Phones for Bruckner/Mahler?
Oct 15, 2006 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wae5

500+ Head-Fier
My SR60s are congested in tutti fortissimos. I prefer the raucous, untamed Grado sound for Bruckner and Mahler so would this congestion diminish if I moved up to the MS1s or SR225s? I use PA2V2 and Presonus HP4 amps.

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 22
Definitely not Grado. They're too thin for large, lush-sounding orchestral music. You should be looking at a pair of used HD600, new HD595 or new HD580 instead. I can't imagine listening to Bruckner or Mahler on my loaned HF-1. They're just too shrill and lacking a bit of warmth. I love Mahler and Bruckner and I find that the HD650 does extremely well too!

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Definitely not Grado. They're too thin for large, lush-sounding orchestral music. You should be looking at a pair of used HD600, new HD595 or new HD580 instead. I can't imagine listening to Bruckner or Mahler on my loaned HF-1. They're just too shrill and lacking a bit of warmth. I love Mahler and Bruckner and I find that the HD650 does extremely well too!

Just about what he said, but I'd pass on the HD650. Save your $$ and get the HD600 - much better tonal balance than the HD650, IMO. They can be had for under $200 used.

FWIW, K701 will sound good with small orchestra stuff, but I usually found it rather 'empty' sounding with the huge textures. Same with the K501 - even better than the K701 with solos and small orchestras, but can be thin with some big textures. The repeated descending horns in the Bruckner 8th 2nd mvt. sound like toys on either of the AKG's, where they have some serious b@lls on the HD600.

It's great to see more classical listeners piping up these days. I did a classical shootout review a few weeks ago that included a large orchestra (Elgar 1st Symp) http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197853

Good luck!

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 22
For Symphonies I prefer k340...... the same for opera - but your present setup cannot run them. They demand much more power. AKG 701 are really best served with a tube amp with more power than you have in your possession - so for the interim I'll prepare myself for the brickbats reserved for heretics and suggest one of the new Beyer dt990 2005..........or at a lower price level you could definitely entertain a pair of AKG k240s (buy a pair of Beyer Velour earpads for them and remove the stock foam under earpads and go naked or find some thinner foam) and use amped. The sound is surprisingly good and not simply not badly "bass-bloated" as many claim......and yeah, Mahler (tho mostly w/Bernstein), and Bruckner are often in my playlists.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 22
I second the Dt990's or if you prefer a leaner, brighter presentation, the Dt880's( both 05). I have both and the 250 ohm versions are pretty easy to drive and not real picky about the amp. The 990's are a decidedly warmer and fuller sounding can but the dt880 is more detailed and more technically adept. Both are very detailed and image like a champ. A great analogy was made on another thread that the 880's are like studio monitors while the 990's are more like full range home speakers. I bought my 880's new on ebay for about $230 and you should be able to find the 990's for another $40-50.

Oct 15, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
Just about what he said, but I'd pass on the HD650. Save your $$ and get the HD600 - much better tonal balance than the HD650, IMO. They can be had for under $200 used.

It's great to see more classical listeners piping up these days. I did a classical shootout review a few weeks ago that included a large orchestra (Elgar 1st Symp) http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197853

Good luck!

"...classical listeners piping up these days." is the key phrase for me! The comments on the presentation of the pipe organ prompted me to be a bit more of a tracker toward HD-600, as I suspect it ships in more of a swell box than a pizza box.
confused.gif

wink.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
"...classical listeners piping up these days." is the key phrase for me! The comments on the presentation of the pipe organ prompted me to be a bit more of a tracker toward HD-600, as I suspect it ships in more of a swell box than a pizza box.
confused.gif

wink.gif

Tuba Mirabilis all the way!!

(A very loud organ stop for non-organ folks)

Oct 15, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 22
I use Lambda Pros for smooth moves. I prefer my Bruckner/Mahler (and Bach organ music too) with a peasant's swagger and Grados are nothing if not this so I'm hoping more pricey Grados become less congested and more open. Am I asking for too much?

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 22
I am currently using, and currently listening to, Bach organ works on my MS2i and having surprizingly good luck!!

I mean; they ain't HD-600s or anything, but they ain't bad!
smily_headphones1.gif

They remind me of a smaller church that an organ recitalist friend from the U of M in Michigan used to put on performances at.

....could use another octave at the bottom though.
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 22
I'm listening both all the time.

On a budget K501

MoneyNoObject R10

K501 is not that far behind for Bruckner and Mahler. You will miss the brass (that Bruckner likes so much) of the R10 though. I never understood why a "wooden" can does brass so well, better than any other "metalic" can.

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I am currently using, and currently listening to, Bach organ works on my MS2i and having surprizingly good luck!!

They remind me of a smaller church that an organ recitalist friend from the U of M in Michigan used to put on performances at.

Oh Wow! I haven't seen this Dude in years and now I learn he has tons of CDs published playing organs all over the world!!

Cool! Now I REALLY NEED cans that will do Organ Music!!

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Oh Wow! I haven't seen this Dude in years and now I learn he has tons of CDs published playing organs all over the world!!

Cool! Now I REALLY NEED cans that will do Organ Music!!

The HD600's are tough to beat for organ music. The AD2000's with some judicious eq'ing are pretty good - better low bass than the 600's, but the fine harmonic detail isn't as good. The K1000's are unbelievable, but only above about 120hz or so - they don't like low bass at all - and they let you know it!

I'm seriously considering becoming a one-can guy, and if I do it will be the 600's. (Gosh, that's sounding like fanboy talk!)

Hey F107+ , PM me sometime, I might know your friend.

Oct 16, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5
My SR60s are congested in tutti fortissimos. I prefer the raucous, untamed Grado sound for Bruckner and Mahler so would this congestion diminish if I moved up to the MS1s or SR225s? I use PA2V2 and Presonus HP4 amps.

To answer the original question: yes the congestion would diminish, and naturally more so with a 225.

On a side note, though, I can tell you you're not alone with your preference of Grado for this stuff. I know a guy who throws Senns, Beyers, and AKGs aside in disgust when he's listening to Mahler, because he hates the slow response. Personally, I'd stick with the German headphones for this stuff because I can't stand the Grado's lack of soundstage, but I realize it's a trade-off.

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
The HD600's are tough to beat for organ music. The AD2000's with some judicious eq'ing are pretty good - better low bass than the 600's, but the fine harmonic detail isn't as good. The K1000's are unbelievable, but only above about 120hz or so - they don't like low bass at all - and they let you know it!

I'm seriously considering becoming a one-can guy, and if I do it will be the 600's. (Gosh, that's sounding like fanboy talk!)

Hey F107+ , PM me sometime, I might know your friend.

Incredibly small world at that!

Amazing to think that a gentleman in Kansas would know the same group of people, and their pets(!) living in Michigan, as does a retired person living in Florida. But it did, and does, happen!! Fascinating at that!

And considering that we have the same taste in music; I believe I will certainly take your advice on the HD-600!
600smile.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 22
For me the HD580s do well on Bruckner, Mahler and Bach Organ as well, I dont really like the AKG K501s for anything densely packed or with a notable low register and the Beyer DT990s are just too boomy at the low end for my taste, imo,ymmv and so on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back