Do they refer to the 20 or so years old version? Better safe than sorry I'd say.
wink.gif

These "improvements" are already present in the description of the "past" DT880/770/990. In the descriptions they changed only the photos. I doubt that the modifications are only cosmetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I asked him about the new Beyer line via e-mail and here's the answer:

"The new DT880 should be very similar to the old DT880.

The new DT990 will be completely different and will be the new
top-of-the-line.

Cheers

Jan"

These are very new and "good" news.

Anyway, I have to admit that those new DT770 looks very well.
wink.gif

Andrea

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
These "improvements" are already present in the description of the "past" DT880/770/990. In the descriptions they changed only the photos. I doubt that the modifications are only cosmetic.

Andrea

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My mistake.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Audio waffle owners are not eligible to complain about looks.
k1000smile.gif

Bwhaahahahahh!
biggrin.gif

Audio waffle, got to remember that one
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that the waffles are out of production, can we call the lucky ones audio waffle collectors?

BTW, I think Edwood's hamster is wearing R10 or woodied cans, not the waffles.

Back to topic.

I approached Beyerdynamic as a member of the press over a month ago about the re-issued DT770/880/990 range, but never heard from them.

I guess they are not too interested in marketing their improved headphone. Usually manufacturers at least send the standard press kit or marketing junk, but I've heard absolutely nothing from Beyer.

This lead me to believe that the changes were merely cosmetic.

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
...I approached Beyerdynamic as a member of the press over a month ago about the re-issued DT770/880/990 range, but never heard from them.

I guess they are not too interested in marketing their improved headphone. Usually manufacturers at least send the standard press kit or marketing junk, but I've heard absolutely nothing from Beyer.

This lead me to believe that the changes were merely cosmetic.

I have the same feeling.You can imagine that if they make a great improvement of original cans they should be willing to introduce them to everyone.But in this month I got very little information from Beyerdynamic about new version of headphones.

So I think the changes which were made on the new version are not very important.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #60 of 65
About the sound differences:

Quote:

Originally Posted by beyerdynamic
As the capsules as well as the dimensions inside has been hardly modified compared with the predecessors the sound remains the same or is even better.

More in thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...48&postcount=1

Hence, according to Beyer, it's a cosmetic upgrade. Not a major sound upgrade. Don't expect miracles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back