Phones ($90-$125) for hifi/laptop/mp3, newbie plz help!
Oct 29, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chodecz

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some headphones for $90-$125. I want the best for my money and would have no amplifier initially. Mostly will be ued off my laptop for MP3s.

I came up with..
1. Sennheiser hd 565
2. Sennheiser hd 580
3. Sennheiser hd 595

I will prob buy off eBay and dont mind 2nd hand, so it's as cheap as possible!

Any suggestions?

Also, I don't know anything about headphone amps, I found this.. is it good??:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm a complete newbie, some1 plz help me out.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 24
Couple things to consider...
The 580 is out of your price range unless you buy used.
The 595 is out of your price range as well. Used they go for around $150.

I cant really recommend either unamped with MP3s. Unamped they really lack refinement. IMHO the HD580 unamped is downright farty... out of my laptop.

IMHO a safer bet would be to start with a KSC75, radio shack Pro35A or senn Hd201 and a socketable OP amp cmoy. I really like my pro35A, I got it for $8 on ebay and IMHO its a great bargain. I sit here listening to the Eagles on the rat-shack cans as I type.

Spend some time demoing as much as you can. Attend some meets and develop your own sonic preferences.... let your ears guide you.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 24
You need to answer a couple of basic questions if you want advice...

Where will you be using the headphone? Depending on the situation, you may need a closed headphone. If you are in a noisy environment, you will want a closed headphone so you don't kill your ears in order to hear your music. Conversely, if you're in a quiet area, like a public place or library, where you need to be quiet, you will want a closed headphone so others can't hear your music.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 24
regarding that amp...
I personally have never head it. My experience with Pro-audio amps is they're typically high gain circuits, designed around the older standard higher impedence headphones typically used in recording studios.

But times are changing, and lower impedence headphones are very common.

IMHO you are better off with a socketed OP amp cmoy, or that dual c-moy amp on ebay.

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the advice.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I didn't ask for price advice. I have found people selling these models in my price range.

I listen to all types of music (minus country and jazz). I would want them for home usage only. I think I'd prefer open headphones.

Sounds to me as if I need an amp!...

Can you guys recommend the best ones (as cheap as pos) for the Senns!

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chodecz
Thanks for the advice.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I didn't ask for price advice. I have found people selling these models in my price range.

I listen to all types of music (minus country and jazz). I would want them for home usage only. I think I'd prefer open headphones.

Sounds to me as if I need an amp!...

Can you guys recommend the best ones (as cheap as pos) for the Senns!

Well, you did mention a price out of keeping with the range you gave, but if you've done enough homework to find those headphones at such good prices, then you're definitely ahead of the game.

I also want to strongly second Kramer's recommendation of starting off with one of the KSCs or something like a Portapro or PX100. Directly from your computer, these may actually sound better than the more expensive phones you're mentioning.

For a portable amp, you could check out the amps forum. A few current favorites include the Go-Vibe V5 and Xenos OHA in the $80-100 range, and the Little Dot Micro + at a slightly lower price point. Some people have also had positive things to say about that dual CMoy that Kramer mentions.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 24
Don't knock it till you try it. Even though they look cheapo, their SQ is a level above than how they appear to be. The KSC 75 are great; I was really surprised how they improved with amping.

Also check out the Goldring DR50 and DR150 at audioadvisor.com at $50 and $100 bucks respectively. I briefly owned the older sibling the DR150 and there's a big thread on it on here somewhere. It's great unamped, full size, and has nice punchy bass.

If you're really interested in a brand name, then you should try out the Bose Triport
wink.gif

Quote:

Ok, im very confused. These headphone are like cheapo ones.

Maybe I should just stick with my crapty old technics ones :S

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 24
Thanks for the advice.

If I did want to go the Sennheiser route, what would be a good amp???

I say this because I wont just use them for MP3s on the laptop, but for future HiFi usage, discman, etc etc

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 24
I thought I might chime in since I have the Sennheisers mentioned. If you're primarily looking at those, my advice would be the 595. The 580 certainly needs an amp with most mp3 players out there now. I think the 595 sounds fine unamped (it's a low impedence phone that's much easier to drive). It does open up amped, but it's a good starting Sennheiser phone. It's good that it just grows as your system grows. It's also the best all rounder, since it's brighter then other Sennheiser phones (so it's suited for all genres....not stellar for any particular one).

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 24
The HD580 sounds good (not great, but the fault may well lie on the DAC rather than the amp for all I know) out of my laptop's headphone jack. And I wouldn't use an amp with it because that jack is mediocre and noisy as a line-out.
If I was going to spend money on upstream gear, I'd get an external soundcard instead (possibly one marketed as an amp such as the ones HeadRoom and Meier Audio are selling).
Then again, your laptop's headphone jack might work well with an amp and sound terrible without one.

EDIT: Yeah, don't knock the cheapos. Of course, HD580s, K501s and such are technically better but the cheapos still have their uses.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

If I did want to go the Sennheiser route, what would be a good amp???

I say this because I wont just use them for MP3s on the laptop, but for future HiFi usage, discman, etc etc

the M^3 is a great HD580 amp for the $$$ IMHO. Sure you can scale up to the moon but IMHO you start to enter the realm of diminishing returns beyond that point. OP amp roll to fine tune it to your tastes. I use a pimeta with my HD580 and IMHO its a very good starting point for the 580.

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 24
Thanks!

Where can I buy these amps from though?? Is there a webpage with full spec? Could you give me some links please?

Also, what does 'OP amp roll to fine tune it to your tastes' mean???

Sorry to sound like such a noob
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 24
Again as per advised above. Don't overlook the dirt cheapo KOSS KS-75. They are trully awesome and with proper amp and minor mod they can scale up to the likes of Grado SR60 which is 5 times the price.

But since you have a source that can give you Senns 580 or 595 below market price then just go for it, simple fact. You are ahead of the game already

As for amps, just hop over to Head-Fi Amplification section and concentrate on the likes of PA2V2, LDM+, Go Vibe V5 which are popular choices below $100 and Hornets, Xin Supermini/Supermacro, Portaphile for above $200. There's a lot of reviews there that should help you decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back