Photos of office setup
Jun 26, 2001 at 9:49 AM Post #31 of 46
Forgot to say

mbriant~~

nice stuff ! love the portable collection there. Hopefully I will have some extra funds next year so I can pick up a MG Head.

Tides
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #32 of 46
MAP: I'll try to do a D-303 and D-777 comparison soon. I think NEO would be interested as well but I haven't seen him here yet.

Audio Redneck: This is actually my home office set up. I work from home a lot. At my real office I have a small Quad / Castle system and usually take my Grados and PJB. It's a private office so I don't worry about leakage. I'd recommend the Sony V-6/ 7506 as good sounding closed phones for the office. They're black and not overly big so they don't look too odd.

Deuce_Bigalow: No, usually, most of the portables are kept in a hard camera case. I normally have 2 or 3 out at any one time. I have others as well which didn't get into the photo. If I know I'll be stationary ( like in a plane ) I prefer to use the Sony 7506's for portable use. If I'm moving around I use the Koss Porta Pros. I have a small soft camera bag in which I carry a portable, the Grado amp, and both pairs of phones.

Tides: Now that I'm separated, I don't have to lowball my equipment costs. But I remember what it's like.
smily_headphones1.gif
The MG Head is a good choice.

Jun 26, 2001 at 10:43 PM Post #33 of 46
Mbriant - You do know that stacking all your equipment like that is doing any of your equipment any justice! all the vibrations and RFI/ the other electical stuff that generated from your components just get transfer to the other one and it has a detrimental effect on the sound.

and why have you got 2 identical Sony MD walkman?

and I have the same CD player too! (the KI signature) and nice collection!

Jun 26, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 46
raymondlin: Thanks for your concern but I've not noticed anything sounding not good because of the stacked equipment.

Most of it isn't on at the same time anyway and there aren't any vibrations as I use it primarily for headphone listening and when I do use the speakers, the volume isn't high. I make sure to keep the cables from crossing each other at the back however.

As far as the duplicate MD recorders, I also have two Grado 325's, and two Sony D-303 portable CD players. I jammed most of the portables into the photo, but usually I split them between home and work. Also when I find a particular piece I really dig, like the Sony MZ-R50, D-303, and Grado 325's, I like to have a back-up as I know they'll be impossible to replace in the future.

Hey, what can I say, I'm weird that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 46
Yeah, i think everyone i've ever talked to has reccomended against stacking components on top of each other. Especially on top of amplifiers (they need to breath i suppose). I've become so used to this that seeing all your wonderful equipment stacked like that made me cringe at first.. until i started drooling.

hey, if you want to get rid of a pair of those 325s i'll take them off your hands for a decent price (in three weeks at the minimum! i'm strapped for cash)

Actually, only if it's a great price. i'm supposed to be saving up for a headmaster. (anyone have a good price on one of them?)

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 46
Well, maybe in a perfect audiophile world, one could carefully position each piece of equipment several feet apart, resting on $200 graphite cones, on top of a 12" solid concrete slab .

But I'm tight for space.

Again, it's not like all this stuff is turned on at the same time. I have raised the tuner which sits on top of a Luxman amp, so that there's a full 2" gap for air circulation between it and the amp which is the only thing that really gets hot. Also, I have a small external fan at the back of everything to circulate air.

It's funny that most of the hundreds of thousands of audio cabinets in existance, whether they be a cheap particleboard consumer model, or an audiophile approved $1000 model, or an expensive 6 ft. professional metal rack like shown in an earlier post in this thread..... basically stack components on top of each other.

I'm not concerned about weight with this particular stack of equipment because the cheap JVC receiver at the bottom is taking most of it, and I wouldn't loose sleep if it were crushed. The Luxman is built like a tank, and the weight on it is minimal. I like to think of the equipment on top of it as taking the place of the audiophile bricks they sell to sit on the top of equipment.

I imagine that some extranious interference could be being produced, but I can't hear it if it is. The Luxman, MG Head, and Headmaster are all dead quiet at any volume level.

And thanks for the offer, but I'm hanging onto both pairs of Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #37 of 46
My main concern when I position my equipment is EMI (but then again, both of my rigs consist of pretty much only a CD player plus an amp and then the headphones). Power supplies on most equipment emit all sorts of nasties. I use an AlphaLab TriField Broadband Meter to help me determine the necessary distance to get my components not only out of the fields of each other, but also out of the fields of nearby non-audio equipment (battery chargers, computer power supplies, halogen lamps, monitors, etc.).

Jun 27, 2001 at 11:09 AM Post #38 of 46
If the power supply in box "A" has a such nasty effect on say box "B", "C", and "D" which are in close proximity to it.....wouldn't it cause absolute carnage to itself even moreso? It's power supply is in the very same box.

What are the symptoms of the problems caused because I don't notice a thing?

