Phones for College
May 20, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 33
Does your laptop have a line-out jack that is separate from the headphone jack? If so, an amp may be a good investment. If not, the Emu 0404 USB would work well, but all these components will significantly increase the amount you're going to spend. Unfortunately, most of the cans you listed (except D2000 I believe), need an amp.

For college, it is likely you'll need a closed pair of cans, or open cans that don't leak much, so as not to annoy the hell out of your roommate. Koss KSC-75 doesn't leak a whole lot, sounds incredible, and is really cheap, so you won't need to worry about theft. Another solid suggestion that was mentioned before is the Audiotechnica A900. HD280 is popular, but personally, I didn't like it at all. Extremely uncomfortable, anemic bass, and just overall unpleasant.

May 20, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #17 of 33
I used a Beyerdynamic DT770 my freshman year of college when I lived on campus, and it really helped to have closed cans for a number of reasons:

1. Isolation: If you'll be studying outside, in the library, or at an on-campus coffee shop, it will really help to have closed cans both for the purpose of blocking outside noise as well as not disturbing others.
2. Comfortability is a huge issue, because if you're like I was, you'll pull an all-nighter or two per week, and you'll want to be able to keep those headphones on for 8+ hours. The DT770 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned.
3. Durability is important too, and the DT770 are well-built. I use the Ultrasone Proline 750 now, and while I prefer its sound, I do miss the build quality of the Beyers. You'll need to throw these headphones in your bag every once in a while, and you don't want to have to fuss over keeping a case or bag available for them.
4. Efficiency in a headphone is nice simply for convenience. Even if you consider getting an amp to use with your headphones, remember that you won't always be listening to music from your own laptop. You'll be borrowing a friend's iPod to check out a new album he got or plugging into another friend's laptop to watch a movie, and you won't want to have to deal with hooking up an amplifier along with it.

I go to a relatively ritzy/safe school, where most kids don't lock up their closets nor their laptops, so keeping a $150 pair of headphones around was not much different. Since you'll be in the honors dorm, I bet you will feel just as safe.

That's my opinion. After freshman year, I moved away from campus and have room for a larger collection of headphones/audio gear. But when I was on campus, my Grados always stayed in the drawer, and my Beyers were always on my head.

May 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 33
i would say it really depends on what you want to do with them. if you're going to carry these around with you and possibly listen while you're walking i'd recommend not getting a bulky pair of headphones with a 10' cable. a pair of IEMs would be best for that if you want to maintain a certain level of sound quality (the isolation is useful if you don't want to be distracted too). my first pair of "real" headphones were grado sr60s that i bought in college, which i still have (10 years later) ... they're fantastic for the price and don't need an amp. unless you're really set on spending $200 i'd suggest those (and for less than you want to spend you could get sr60s and a pair of decent IEMs).

May 20, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #19 of 33
IEM's are petite devils...

they are at an unfair advantage as they dig deeep into your ears

May 20, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylanbenimble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and i do agree about the theft thing being an issue.

You could just paint whatever you get so that it's easy to spot. Otherwise people are more liable to grab your mp3 player than a big pair of headphones.

Quote:

As for the phones, i am really not that informed on amps, but how practical would it be to try and connect the laptop up to one?

You could hook the laptop up to an amp, but that won't help the fact that your laptop has a crappy soundcard. The already-mentioned E-mu0404 (or 0202) USB would be a smart purchase on top of whatever headphones you choose. You can use the E-mu's onboard amp for now, and if you keep hanging around this site, try adding a proper amp later.

May 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 33
Yeah I just finished sophomore year and the dorms can be a bit crazy but it's not going to be insanely loud when listening to music in your room. Also, grado leaks alot of sound but I wouldn't be too too worried about it keeping your roomate up or anything. I bought sr60s to use cause my roommate slept alot, then I went back to school for 4 days, left to debate in ohio for a weekend, came back and he had moved out, so I never got to test it though. College, lol. I just bought sr 2252 and I really like them too. Listen to mostly rock, spoon,arcade fire w/e.

