mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's my office setup.

View

View

View

View

Jun 21, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 46
Nice setup Mbriant! That tower looks huge. What's inside, CPU, etc.? How does the Sugden sound compared to say the MG HeadDT which I have? I always wanted to try one of those out.

Jun 21, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 46
*DROOL*

What an awesome stash of portables...and is that a Stax Gamma I see next to the Sennheiser HD-580s?

Jun 21, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 46
What is that thing above the Candian flag? You have an office full of geeks staring in amazement at your setup, BTW. It looks like some sort of patch/mixer panel.

Jun 22, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 46
Thanks everyone. I've got you people and Headwize to thank for this pile of stuff. Visa thanks you too.

acidtripwow: It's a 1ghz Athalon Thunderbird, 512 meg ram, 3 x 60 gig HD's, SoundBlaster Live Platinum. I plan on doing a complete comparison review of the Sugden, Grado, and MG Head at some point in the near future. As you know, the MG Head offers that classic, smooth tube sound ( without the classic tube hum/hiss) while the HeadMaster is the poster child for clean, transparent solid state sound.

jude: LOL...and the photos are nearly as bad. I spent an hour straining my eyes on the Headroom photos before throwing in the towel. You deserved that handsome prize. And you deserve a big thanks for saving everyone's sanity. I'm amazed how you pulled this all together so quickly. Well done !

Vertigo-1: I've seen your photos....you've got nothing to drool about.
smily_headphones1.gif
And no, those phones are about as far away from Stax as you could get. They're a pair of Audio Technica ATH-5's which were given to me as a gift when I visited A.T.'s head office in Tokyo during the mid 80's. They sound lousy, but I keep them for nostalgia sake.

SumB: Don't worry about your baby. I even cover it with a towel when not in use.

Neruda: Will do.

neil: That's the front panel for the SoundBlaster Live Platinum. It's got all sorts of inputs/outputs, making life simpler. I've managed to improve both the headphone and speaker quality from my computer during playback by bi-passing the SB Live and running through the Stereo-Link unit which is sitting on top of the Headmaster amp. This thing plugs into a USB port and acts as an external dac, plugging into the Luxman Integrated Amp. The headphone jack in it, while cheaply made, sounds quite good as well.

Jun 22, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 46
mbriant - I think you should graduate to a 6 ft. rack/rail system for your audio equipment.

APC-AR1000A-icon.gif
What do you think? Your components don't have to be rack-mountable -- you just have to buy trays -- also keeps the top load off of each unit.
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 46
What? I supposedly got a sound blaster live platinum with my computer, why didn't I get that sweet front panel? Did I get ripped off?

Jun 22, 2001 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 46
neruda, if you got the Platinum, which is $200 US, you should've gotten lots of stuff - plenty of software plus this front panel. Unless you got just plain Live MP3 or Gamer, with or without 5.1. If you haven't, you got ripped off pretty badly - front panel makes most of the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back