Pi 2 Design - Mercury Streamer
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Powermankw

500+ Head-Fier
I have been waiting for mine for a couple months. They should be shipping over the next couple weeks, hopefully I will have mine in a week or two. I need a network streamer and wanted I2S to go to my DAC. I could have got a P12AES but decided to wait for this. I can mount a SSD internally and have been reading up on that. My question is why would that be better than playing off my laptop drive? Just generally. I use Roon to stream. My laptop has latency issues using USB I have not resolved. Roon has no issues with files on my laptop thru roon going to a borrowed Bluesound node.... So network. Just curious how a SSD on the Mercury is going to benefit me.

Other than that, I can't wait. It is the last piece of my puzzle, and I will be reporting on how it is working. If there are any beta testers here, PLEASE SHARE!!! That would be great. Anyway, more to follow.

https://www.pi2design.com/mercury-streamer.html

And Golden Sound did some measurements
https://goldensound.audio/2022/06/03/pi2design-mercury-streamer-server-measurements/

Jun 6, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 76
My question is why would that be better than playing off my laptop drive?
Some laptops are very noisy internally and introduce that noise via the ports. I've experienced it via usb out--the sound just wasn't as clean as using a streamer in my case.

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 76
Some laptops are very noisy internally and introduce that noise via the ports. I've experienced it via usb out--the sound just wasn't as clean as using a streamer in my case.
Definitely. I have no disire to buy more boxes to fix USB. With roon, I can use any network drive to stream over network. And my laptop is wired although I can use wifi as well. I was just curious if using a mounted drive in the mercury would be better that laptop over network.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 76
I am waiting for mine to be delivered hopefully soon... can't wait for the device to arrive
The main interface I would use would be AES and I2S ... where my RPi based HAT only has Coax & I2S so hopefully it is an upgrade on sound quality as well :)

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 76
I'm curious about CPU temperature. If you may kindly check through command line once you receive.

I have heard it will be shipped with a heatsink attached so hopefully, it's not too high ...

Bought in early April but I am still waiting for the shipping notification :frowning2:

I got my shipping notice... Woo Hoo!

when did you order yours and did you get it yet?

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 76
I ordered the day they went on sale. Like April 2nd. It did arrive, I was gone all weekend. I got it plugged in. My DAC uses PS Audio for I2S so I plugged it in, started roon, listened to music. Pretty simple.

They do ship with heatsinks... That is part of the delays because mounting screws did not match. I need to get a SSD to mount to see how that works out. So far I'm pretty happy. I need a bit more time to do some A/B. I don't actually expect any big improvement from the Mercury. It is just a streamer and should disappear. Just curious if I2S helps me out, and how my DAC sounds with seperate dedicated chain.

Jun 13, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 76
Thanks for the info :) ordered on 7th...

So hopefully this week :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 76
So...I'm really a noob. Didn't even know I using airplay. finally figured out I need Roon Bridge to use wired. I'm finally running I2S to my Pontus with a clean chain. I got a SSD today to mount. I managed to figure out how to partition, format, and mount my drive, but Volumio isn't seeing it. Or there is nothing to see because I can't figure out how to copy files over. I'll keep working at it...

So far a I dig it. It seems to be very clean. Great product. I am using Roon and the Volumio that came with it. Now that I have been playing around in SSH, I will have to try the other music platforms to see if I like another better. Although so far, I have no problem with Volumio... seems nice.

And for those still waiting... I assume the number written on my output board was the serial number... it was a single digit. Here's a money shot...

970evo3.jpg

Jun 15, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 76
So...I'm really a noob. Didn't even know I using airplay. finally figured out I need Roon Bridge to use wired. I'm finally running I2S to my Pontus with a clean chain. I got a SSD today to mount. I managed to figure out how to partition, format, and mount my drive, but Volumio isn't seeing it. Or there is nothing to see because I can't figure out how to copy files over. I'll keep working at it...

So far a I dig it. It seems to be very clean. Great product. I am using Roon and the Volumio that came with it. Now that I have been playing around in SSH, I will have to try the other music platforms to see if I like another better. Although so far, I have no problem with Volumio... seems nice.

And for those still waiting... I assume the number written on my output board was the serial number... it was a single digit. Here's a money shot...

970evo3.jpg
WOW, awesome thanks for the nice clean photo of the unit!!! man, I want it now!!!!! lol Current rate is 20 a week so will have to wait and see i guess....

I used to use Volumio with paid subscription as my main streaming solution but now I use Roon and as such, I use Ropiee/XL instead. It is much simpler to use than Volumio, in another word, not as fun to use ie. don't think it supports local storage for example. But the main reason for getting Ropieee over Volumio was, that it seemed to sound a tad bit better than Volumio, plus support for the OSMC remote. Now I can control my music using a RF-based OSMC remote :) Being RF based, you do not need line of sight like IR remote.

If I didn't have Roon, Volumio would have been my choice, you can use Bluetooth remote with Volumio to control your music played through MPD, just can't control Roon music if you are using Roon plug-in or any other online service, eg. Tidal & Qobuz.

Kelly who is the man behind pi2design is very active on SBAF so you could ask him or read the below thread on there...

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iot-proof-ready-to-go-rpi-aes-streamer.10471/

BTW did you see how hot the device got? For Volumio, it has a plug-in called System Info which will give you the temperature of the unit.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 76
WOW, awesome thanks for the nice clean photo of the unit!!! man, I want it now!!!!! lol Current rate is 20 a week so will have to wait and see i guess....

I used to use Volumio with paid subscription as my main streaming solution but now I use Roon and as such, I use Ropiee/XL instead. It is much simpler to use than Volumio, in another word, not as fun to use ie. don't think it supports local storage for example. But the main reason for getting Ropieee over Volumio was, that it seemed to sound a tad bit better than Volumio, plus support for the OSMC remote. Now I can control my music using a RF-based OSMC remote :) Being RF based, you do not need line of sight like IR remote.

If I didn't have Roon, Volumio would have been my choice, you can use Bluetooth remote with Volumio to control your music played through MPD, just can't control Roon music if you are using Roon plug-in or any other online service, eg. Tidal & Qobuz.

Kelly who is the man behind pi2design is very active on SBAF so you could ask him or read the below thread on there...

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iot-proof-ready-to-go-rpi-aes-streamer.10471/

BTW did you see how hot the device got? For Volumio, it has a plug-in called System Info which will give you the temperature of the unit.
Thank you! I have been reading that thread. I tried to register but can't get any confirmation, and can't contact any staff. None of their contact info works/nondeliverable. Pretty silly.

I'll get a temp for you. Where do I need to find it?

I will try out other platforms eventually. Roon works for me but some things I don't like, and I'm not using multi room and a lot of its power. At this point the parametric EQ is biggest plus.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 76
Sorry don't have Volumio but from my memory, think, within the settings menu there should be Plugins menu. And System Info should be under System group.. once installed you can just run the system info and it should display temperature... :)

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 76
Sorry don't have Volumio but from my memory, think, within the settings menu there should be Plugins menu. And System Info should be under System group.. once installed you can just run the system info and it should display temperature... :)
57c

There is a command in SSH. Now if I can only figure out how to make a stupid folder to share in Samba that would be awesome. :)

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 76
57c

There is a command in SSH. Now if I can only figure out how to make a stupid folder to share in Samba that would be awesome. :)
Oh nice and cool :)

thanks for the info...

sorry not much of a Linux person so can't really help you :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back