Photos: HeadAmp Pico & RSA Predator
Dec 30, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #62 of 112
The pico innards remind me of the Lavry. (This is a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #63 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by OptionTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the interior of RWA's Signature amp which is also highly regarded. Your point is?

the difference being the Predator is a portable amp while the Sig is a full size home amp.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #64 of 112
What's that got to do with how much is crammed in a given amount of space? You could perform the same comparison of "full sized" home amps similarly sized as the Sig and also see some examples of designs that do not have a high parts count. Again, it really doesn't mean a thing. It's all about implementation and, in the end, how it sounds to your ears.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #65 of 112
not pics of the innards of the two amps being discussed above, but here is my sig30 being fed by the dac of the pico, also being used as a preamp. i'm loving the sound w/this combo and my k1000:

picok1000-2.jpg

picok1000-3.jpg

picok1000-4.jpg

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #66 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not pics of the innards of the two amps being discussed above, but here is my sig30 being fed by the dac of the pico, also being used as a preamp. i'm loving the sound w/this combo and my k1000:

Nice!

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #67 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From asr's photos, the Predator's insides look a bit empty in comparison...

I'm glad you brought this up as I was going to ask ASR if the Pred has 2 opposing PCB's as it looks in the pictures. Might be a reason the Pico PCB looks so full?

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #68 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you brought this up as I was going to ask ASR if the Pred has 2 opposing PCB's as it looks in the pictures. Might be a reason the Pico PCB looks so full?

The Predator does have 2 PCBs.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #70 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did someone say they wanted pics of the guts? Here ya go:

HeadAmp Pico

pc-i1.jpg

pc-i2.jpg

pc-i3.jpg

pc-i4.jpg

RSA Predator

pr-i1.jpg

pr-i2.jpg

Does anyone know what chip Predator DAC uses?
I see wm8740 stamped on the Pico's as well as AD1896 upsampling converter, but Predator's is painted over.
confused.gif
What's the spec on this thing?

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #71 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know what chip Predator DAC uses?
I see wm8740 stamped on the Pico's as well as AD1896 upsampling converter, but Predator's is painted over.
confused.gif
What's the spec on this thing?

RSA sands off and then paints over chips in all of his amps. Sadly this is the case with Predator as well. I tried to figure out on mine, but even after removing paint, markings was sanded off. However, after asking some experts, it looks to be PCM2704. It is the same DAC chip used in almost every USB DAC/amp.

btw, nice cheburashka
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #72 of 112
Wow!, that cap in the Predator is huge!
I want to know about the DAC too; I don't think it's the 2704... that's a really common one, and the Predator as a DAC is highly regarded...

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #73 of 112
I've also heard that it's the PCM2704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back