Photography VS Music (and $500.)
Aug 10, 2007 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

dissembled

Headphoneus Supremus
Choices:

Kenwood HD30GB9

2006101308514883.jpg

I've decided to pass out on building a home setup. I want portability and feel that a home setup will restrict me to one corner of the house. Not being able to attain audio nirvana wherever I go. That thought depresses me. A lot.

Smartest alternatives? HD30GB9 or an IMOD. I choose Kenwood.

Olympus E330 DSLR

Olympus%20E-330%20camera.jpg
olympus_e330_2B.jpg

Why I chose this over more technically efficient DSLRs?
Simply because of the Live Preview option and the tilting LCD screen. My photography consists of mostly spontaneous, candid shots. Street scenes, candid family portraits, etc. I'll need to be as invisible as humanly possible.

So...Photography or music? Both are equally important factors in my life. I seriously cannot, cannot, cannot decide for the life of me.

(Yes, I intend to buy both. But I'm young and saving up for both of them with a part time job will take me some time. Not to mention that I'll have to save up for school books as well ($400+). School is around the corner and that'll take up most of my time. So it'll take even longer. Oh...the...pain!!!)

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided to pass out on building a home setup.

Geez, sorry to hear that a building a hope setup would cause you to pass out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Though, seeing as it is a music forum, I think the general consensus will be that you build a music setup.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 34
Why not list your current headphone/photography gear first? If you already have a camera, but don't have a portable rig, then get the portable rig.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 34
If you want to be spontaneous and invisible, then i'd go for a nice p&s camera.

That way you can carry it in your pocket. I know I don't carry my DSLR around unless I have a planned trip. I leave the p&s for small family occasions and parts/ext.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 34
I say photography. Listening to music, as great as it is, can't really compare to photography IMO. It's comparing apples to oranges. In one, you're creating something with your own hands and your own vision. The other, you're just listening to what someone else has created.

Photography is a hobby that will teach you a great deal about yourself and others and possibly let you grow as a human being.

Listening to music is, well....Just listening to music. Listening in higher fidelity isn't going to really change the music, or change you as a human being.

Edit: Happy 888th post to me.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to be spontaneous and invisible, then i'd go for a nice p&s camera.

That way you can carry it in your pocket. I know I don't carry my DSLR around unless I have a planned trip. I leave the p&s for small family occasions and parts/ext.

My old P&S was kind of restrictive. There were many street scenes/night scenes that I couldn't capture because of its slow A&F/ limited ISO. More importantly, the thing I want the most right now is some bokeh!
biggrin.gif

That beautiful, oh so very creamy bokeh makes scenes so much more emotional, more significant. Artsy fartsy but impactful.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say photography. Listening to music, as great as it is, can't really compare to photography IMO. It's comparing apples to oranges. In one, you're creating something with your own hands and your own vision. The other, you're just listening to what someone else has created.

Photography is a hobby that will teach you a great deal about yourself and others and possibly let you grow as a human being.

Listening to music is, well....Just listening to music. Listening in higher fidelity isn't going to really change the music, or change you as a human being.

Edit: Happy 888th post to me.

Happy 888th. And very good point. With photography, you get to create art. Be able to express yourself through perpectives, composition, angles. I've also noticed that humanity is best expressed through photos.

Admittedly however, there are some songs that are beautiful enough to 'touch' you like there was no tomorrow. Music is also significant enough (for me anyway) to affect my mood/current...errr...perspective, you may say.

One can say that both are art forms in their own right but both are different in that one requires interaction with the surrounding world while the other actually 'prohibits' it. Listening to music, IMO results to more 'abstract' thoughts and is an ultimately solitary experience.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe the case here is choosing between not listening to music at all or listening to music in higher fidelity (assuming that he doesn't have a portable rig in the first place).

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the case here is choosing between not listening to music at all or listening to music in higher fidelity (assuming that he doesn't have a portable rig in the first place).

I do have a DAP at the moment. But no camera.
Will that sway the votes?
biggrin.gif

Thing is I can't buy better, more revealing phones until I can get a decent source for myself. In fact, I find it very hard to get myself to buy $100+ phones (AD900; MS2) to mate with the dap I have at the moment (ZVM). My main phone at the moment: Senn EH350. Ety ER6 during commutes.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have a DAP at the moment. But no camera.
Will that sway the votes?
biggrin.gif

Thing is I can't buy better, more revealing phones until I can get a decent source for myself. In fact, I find it very hard to get myself to buy $100+ phones (AD900; MS2) to mate with the dap I have at the moment (ZVM). My main phone at the moment: Senn EH350. Ety ER6 during commutes.

Screw another DAP if you already have one. Get the camera first and upgrade your DAP later.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 34
Get the portable player setup + a really nice compact like f31fd. That thing takes pics comparable to DSLR and is very discreet. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24242736 portraits/night shots cannot be beaten with ANY other compact.

I was recently in the market for a nice DSLR but needed the money to put into other things. I ended up going with the f31fd and am more than happy. Actually amazed. If you do some amount of research you'll quickly realize how many other people there are that praise this camera as #1 in it's range + as a bonus, it's very affordable!

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 34
i vote photography equipment... mainly for the same reason as mr_baseball_08. i get MUCH more gratification with my photography than i do listening to music.

don't get me wrong, i thoroughly enjoy listening to music and sometimes it's just what i need... but photography is just so rewarding (i can't help but be biased as photography is my main focus right now since i've achieved my temporary audio nirvana
tongue.gif
)

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i vote photography equipment... mainly for the same reason as mr_baseball_08. i get MUCH more gratification with my photography than i do listening to music.

don't get me wrong, i thoroughly enjoy listening to music and sometimes it's just what i need... but photography is just so rewarding (i can't help but be biased as photography is my main focus right now since i've achieved my temporary audio nirvana
tongue.gif
)

Opposite for me. To be completely honest with all of you, my photography interest has been waning a lot this year due to Head-Fah. Actually, it's been waning somewhat throughout the years ever since I entered college (05).

Maybe it has something to do with me living in suburbia and not being able to photograph anything but houses. I've also noticed that people are generally more 'paranoid' with other people in suburban settings. Don't have a car as of yet so I don't have readible access to Manhattan. And commuting there via train is mad expensive.

If you guys only know how hard it is not being able to buy $150+ phones because your source is not up to par. It hurts more and more as I browse this forum. :'(

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the portable player setup + a really nice compact like f31fd. That thing takes pics comparable to DSLR and is very discreet. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24242736 portraits/night shots cannot be beaten with ANY other compact.

I was recently in the market for a nice DSLR but needed the money to put into other things. I ended up going with the f31fd and am more than happy. Actually amazed. If you do some amount of research you'll quickly realize how many other people there are that praise this camera as #1 in it's range + as a bonus, it's very affordable!

Wow. Very, very nice price. Would you know of a version with a swiveling LCD screen? With its$200 price tag, it seems like the perfect combination! I really don't want to give up the Kenwood.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back