Photo Editing Software
Apr 16, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone recommend some photo editing software? It does not have to be anything fancy. I'm just looking for something basic. My two main requirements are that it must be free and able to open more than one photo at the same time. Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 19
My favorite photo editing software is easily Adobe Lightroom.

I have Adobe Photoshop CS3, and CaptureNX and always prefer Lightroom's ease of use and results. It's not free, I have no idea what it costs, but if you can get your hands on it I think you'll like it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 19
Basic and easy to use ? Photofiltre of course !
I use photoshop and lightroom when I need to do some fancy editing, but if I only need to resize/crop or slightly adjust the contrast or the colors, I always use photofiltre.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 19
I've played around with many of those listed here, they get the job done, but if you really get into photo editing and image work you can't beat Photoshop CS3 or CS4 (CS4 only really added more 3D and video editing). Takes a while to learn but damn is it powerful.

Ka-boom, is it just me or is CaptureNX just kind of useless?

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 19
I only do Photoshop, but if I need to do some photo editing and it's not available, the Gimp works well on short notice.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, as its user interface is, if I may say so myself, awful.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've played around with many of those listed here, they get the job done, but if you really get into photo editing and image work you can't beat Photoshop CS3 or CS4 (CS4 only really added more 3D and video editing). Takes a while to learn but damn is it powerful.

Ka-boom, is it just me or is CaptureNX just kind of useless?

I have Photoshop 4.1 from back in the days when I studied photoshop at a technical college. Back then PS cost over $900.00 CAD exept to students it was a low bargain price of $650.00 :/ Whether you were an individual or a company who wrote the cost off on a tax claim the price was still the same. Expecting an individual to pay over $900.00 CAD for a prog that was no more than 15mb of data back then was highway robbery. I see PS CS is now a bit more reasonable at $650.00 CAD but that is still a ridiculously high price to expect an individual user to pay for home use, especially when the Gimp can do 90% of what PS can for free. I still use PS4.1 on my XP PC but it won't even install to Vista due to the installer being a 16bit exe. It does everything I need so will bever buy another copy of PS in my lifetime. THe only people who really need to use PS are people who work in the industry because it is the standard used there.

BTW, a lot of individuals who use PS for home use never paid a penny for it because they downloaded it using P2P. Not me, I own a legit licensed copy, even if it is ten years out of date. That's another thing, Adobe wanted me to pay $250.00 per upgrade to keep it current. NFW am I that stupid.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Photoshop 4.1 from back in the days when I studied photoshop at a technical college. Back then PS cost over $900.00 CAD exept to students it was a low bargain price of $650.00 :/ Whether you were an individual or a company who wrote the cost off on a tax claim the price was still the same. Expecting an individual to pay over $900.00 CAD for a prog that was no more than 15mb of data back then was highway robbery. I see PS CS is now a bit more reasonable at $650.00 CAD but that is still a ridiculously high price to expect an individual user to pay for home use, especially when the Gimp can do 90% of what PS can for free. I still use PS4.1 on my XP PC but it won't even install to Vista due to the installer being a 16bit exe. It does everything I need so will bever buy another copy of PS in my lifetime. THe only people who really need to use PS are people who work in the industry because it is the standard used there.

BTW, a lot of individuals who use PS for home use never paid a penny for it because they downloaded it using P2P. Not me, I own a legit licensed copy, even if it is ten years out of date. That's another thing, Adobe wanted me to pay $250.00 per upgrade to keep it current. NFW am I that stupid.

Agreed an all you said. Adobe also came out with "Photoshop Elements" (or something like that, I think it was either renamed and named something else before) for home use, it's essentially Photoshop with all of the fancy-schmancy prepress stuff taken out. You can't do 16-bit-per-channel 6-channel images with it (I don't think), but it's enough for general... umm... Photoshopping.

Adobe's biggest strength isn't the flexibility or power of their programs, but the user interface and fact that every designer and photographer is already trained in the use of their program.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 19
I'd add a vote for the Gimp or paint.net.

Both are free, unlike Photoshop Lightroom or Aperture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back