I just now hooked up my portable Grado amp to a MD player and while listening to it through my Grados with music as well as while on pause.....moved the amp all around, up down, front, back, sideways, behind every piece of equipment in the photo....actually touching all pieces....receiver, amp, tuner, MG Head, Headmaster, Stereo-Link, computer tower, 17 " monitor....all pieces turned on at the same time....(which never happens under normal circumstances by the way)....and heard nothing different at all. No hum, buzz, or change in fidelity. I even sat the Grado amp on top of the Head's two transformers and placed it as close as I could to the glowing tubes.

I then repeated the same thing by moving the MD Player all around, again actually touching each piece, front, back, and sides.

Same thing.

I even dragged the amp and then the MD player across the screen of the monitor and pushed it as close into the connecting wires at the back of all the components as I could. I covered every square inch of exposed components. Nada.

So whatever harm it's supposed to be doing, I'm not noticing it.

I can't help but think that with the millions of dollars in R&D spent by dozens of electronics companies....big and small....that they too would have access to the sort of test equipment you speak of and would be well aware of EMI, RFI, and all the other nasties. And that if it were a huge problem, they would (A) do something to rectify it. Or (B) strongly recommend you don't put individual components in close proximity to each other.

A good friend of mine was the permanent on location head electrician for IBM in Canada. He took me through their Canadian operations a couple of times.

I've seen racks containing tens of thousands of dollars of audio components....used in the million dollar....spare no expense....state of the art a/v teaching rooms at IBM's main buildings in Markham, Ontario. Racks containing several large amplifiers stacked along with all sorts of A/V and computer components. All this sitting on top of a hollow floor jammed packed with all sorts of cables.

I know lBM isn't Mark Levinson, but still, they seemed rather concerned about everything operating absolutely perfect.

It seems that ( among many other things ) this sort of "detail" (not stacking components) is only a concern of the ultra high end community.

Perhaps some of the ultra high end pieces of equipment....like $50,000 hand built amps, designed by brilliant, one man band, but seriously under-funded with extremely limited engineering resources sort of companies, can cause serious leakage problems.

I don't doubt that there are various things being emitted by certain components, but I do question whether in the real world, especially with mid-fi audio components, it has a noticable effect.

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #39 of 46
mbriant,

If you can't hear any differences, then, at the end of the day, that's really all that matters. There are very likely no problems then.

To answer your question about a component wreaking havoc on itself: Actually, if you look in some components (like, for example, a good CD player), you'll often find the power supply quite separated (laterally) from the transport and the rest of the guts. It doesn't take much distance at all to escape the bulk of the emissions. However, the distance between the power supply in that same component and the top of the unit immediately above it might be as little as an inch (give or take some).

Regarding the millions of dollars of R&D money spent by the companies: Yes, I would imagine they have far better instruments than the $179 AlphaLab meter I'm using to measure such things. Now I never said it was a "huge" problem. But it can be a problem. Why don't they rectify it? Expense probably. And maybe because, as you state, most of the time it's not an audible problem. Why don't they recommend that you not place equipment immediately above or below it? Probably for the same reason as above, and because even a kind warning (like it may cause EMI-induced noise) would probably result in a lot of unnecessary product returns. I can't answer why a manufacturer does or does not place certain suggestions in their manuals. My SCD-C333ES is one of the best-shielded components I've measured. Sounds great too. And Sony ES is supposed to be their better grade stuff -- yet the manual doesn't recommend I use better interconnects than the crud they put in the box, and that would certainly be good advice.

As to what it sounds like: If my unshielded headphone cable (especially now that I sold my Clou) runs near my cell phone charger or the left side of my notebook computer, I can hear a hum, and a clicky hum, respectively. In both cases, it's light, but it's enough for me to keep my headphone cable away from those (and my other) components. I will admit that when I put my headphone amp on top of my SCD-C333ES, I can't hear a difference from where it is now. But I figure I've got the desk space to separate the two, and so I separate them. Vertigo-1 actually has/had a Grado RA-1 headphone amp, and, when next to his monitor, he was getting audible noise. So he moved it. Again, the most important thing is that you don't hear it and that you're not having any problems with it. We all have to work with what we've got. And you happen to have a lot of stuff, where keeping several inches between everything might be impractical. Again, in both my rigs, I've only got a source component and an amp (and headphones of course). But if I had as much stuff as you do, I might also find myself ignoring my AlphaLab meter, and likely not noticing any deleterious sonic effects.

I've noticed it doesn't take much distance to practically escape from the fields either. For example, immediately adjacent to my cell phone charger, I measure around 25 milligauss of AC magnetic field on the AlphaLab meter. Eight to ten inches away, and the measurement drops to what, on this side of my house, are general ambient levels (<3 milligauss).

My wife thinks me odd as I move around my desk with my AlphaLab meter in hand. Maybe I am.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #40 of 46
Another thread from back in the day... that I think head-fiers might find intriguing....

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
Another thread from back in the day... that I think head-fiers might find intriguing....

Aight man, you need to cut back on the thread bumpage, methinks.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 46
Apparently it's not that intriguing if it hasn't been posted in since June of 2001
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho

Ah the negative part of the search function...

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Apparently it's not that intriguing if it hasn't been posted in since June of 2001

No kidding. That was day 2 of Head-fi. We had something like 50 or 60 members at that point...and some antique computers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back