...Pico Slim vs RSA Protector!
Feb 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #106 of 204
Here we go again!!!

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #107 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing personal against him but he also thinks Darth(Barf) Beyers are the bee's knees. So I can pretty much disregard any impresses he has on audio gear.

Just for the record: I think Darth Beyers are fun, but they were only "the Bee's Knees" to me when I was new to headphone audio. I much prefer any of the other high-end cans I own over the Darth Beyers - T1, HE-5, D7000, DX1000 - all are much better sounding than the Darth Beyers. The only Darth Beyers I even still own are completely one-off versions using 600 ohm drivers that I came up with myself.

Just wanted to set the record straight on that. You are of course still welcome to discount everything I say, since it is of course just my opinion. But I don't want other people to do so based on reading what you said about my preferences, which are incorrect.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cable-debate slug-fest.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #108 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Years of hi-fi experience and research?
wink.gif

It's very simple: If you introduce a component that changes the frequency response of the signal, you are introducing distortion. .

This is just one possibility but not the only one. You are assuming that the signal is being changed as oppose to the true signal is being allowed to come through because of better component. It is very much like good components will frequently reveal flaws in the recordings, this is not distortion, this is a manifestation of the original signal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Years of hi-fi experience and research?
wink.gif

A good recent example has been the HD-800s, with a number of owners, myself included, feeling they need a touch more bass. Switching to a larger gauge aftermarket cable results in just this. Most notably, if you add an extension cable with the aftermarket wire instead of replacing the cable, you get the same result.

Let me make sure I understand your point here, are you saying and agreeing that a larger gauge cable does and will increase bass?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #109 of 204
As a casual consumer, I (and I'm sure others too) are completely confused about cables, about adaptors, connectors... For everyone who's chimed in, it's great that you're sharing your knowledge!

But I'm still confused. Given all the caveats about cables , etc, etc, etc... (which is absolutely relevant- I've learnt a lot!). What does this all mean? ...Pico Slim or RSA Protector?

jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #110 of 204
Go with the pico slim if you want a great sounding amp with the best volume control I've ever heard in a portable amp. The biggest drawback is that it's so small.

Go with the protector if you want to tell people you have a balanced amp but don't mind the kludgy connector, the ergonomics, and that you can't actually use a balanced source

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #111 of 204
8 Pages into the thread, but I don't think there's one person in this thread who has heard both amps.

I only had experience with the Protector driving my JH13s and I thought it sounded fantastic. I was most wowed by the Protector's soundstaging capability, its bigger images that it portraits through the JH13, and its deep, textured, and impactful bass (borderline too much for my taste).

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #112 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8 Pages into the thread, but I don't think there's one person in this thread who has heard both amps.

Not surprising, since neither has been released
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #114 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only had experience with the Protector driving my JH13s and I thought it sounded fantastic. I was most wowed by the Protector's soundstaging capability, its bigger images that it portraits through the JH13, and its deep, textured, and impactful bass (borderline too much for my taste).

Be careful now, this kind of talks can get you branded as a RSA fanboy very easily
smile.gif

Thanks so much for sharing your first hand expericence with the Protector.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #115 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not surprising, since neither has been released
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psh, who wants to let practicality get in the way of a good argument
tongue.gif

I know a number of people have already heard the Protector and likewise for the Pico Slim even though they aren't officially released yet.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful now, this kind of talks can get you branded as a RSA fanboy very easily
smile.gif

Thanks so much for sharing your first hand expericence with the Protector.

Even though I totally dislike the RSA HR2?
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #116 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn, will have to burn my degree in electronics in the future because they don't mean a single thing at all comparing to this.

beyersmile.png

tongue.gif
unfortunately, most audiophile things are complete rubbish and will have you throwing away your degree.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #117 of 204
So, if I am allowed to make a bunch of premises - the headphone amp puts out AC, right? The frequency and peak to peak characteristics of the AC signal control what the headphone is putting out.

Therefore, in an AC (time dependent) circuit with the headphone as a load, and the amp as an overly simplified source of AC ... the only significant thing that technically will modify (I'm not talking about decreasing the amplitude) the signal is stray (complex) capacitance. I'm not sure where conductor characteristics factor into this. If my super simple model is largely correct, I suggest altering your cable braid first!

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #118 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if I am allowed to make a bunch of premises - the headphone amp puts out AC, right? The frequency and peak to peak characteristics of the AC signal control what the headphone is putting out.

Therefore, in an AC (time dependent) circuit with the headphone as a load, and the amp as an overly simplified source of AC ... the only significant thing that technically will modify (I'm not talking about decreasing the amplitude) the signal is stray (complex) capacitance. I'm not sure where conductor characteristics factor into this. If my super simple model is largely correct, I suggest altering your cable braid first!

Yes.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #119 of 204
I'm in the queue for a Protector. I have three pairs of phones I'd like to use with the amp.

One thing I had not initially taken into account was the cost of some professional person or party reterminating three pairs of headphones, plus the cost to reverse retermination should I want to sell any / all of the phones.

The total price of ownership of a Protector increases by a not inconsiderable factor when these costs are taken into account. One quote I've received from a well-thought of Head-Fi vendor is $75 for reterminating an existing cable, plus shipping costs for the vendor and myself (in this case, a 1/4" Neutrix plug is removed and the Protector-required plug added for the $75 fee). If shipping is $5 each way, that makes it $85 for retermination. So, 3 X $85 = $255, for three sets of cans. Let's say it costs the same amount to reverse the retermination of the 3 sets of phones. That's a possible $510 investment in retermination and reverse termination.

The Protector early buy cost is $425, shipping unknown at this time. If I use the $255 amount for three sets of cans to be reterminated, that brings the cost to a minimum of $680. If I change my mind, then add the 2nd $255 and I'm up to $935.

Just something to consider. As an aside, it seems that two pairs of my headphones may have to undergo rewiring to be able to be run balanced, much less simply be reterminated. Gotta love this hobby!

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #120 of 204
Well, couldn't you have an adapter made (Protector plug to 2x 3-pin XLR or a 4-pin XLR) and have your cans re-terminated appropriately? Then at least you could sell them as regular balanced cans and not have to re-re-terminate if it comes to that. Seems like a better idea regardless, as you can then use the cans with other balanced amps too. Unless of course the bulk of an adapter is a non-starter for you... then yeah, you'd be screwed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back