Phones ($90-$125) for hifi/laptop/mp3, newbie plz help!
Oct 31, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 24
ugh...hd595 is definetly within range, we all know amazon.com :wink:

(they started selling em for 120ish, same goes for hd580)

For mp3 player use you really should go IEM or Grado, depending on music taste/listneing locations. I use altec lansing im716, I think they are still sub 120, and they provide pretty good sound out of my zen micro.
HD595 - HD580 will not do quite too well without amplification. They will beat bose ofcourse, but really not very good for portable use either.
Grado sr60/80, and AKG seem to be grand suggestions for sub-100 phones.

Personally, I am waiting for v-mode vibe to come in 2 weeks or so, 99 bucks, lets see how they hold up against IEM, they might be next best iem for sub $200.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 24
ms-1 - $100 shipped. They are fine unamped.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 24
Second the MS-1. Certainly worth a good look. They ship all over the world for $99.

They do all music but the biggest of the big classical pieces.

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 24
Ok guys, I figure I'm never going to know the difference if I don't hear each one! So I'm going to buy them used from eBay, so I can always sell and get my money back!

I'm going to buy Senn hd580 (also hd565 when some come up), Koss KSC-75 and MS-1 (when some come up).

I'll compare them un-amped and amped! Put an end to ths all, haha!

I need help on an amp though (please!).. I am trying to find a cheap suitable amp for OPTIMUM performance for ALL these headphones. I've shortlisted these ones (I need help on some)..

1. Cmoy (what do I look for, are LM6171 op-amps good? Burr Brown Opamp2132? OPA2227?)
2. Pimeta (where do I buy this from? price? specs?)
3 M^3 (where do I buy this from? price? specs?)
4. All others recommended in this thread

Please please take a couple of mins to help a guy out.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chodecz
Thanks for the advice.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I didn't ask for price advice. I have found people selling these models in my price range.

I listen to all types of music (minus country and jazz). I would want them for home usage only. I think I'd prefer open headphones.

Sounds to me as if I need an amp!...

Can you guys recommend the best ones (as cheap as pos) for the Senns!

Start with the PX 100's, They're around 35.00 at Amazon Right now (Sennheiser PX100's.) You can also try one of the noise cancelling ones as well such as the PXC250 or PXC300's. (Sennheisers as well) They're all within your range and all have a good sound to them.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Ok, im very confused. These headphone are like cheapo ones.

Maybe I should just stick with my crapty old technics ones :S

Well if you just want to blow money then you can write a check right now to me. hehe.

Nov 2, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

1. Cmoy (what do I look for, are LM6171 op-amps good? Burr Brown Opamp2132? OPA2227?)

Hmm .. the fact that you doubted the KSC75 tells me that perhaps you need to do more searching and reading before you spend any more money. There are dozens of threads with titles such as "KSC-75: Wow" and "OMG KSC75 LOLZORS" and "Considering selling my whole rig" because these people try the $20 KSC75 for the first time.

You can learn a lot just by hanging around Head-Fi and reading random threads that perk your interest, and in doing so you're doing yourself a big favor, because it will make you a better-informed consumer, which will save you (potentially lots of) money in the end.

Anyway, any op-amp in a CMoy is "good." Each of them supposedly sounds unique - a few searches should clear up the differences.
biggrin.gif
Pimetas go for about $100, IIRC. An M^3 will set you back about $300.

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Please please take a couple of mins to help a guy out.

Cool man!! Get out nad demo thats the fun part.

1. Cmoy. Don't under-estimate this simple design. Run at 18V with a virtual ground between the cells so the OP amp is fed with +9/-9 from the cells and you'll have a real winner for the $$$. Use minimal filtering capacitance and you'll have a very dynamic circuit. Op amps have unique soud signatures. 1232/2134 are warm and lush, not the most detailed but groovy and an easy listen. 2227 is a very open sounding chip and seems to add energy at the 2 ends end of the spectrum. Lacks the warmth and groove of the 2132/4 though. research my friend!!

2. Surf the used forum, some great pimeta deals lately in the 100-150 range. I'm listening to my misterX pimeta as I type... a very good amp for the $60 I paid for it. I prefer an OPA2107 in mine. If you post a WTB thread maybe one of the forum builders will make you an offer?

3. M^3 is THE budget Sennheiser amp IMHO. I think they go for around $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back