Picking an IEM under $200
Aug 18, 2016 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

t-crisis

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am looking to purchase my first decent pair of IEMs to use on the go. The setup I am going to be using them with is an iPhone 6 paired with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black v1.5 via Apple CCK. I'm not sure I can say what my sound preference is because I have only owned a couple pair of Grados (SR60, SR225, and Magnum-woodies) and a pair of modded T50RPs. I like the Grados I have because they are excellent for rock music, which is what I listen to most often, but occasionally I find them to be a bit too bright. And the T50RPs they're just so slightly muddy but I love the warmth, I don't find them fatiguing, and they're good for just about everything else that isn't rock. That's about all I know. 
I'll probably be listening to all genres of music with the IEMs I get, but I don't mind trying something with a sound signature that's different from what I'm familiar with... as long as it isn't super bass heavy. I think it would be good for me to experience something new. Anyway, if anyone knows good pairings with the Dragonfly DAC, that's a plus. I've only read one review of someone who paired the Echobox Finder X1 with it, and thought the two worked together quite well. But here are the candidates I've come up with so far, and I'm open to add to the list:

VSonic GR07 
Dunu Titan 1
Dunu DN-1000
RHA MA750
HiFiMan RE400
Etymotic ER-P4
Yamaha EPH-100
VModa Zn
Sony XBA H1
UE TF10
Shure SE215
Echobox Finder X1
Klipsch X7i
Fostex TE-05

Those are somewhat in order, by the way, of good things I've heard about them, having heard the most about the GR07s. Under $200. Your suggestion for the best IEM? Any input/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

T

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Maybe the Mee Audio Pinacle P1 might be a good choice also, Are getting glorious review.  Also The vivo Xe800 uses the same driver as the vsonic GR07's and are very nice price(although there are fakes around)

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 12
Dunu dn 1000 is the best

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I love my X-1's. I would say they are more towards the Grado sound than the planar. With the red tunning tips they can be a bit bright the other tips are much better at that but still bright but not too much for me YMMV. I have not heard them thru a Dragonfly but out of my phone and QP1R they do just fine. Better on the Queststlye but that is to be expected. As for build quality they are titanium not even tanks are made of that.

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 12
For my pennies worth... personally would take the Klipsch x7i's off the list. They have a flaw re the jack from experience, The RHA'S are a great iem re build and have a very full and engaging Sq. They have a 3 year warranty which is a great plus. Maybe have a look at the Trinity Audio range. An absolute gem of a company that gets lots of praise on Head-Fi. Use the search bar for more info. Best of luck.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 12
What's your budget?

The Titan 1s - Great value, they've been rebranded remember though and are also called Fiio EX 1 and are half the price for exact same IEM. Great soundstage, decent detail. Can be quite aggressive up top so you might not like them.

GR07 - If you don't like bright sound stay away from these, quite piercing highs

Yamaha EPH100 - Another great value, but if you don't want too much bass these might not be for you. The bass is deep but with fantastic resolution, but still bassy signature.

HiFiMan RE-400 - overrated, poor quality plastic which will split eventually on you. Warm sig, but very little bass, boring.

Of the ones mentioned above

RHA M750 - might be a good shout. Warm signature, although can be bit bass heavy on some songs. bass is quite big but not obtrusive. Big sounding, huge deep soundstage. Decent mid for detail but slightly veiled at times.

Dunu Dn 1000 - this is my favourite IEM. BUT for you it could be a bit bright. It has some slight warmth. It is a great alrounder with tremendous value and takes on much more expensive pairs. Huge soundstage, lots of detail. Has some sibilance though.

MEE Pinnacle 1 - Very warm siganute, but still with tons of detail. huge soundstage. Very thick rich sounding mids. The difficulty recommending it though is it can be hit or miss. the housing is huge and can be hard to get good fit. It is quite expensive though and you'd either love it or hate it. Nothing I've listened to sounds like it.

Trinity Audio range - perhaps the Deltas. Lots of filters, warm involving musical signature. bass can be tailored with filters.

My recommendation

Possibly Dunu DN 2000 - More balanced than V shaped dunu 1000. Warm sounding, rich mids with lots of detail all over. Bass not as deep as the dunu 1000 but it has better resolution and texture.

RHA T20 - RHA flagship. More balanced than the m750. Big sounding due to large soundstage, warm. Great detail mids and highs. Three filters to play with.

Trinity Audio Deltas

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 12
  What's your budget?

