Pi 2 Design - Mercury Streamer
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #61 of 76
just the AC 12V supply that came with it. Would a low noise, linear DC supply be that great of a diff.?

Will try with a 12VDC battery and if greatly improved, got a Kevin Gilmore's Golden Reference power supply that I can built a box around to use.

Mar 22, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #62 of 76
just the AC 12V supply that came with it. Would a low noise, linear DC supply be that great of a diff.?

Will try with a 12VDC battery and if greatly improved, got a Kevin Gilmore's Golden Reference power supply that I can built a box around to use.
Mercury does respond well to better power supply like LPS.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #63 of 76

Almost everything sounds better with a linear supply IME.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #65 of 76
Fiio pl50 is probably the most reasonably priced
Shame it doesn't offer a 5V option. Can't argue with that pricing though!

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #67 of 76
Got a Jung regulator sitting around that I can use for the Mercury. But it only outputs 5-9VDC. Should be ok right? The Mercury regulates down to 5VDC, anything over ~6V should work (1V for regulation drop)? Measured the Jung regulator on my oscilloscope with 2mV resolution, can't even see any noise at that level.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #68 of 76
Got a Jung regulator sitting around that I can use for the Mercury. But it only outputs 5-9VDC. Should be ok right? The Mercury regulates down to 5VDC, anything over ~6V should work (1V for regulation drop)? Measured the Jung regulator on my oscilloscope with 2mV resolution, can't even see any noise at that level.
Doesn't Mercury need like 12v?

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #70 of 76
Bit quiet in this thread so thought I'd add to it. The Mercury V2 is an incredible streamer. Sound quality is on par with the Pi2AES (which still reigns in value) however the addition of internal storage is extremely valuable to my use case. Another nice bonus is reduced power consumption. Setup is a little bit of a hassle when adding an M.2 drive as there isn't a definitive guide out there for the process that I've found. I may whip up some steps of what worked for me and share it here for others who may come across it. I have been curious about a modestly priced LPS for it though. Likely not needed but, may be worthwhile to experiment. What're you all using?

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #71 of 76
Bit quiet in this thread so thought I'd add to it. The Mercury V2 is an incredible streamer. Sound quality is on par with the Pi2AES (which still reigns in value) however the addition of internal storage is extremely valuable to my use case. Another nice bonus is reduced power consumption. Setup is a little bit of a hassle when adding an M.2 drive as there isn't a definitive guide out there for the process that I've found. I may whip up some steps of what worked for me and share it here for others who may come across it. I have been curious about a modestly priced LPS for it though. Likely not needed but, may be worthwhile to experiment. What're you all using?
I don’t have Mercury now but Sbooster is one of the best power supply for it.
I had nice experience with Mercury powered by Sbooster

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #72 of 76
Sep 24, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #73 of 76
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll likely go the PL50 route I can't quite justify $400 for a PSU... mentally lol. Seems the PL50 may be discontinued though.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #75 of 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back