FYI here's what I did this year, given your budget you could pull it off too, may not be desireable. I got sr60s and then some Super.fi 3s because it's really portable. I would not want to lug cans around, especially in a bag where they could get broken. Add on the fact if you go grad you'll look like you're the only kid in air traffic control 303. Given your budget you could swing used 225s for ~150 and decent IEMS for ~100 if you have an ipod. Maybe you're cool carrying cans around too, just something to think of.

May 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 33
ER4P are nice, almost brand new pair on the F/S for 140 w/ shipping and paypal fees included
redface.gif

Just wear a scarf or something if you walk with them to minimize the cable noise, and don't get hit by a bus or helicopter.

May 20, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not giving head phone names, but I'm going to say. College, esp dorms, means that a lot of people would be moving back and forth, things might go "missing". Especially if your room mates have a lot of friends since you don't know them personally you can't really screen them.

I agree. please make sure you have a solid locker and padlock or something that u can lock your valuables while you're away. every bit of caution helps in a college dorm. likewise you won't want to give people the temptation to do something they'll regret.

May 20, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 33
I got my Phone stolen, IEM's also stolen during my High school days...someone took it out of the bag during lunch break.

was some Classmate for sure..

May 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Phone stolen, IEM's also stolen during my High school days...someone took it out of the bag during lunch break.

was some Classmate for sure..

Well, I'm not saying that every single lost item was stolen, but if you know that you leave it on your desk and plugged into yoru laptop, then it goes missing. You'll be fustrated to no ends.

Have fun with any phone syou decide on, but seriously consider some security.

May 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 33
I wish I was into headphones when I was in college. The dorm I lived in wasn't very sound-proof, and the guys next door used to clap and cheer so loud at the screen during sports games (They can't freakin' hear you! Why are you cheering?) that a good pair of closed headphones would have made my life a lot easier.

I would say, for comfort, price, and sound quality that, IMO, the Beyerdynamic DT-770/80 would be the "ticket". Good isolation, low impedance so a amp isn't necessarily needed, and they are very sturdy and comfortable.

If you're worried about your roommate/thieves, I would get a lockable chest and put them in there (and other valuable items) until you're certain that your roommate isn't an idiot. Also, get a lock for your laptop (you're not going to lug it EVERYWHERE, are you?).

Just my opinion. Good luck at college and enjoy your time there.

Nylan

May 20, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 33
Again all the help is appreciated

I do have a pair of shure E3c earphones that i got a year ago for actual portability so im not too worried about getting looks.

But it seems like the sr225's and the Dt770's sound like good choices that i am looking into. I know i can get the DT's for 150. and then have some left over. But i havent really seen the SR225s for less than 200.

and my parents already got this weird crate looking thing for me to lock stuff up in haha

May 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #28 of 33
trick with 225s is to find them on the for sale forum. I know someone was selling them today so go take a look, if not post a wanted ad I'm sure someone would sell them 150 shipped. Ebay prices can go kind of high because grados are expensive in foreign countries and people will pay at/above market US value to have them shipped out of the country under the nose of Grado and customs.

May 21, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found dorm life fairly quiet and my roommate wasn't disturbed by my 595s. I wouldn't say closed is necessary by any means.

Wow, I fell really spoilt. I'm at uni and have my very own room (though i'm in shared housing and not a dorm, as shared housing is a lot cheaper and nicer).
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #30 of 33
No IEMs?
Im a high school student and I really like my SE530s. Just the whole IEM idea in general. Easy to stick in your pocket everywhere you go. You dont have to worry about getting them stolen because they will either be in your ears or in your pocket.

IEMs you might want to consider:
universal fit:
SE530
UE Triple.Fi

customs:
livewires
FreQ Shows/SuperFreQs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back