Picking headphones (HFI-580 ATH-M50 AH-D1100)?
Jan 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 38
M50 is too overrated in Head-fi. It is a decent phone but I also believe it is not underpriced at $150. In fact if you can get creative aurvana live! at $70, that will be a better buy than this can.
I tested M50 and disagree that this phone are up there with higher end models; there is no soundstage (zero, none at all), even when playing music with foobar and channelmixer DSP plugin, i fail to see any increase in soundstage at all! I will only recommend this phone if you like music to be played in your head.
The mids are not very transparent and lacking details. The treble are grainy and not very detailed also. Overall not an analytical phone, correctly priced if below $150 and very overrated in head-fi.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #19 of 38

Quote:
M50 is too overrated in Head-fi. It is a decent phone but I also believe it is not underpriced at $150. In fact if you can get creative aurvana live! at $70, that will be a better buy than this can.
I tested M50 and disagree that this phone are up there with higher end models; there is no soundstage (zero, none at all), even when playing music with foobar and channelmixer DSP plugin, i fail to see any increase in soundstage at all! I will only recommend this phone if you like music to be played in your head.
The mids are not very transparent and lacking details. The treble are grainy and not very detailed also. Overall not an analytical phone, correctly priced if below $150 and very overrated in head-fi.

I agree with you. I found the M50 quite a disappointment too. Dull, narrow soundstage, not that great of extension on either end. I'm curious about the Denon AH-D1100....

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 38

Quote:
Taking a guess, I would say the HFI-580. From what I have read around here, the M50 came in 2 versions, with the most current model being bass "light"

Audio-Technica is releasing a few new models here in the U.S. that I think might be bass heavy. The ATH-PRO700MK2 and the ATH-WS70 and ATH-WS50

Nobody that has done an A/B comparison that suggests that, people who have compared the production batches say there is almost no difference at all, and only a very small number of people can tell the difference, even in extensive AB comparisons.

People just keep misunderstanding the Headfonia article.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 38
Well I don't have them nor have I read this "article" that you mention. I was only going off the few threads I read here.

So if that's the case, I guess the M50 are the best :cool:

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you. I found the M50 quite a disappointment too. Dull, narrow soundstage, not that great of extension on either end. I'm curious about the Denon AH-D1100....

leave the D1100 alone, man. you'll want to stab your ears out if you care about mids or highs at all.  (unless you're willing to do massive EQ work)

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

leave the D1100 alone, man. you'll want to stab your ears out if you care about mids or highs at all.  (unless you're willing to do massive EQ work)

I completely trust your opinion on the D1100's, and it infact guided me to decide on the HFI-580's for my uses (the bass is reportedly perfect, I'm just unsure of soundstage).

Though I am curious, I remember reading this thread, and the user that started it was very ecstatic of the quality of the D1100's, comparing them to both ATH-A900 and ATH-WS70, claiming they surpass both.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I completely trust your opinion on the D1100's, and it infact guided me to decide on the HFI-580's for my uses (the bass is reportedly perfect, I'm just unsure of soundstage).

Though I am curious, I remember reading this thread, and the user that started it was very ecstatic of the quality of the D1100's, comparing them to both ATH-A900 and ATH-WS70, claiming they surpass both.

it's possible they could be better than those...I have never heard the ATH-A900s or the ATH-WS70S.  I wrote a commentary on them in one of my review threads.  To summarize: the D1100's will do fine IF you're willing to massively EQ them. If you don't, they sound horrid.  Overwhelming, ridiculous amounts of bass overwhelm the mids and the highs are mediocre.  If you do EQ them, they could sound pretty nice.  Better than some of the more commercialized cans in the price range, IMO (ie, Beats, V-Moda Crossfade, Bose stuff).  But there are other cans that require no such maintenance. 

here's that "review": http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519597/denon-d5000-vs-d2000-vs-d1100-vs-bose-on-ear-a-humble-review-enclosed

If I were to re-score them, I'd score the low's a little lower because now I know what "tight bass" sounds like...but to this day, I'd say that all pretty accurately reflects my thoughts.  I'd probably reduce the mid score of all of all of those Denons by .5 points now that I've heard what a more forward-presented mid sounds like. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 38
I've read your review several times over as well x]

That, and the previous thread I posted is really what got me interested in the D1100's. What I'm curious about though is the A900's are usually praised for their mids/highs/soundstage, not really bass, and he (previous thread I linked to) considered them better in all aspects.

I'm not really looking to EQ a lot though, and RPGWiZaRD says the D1100's bass decays quite quickly. That, and assuming the soundstage is better on the HFI-580 (due to their angled drivers) makes me go in the 580 direction anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back