Picking headphones (HFI-580 ATH-M50 AH-D1100)?
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
I've read your review several times over as well x]

That, and the previous thread I posted is really what got me interested in the D1100's. What I'm curious about though is the A900's are usually praised for their mids/highs/soundstage, not really bass, and he (previous thread I linked to) considered them better in all aspects.

I'm not really looking to EQ a lot though, and RPGWiZaRD says the D1100's bass decays quite quickly. That, and assuming the soundstage is better on the HFI-580 (due to their angled drivers) makes me go in the 580 direction anyway.

Ask anyone who has a pair of D1100's to go listen to a song that features a piano and tell you what they think about it. 

Point them to...say..."Of Dreams To Come" by Robert Glasper.

It's shocking how bad the bass affects the mids.  Nothing makes it as clear as a decent piano-focused song.  But they can be quite tolerable if you're willing to work for the sound.  lol

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
 Klipsch image ones>Hfi-580if you want to feel the music, go with the klipsch. If you want to be impressed by a sparkly high, go with the 580.site15 code got me 15% off the klipsch at soundearphones.com

Oh no and here I thought I was settled on a pair of DJ1's and now I see this.. lol

The Image Ones are nice for portable use if you have an iPhone but in even the briefest of A/B comparisons the DJ1's beat them in every category. Not really a serious competitor IMO.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #34 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
 Klipsch image ones>Hfi-580if you want to feel the music, go with the klipsch. If you want to be impressed by a sparkly high, go with the 580.site15 code got me 15% off the klipsch at soundearphones.com

Oh no and here I thought I was settled on a pair of DJ1's and now I see this.. lol

The Image Ones are nice for portable use if you have an iPhone but in even the briefest of A/B comparisons the DJ1's beat them in every category. Not really a serious competitor IMO.

Yea it was just an initial reaction but I went and read a bit more about them and you're right.  I think the only other options I want to take a look at are what Beyerdynamic has to offer since they seem to be very nice high end cans, but the pricing on most of them are a bit high for me.  I do see the DT440's in my budget, and their specs seem quite nice, but as an open back I'm not sure if it's going to really have me feeling the music like the DJ1 closed back should.  I have Senn HD555's now and that's why I want to move to a closed can, because although accurate sound and wide stage, there isn't any oomph.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #35 of 38
okay i just want the one that has the best highs best meds best low. bass. durable. warranty. work with iphone 4. 

P.S. i found the HFI - 780 for 164$ and the HFI 580s are 150.  Seems weird that the price is that close.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #36 of 38

Quote:
M50 is too overrated in Head-fi. It is a decent phone but I also believe it is not underpriced at $150. In fact if you can get creative aurvana live! at $70, that will be a better buy than this can.
I tested M50 and disagree that this phone are up there with higher end models; there is no soundstage (zero, none at all), even when playing music with foobar and channelmixer DSP plugin, i fail to see any increase in soundstage at all! I will only recommend this phone if you like music to be played in your head.
The mids are not very transparent and lacking details. The treble are grainy and not very detailed also. Overall not an analytical phone, correctly priced if below $150 and very overrated in head-fi.

I agree with you. Just returned my M50. Sound was too bland and not fun at all.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #37 of 38
i listen to a lot of Krall and havent noticed any issues , using a Aune MK2 se amp.

Quote:

Ask anyone who has a pair of D1100's to go listen to a song that features a piano and tell you what they think about it. 

Point them to...say..."Of Dreams To Come" by Robert Glasper.

It's shocking how bad the bass affects the mids.  Nothing makes it as clear as a decent piano-focused song.  But they can be quite tolerable if you're willing to work for the sound.  lol

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
I agree with you. Just returned my M50. Sound was too bland and not fun at all.

X2. Mine were returned a long time ago too, shortly after getting them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back