Phone suggestions for a former Bose Tri-port IE user?
Apr 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Billkwando

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

I've been lurking here off and on for a few years and am well aware of how the forum in general view Bose products. Before you point & laugh, I got a pair of the original triport IEs (with the Bose billboard-sized plug, and before they had the b&w cable and inline volume) at the local CD Game Exchange, in the blister pack, for $30. So the price was right, and they did a great job of replacing my Sennheiser MX500s.

Recently they started sounding weird in the left ear, like frequencies were dropping out when the cord was moved. I assumed the plug was bad. I chopped it off and replaced it, and suddenly they were louder and sounded like crap. I'm guessing that plug was huge for a reason.....it must've contained the electronics for Bose's much-derided "DSP".

Anyways, they sound horrible & tinny on some songs now (but still better than the MX500s, which I kept). I assume I'm not crazy? Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JEM...ext=1&index=51 (when the guitar comes in @ :20, it used to sound great. Now it sounds sharp & ouchy (LOL) in my ear. There's a lot of hard panning in this song, and the Bose handled that really well, from a sound stage pov (that's how you guys would say it right? ....it sounded like there was real space in there...hard to explain).

Anyways, I can't bring myself to spend another $100 on them even though I really loved them, and my wife is hip to the whole Bose game, so she doesn't want me giving them $100 either. She understands that I'm spoiled now, so $30 doesn't cut it anymore,but at least wants me to spend the $$ on something deserving of it. LOL

Does anybody have a comparable suggestion for under $100? I know that's probably a crazy question to ask 'round these parts but I thought I'd give it a try.

I need something I can remove from one ear, cos I listen to headphones at work, but have to take calls on a headset, so I pull one ear out and slap on my headset with the music still going. Also, it would be nice to be able to hear when somebody comes up behind me to say hi (I don't listen to them super-loud @ work). In case it matters, the audio source is going to be an Archos 605 and an Archos 402cc (I use the 402 plugged in @ work cos it won't stay charged, and it saves drain on the battery for the 605 which is new).

For music, I listen to mostly rock (L'Arc~en~Ciel, Hyde, Satriani, R.E.M.) and some mellow stuff (Indigo Girls, Tori Amos, Tom Waits, Hirakawachi 1-chome)...just in case that helps. I won't be grooving to much classical or country, but pretty much anything else is a possibility.

Anyway, I knew this would be the best place to ask. Hopefully I'm not asking fror something impossible.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 10
The problem is not with the length of your post but with the fact that the Bose IEs are the least isolating IEMs on the market. Real in-ears isolate far more so if you intend to hear people coming up behind you IEMs are likely not the way to go. Maybe conventional earbuds would be a better option, in which case you may want to look at the Yuin PK/OK series.

Oh and if you do go for in-ears it's not difficult to beat the Bose IEs for a fraction of the $100 price. Nuforce NE-6s deliver a similarly colored sound but with significantly better balance and far less bass bloat for ~$40.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is not with the length of your post but with the fact that the Bose IEs are the least isolating IEMs on the market. Real in-ears isolate far more so if you intend to hear people coming up behind you IEMs are likely not the way to go. Maybe conventional earbuds would be a better option, in which case you may want to look at the Yuin PK/OK series.

Oh and if you do go for in-ears it's not difficult to beat the Bose IEs for a fraction of the $100 price. Nuforce NE-6s deliver a similarly colored sound but with significantly better balance and far less bass bloat for ~$40.

Thanks!! That at least gives me someplace to start. The being able to hear my surroundings isn't that crucial...it would just be nice...especially since apparently I make a scary face when I'm startled.
tongue_smile.gif

Do the Nuforce have a nice soundstage?

I really do wonder what sort of stuff is in that Bose plug.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Yuin PK2 are earbuds but sound like fullsize headphones and very clean, clear, detailed. Also RE0, V-Moda Vibe II, Remix, Hippo VB, image S4, D-Jays, Sony EX500, Sony XB40EX and JVC FXC80.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 10
^ RE0 is not a Yuin, it's made by Head-Direct/HiFiMan.

If you're really okay with IEMs I would recommend also taking a look at the ViSang R03 and Thinksound Thunder (aka TS-01/TS01). Neither these nor the NE-6 will put you in bass-lack shock after the Bose IEs and they won't break the bank at $40-65. The NE-6 isolates most of the three, the Thinksound least. Soundstaging is rather average on the nuforces and thinksounds, a bit wider on the ViSangs.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Hello!

Sorry to necro bump, but are the suggestions above still valid, or has something better come along in the same price range?

Just wanted to check in with teh experts before I buy. :wink:

Edit: Also, I would prefer a brand that's available through Amazon Prime if possible.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 10
I ended up going with the ViSang R03s, partly because most of the other suggestions seem to be sold out or discontinued at Amazon, but they're great. Much more bass by default than my old Bose, without needing to dial in much, but not overpowering. The ear invasion of IEMs takes some getting used to, but the sound makes up for it.

I'm currently using the foam tips, cos the medium and small both had me pushing them back into my ears every 5 minutes to get a good seal. I haven't tried the large silicone tips yet. I ran them for 3 days before I figured out my android had a bunch of goofy sound processing turned on. Once I killed that and got a proper EQ ("Equalizer " off the Play market, with the orange knob icon, is great) they were awesome. I like the crazy braided cable (seems tough) and I absolutely adore the little puck carrying case. It's great being able to comfortably carry headphones in my pocket all the time.

Thanks for the help!

(listening to Beastie Boys "Egg Man" and it sounds awesome)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back