Pi 2 Design - Mercury Streamer
Jun 16, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 76
Finally it has been shipped 😀
Hopefully UPS delivers quick enough but being Australia I would imagine couple of weeks for delivery.. nearly there :)

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 76
So I put a 970 drive in... I've followed several procedures, I've managed to mount, read write, test it, a couple times... I can't get my windows machine to see it. I finally got volumio to see it but it says 40gb instead of 800. I can't even get windows to see the shares already set up on the SD card to use the left over space. I've ran out of friends and articles. If anyone can help me I would very much appriciate it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 76
Sorry never even got SD card storage working with Volumio so you are far beyond where I was :frowning2:

Anyway finally got my Mercury streamer :) asked for Ropiee but got Volumio instead... so having fun which audio HAT to use... but hopefully will figure it out soon :)

20220620_114704_1.jpg

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #20 of 76
Btw what output are you currently using?

I am only able to use Coax RCA and BNC at the moment.

I2S no sound at all and for AES I can only get output rate of 48 kHz... :frowning2:

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #21 of 76
So I plugged into I2S without a problem. The Pontus is also set as PS Audio default. I can't remember exactly... I thought it wasn't working, I used optical to see if it was outputting. Then I2S worked. I don't think I had to do anything. I have RCA as well for some AB. You are not supposed to have two digital outputs at same time I think.

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 76
So I plugged into I2S without a problem. The Pontus is also set as PS Audio default. I can't remember exactly... I thought it wasn't working, I used optical to see if it was outputting. Then I2S worked. I don't think I had to do anything. I have RCA as well for some AB. You are not supposed to have two digital outputs at same time I think.
Oh thanks for the information. yeah have set my topping D70s but looks like no sound is coming out.. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 76
So... I mounted my SSD but have not been able to get a samba share setup. At this point I think it is more about permissions than the mercury or vumio. Good thing I gave Filezilla a try because I was litterally transferring my music over in a couple minutes. Simple as pi. :)

The rewards are great. While streaming is convenient, and I don't foresee me having a huge hi-res library... Ummm... I need a lot more hi-res content. It is just clearly, significantly better straight from the Mercury SSD. I got it going, transfered some files, listened, bought more... And pried my Utopias off my head at 1:00 because my alarm is set for 6. I just couldn't stop listening. Just incredible. For clarity and resolution, it's almost as big as getting my tube amp.

I get tidal and qobuz for half price so have both. I have yet to tell a difference, tidal has more. I can try runni g them native in volumio. It already has a good EQ plug in if I want. I might be able to ditch roon, who knows. So far, the mercury is everything I hoped.

I have learned the chipset is limited to 24/192. That's fine since hardly anything is available above. I did play a DSD recording but it did not show as DSD on Pontus. I'll track that down. And.... A couple have reported that AES only plays to 48hz, and Michael has tracked it down to bad part. Of course he is fixing and if anyone else has issues he wants to hear about it.

Bottom line is network to I2S is so much better than a whole other USB chain... Which is why I bought it. And the fact you can mount a PCI drive with a few TB and play hi-res direct to DAC has proven an even bigger advantage than I thought. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #24 of 76
Hi @xtiva

As I see ,you live in Australia . I heard , some Mercury units were delivered with a defective AES and I2S chip ? A little bit freightened here , as I am waiting for my shipment to Europe , and you know its a real p.i.a here with customs und a p.i.a. to have it to send back to US for repair before listening to it. .....

Jul 11, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #25 of 76
Hi @xtiva

As I see ,you live in Australia . I heard , some Mercury units were delivered with a defective AES and I2S chip ? A little bit freightened here , as I am waiting for my shipment to Europe , and you know its a real p.i.a here with customs und a p.i.a. to have it to send back to US for repair before listening to it. .....
Hey yeah, I have had to return my unit.. it is on route to US :frowning2: been 2 weeks .. :frowning2:

Believe shipment has stopped since issue was discovered and only restarted last week after fix was applied to all the units. If yours were shipped in the last few days, I believe all should be good :)

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 76
Guys where did you buy this streamer as it shows out of stock for me and I'm based in Europe ? I was thinking to get bluesound node 2i for my semi portable setup, but if it would sound better... I'll be using optical to qutest, but I find very little info about Mercury

With regards Samba on linux, if it's properly in place you would get access denied prompt through windows if permissions are not properly set up.
It seems pretty straightforward process:
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/samba-file-sharing

Jul 11, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #28 of 76
It shows as sold out for me :frowning2: not sure if my patience will last long till new version will be released
I’ll watch this thread if anyone will have a chance to compare against other popular budget streamers. My main preference would be streamer without a DAC though

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #29 of 76
Guys where did you buy this streamer as it shows out of stock for me and I'm based in Europe ? I was thinking to get bluesound node 2i for my semi portable setup, but if it would sound better... I'll be using optical to qutest, but I find very little info about Mercury

With regards Samba on linux, if it's properly in place you would get access denied prompt through windows if permissions are not properly set up.
It seems pretty straightforward process:
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/samba-file-sharing

Yeah believe initial stock of 200 is sold out and you will need to wait.. I ordered it in April and only got it a couple of weeks ago...

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 76
It shows as sold out for me :frowning2: not sure if my patience will last long till new version will be released
I’ll watch this thread if anyone will have a chance to compare against other popular budget streamers. My main preference would be streamer without a DAC though
You need a lot of patience for Pi2AES products... I waited nearly 3 months to get that delivered.. :frowning2:

Now with the fault, I have had to return mine but once I get that back will try to compare that with my Sonnet Hermes, another streamer without DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back