Phones for College
May 21, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 33
I would stick to iems, well it depends on your situation. They are easier to protect/hide from dumb roommates and they are closed. But full size headphones are well full size so I dunno.

I live 2 hours from my university and I drive home every weekend, I was taking my DT990's back n forth and that got old. It's so much easier for me to carry 2 little pouches. Oh and also where I live on campus, its noisy from all the traffic.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #32 of 33
I currently have Ultrasone 750s, although they sound awesome. iem's are more "practical" i will be a freshman in college this upcoming year and I am thinking of picking up some tripple fi's ,it would be so much easier to carry around and deal with. ya know? full sized headphones aren't easy to carry from place to place.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #33 of 33
As a junior for the upcoming semester, I'll describe what I did. I started with E3c's then went to futuresonics. not telling you to switch or anything but IEM's are definitely the way to go when you're walking around.

I have speakers in my dorm room so unless my roommate got really mad or anything i would just use those. I do have a pair of DT770's and have just purchased some SR325's for 150. DT770's are definitely great but amps will make it better. I bought myself a EMU 0202 and then another portable amp to use with it's line out. definitely much better than my X-fi sound card. so i would definitely recommend that if you have some extra money hanging around. at least do yourself the favor and get an EMU.

so what have i learned from my two years as a college student with expensive-ish headphones. one thing, if you have a roommate you know, you should be fine with your things. never had anything missing as long as you lock your doors. next, i would never bring my DT770's around anywhere. i sometime bring them to lan parties now but i've never brought them out of my dorm except for maybe once or twice to the library. after figuring out that i would like something smaller for the library i bought some ES7's. definitely more portable. so i guess the best thing to do is go to college, figure out if you'll be in your room often to actually sit down to listen to music, and then from there determine whether or not getting a DT770 would be worth it. everybody has different situations so you just have to make a decision that fits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back