The Titan 1s - Great value, they've been rebranded remember though and are also called Fiio EX 1 and are half the price for exact same IEM. Great soundstage, decent detail. Can be quite aggressive up top so you might not like them.

GR07 - If you don't like bright sound stay away from these, quite piercing highs

Yamaha EPH100 - Another great value, but if you don't want too much bass these might not be for you. The bass is deep but with fantastic resolution, but still bassy signature.

HiFiMan RE-400 - overrated, poor quality plastic which will split eventually on you. Warm sig, but very little bass, boring.

Of the ones mentioned above

RHA M750 - might be a good shout. Warm signature, although can be bit bass heavy on some songs. bass is quite big but not obtrusive. Big sounding, huge deep soundstage. Decent mid for detail but slightly veiled at times.

Dunu Dn 1000 - this is my favourite IEM. BUT for you it could be a bit bright. It has some slight warmth. It is a great alrounder with tremendous value and takes on much more expensive pairs. Huge soundstage, lots of detail. Has some sibilance though.

MEE Pinnacle 1 - Very warm siganute, but still with tons of detail. huge soundstage. Very thick rich sounding mids. The difficulty recommending it though is it can be hit or miss. the housing is huge and can be hard to get good fit. It is quite expensive though and you'd either love it or hate it. Nothing I've listened to sounds like it.

Trinity Audio range - perhaps the Deltas. Lots of filters, warm involving musical signature. bass can be tailored with filters.

My recommendation

Possibly Dunu DN 2000 - More balanced than V shaped dunu 1000. Warm sounding, rich mids with lots of detail all over. Bass not as deep as the dunu 1000 but it has better resolution and texture.

RHA T20 - RHA flagship. More balanced than the m750. Big sounding due to large soundstage, warm. Great detail mids and highs. Three filters to play with.

Trinity Audio Deltas

What's a siganute? 
wink_face.gif

This was a great help. Thank you! I am pretty convinced on the DN-1000, especially after reading this and Earfonia's review on the Dunus. I have found several reviews of people saying it was the best IEM they'd ever owned. As for the brightness, I'll let you know what I think of it! I'll be ordering them soon. How long do they take to break in, in your opinion? 

And does anyone know where to find the JVC EP-FX8 ear tips? I've heard that those are a must with the DN-1000s.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 12
  Hey all,

I am looking to purchase my first decent pair of IEMs to use on the go. The setup I am going to be using them with is an iPhone 6 paired with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black v1.5 via Apple CCK. I'm not sure I can say what my sound preference is because I have only owned a couple pair of Grados (SR60, SR225, and Magnum-woodies) and a pair of modded T50RPs. I like the Grados I have because they are excellent for rock music, which is what I listen to most often, but occasionally I find them to be a bit too bright. And the T50RPs they're just so slightly muddy but I love the warmth, I don't find them fatiguing, and they're good for just about everything else that isn't rock. That's about all I know. 
I'll probably be listening to all genres of music with the IEMs I get, but I don't mind trying something with a sound signature that's different from what I'm familiar with... as long as it isn't super bass heavy. I think it would be good for me to experience something new. Anyway, if anyone knows good pairings with the Dragonfly DAC, that's a plus. I've only read one review of someone who paired the Echobox Finder X1 with it, and thought the two worked together quite well. But here are the candidates I've come up with so far, and I'm open to add to the list:

VSonic GR07 
Dunu Titan 1
Dunu DN-1000
RHA MA750
HiFiMan RE400
Etymotic ER-P4
Yamaha EPH-100
VModa Zn
Sony XBA H1
UE TF10
Shure SE215
Echobox Finder X1
Klipsch X7i
Fostex TE-05

Those are somewhat in order, by the way, of good things I've heard about them, having heard the most about the GR07s. Under $200. Your suggestion for the best IEM? Any input/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

T

Forget about the Shure SE215, they need an update. Audio Technica makes IEMs that while less ergonomic sound better at the same price. The ATH-IM70 does a similar sound signature but overall better. The best I would recommend to replace the Shure in the list is the ATH-E40. The push-pull dynamic drivers have clarity comparable to some BAs. I am a UE fan so definitely will push up the UE TF10 a lot higher up the list. Do take note whatever IEM you eventually get make sure you get a good seal. Often people complain of too much/little of something without realising that their IEMs were not fit properly. Especially those with BAs are extremely dependent on proper fitting to get a proper amount of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back