Phonak Perfect Bass
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
On the USA site I am able to order the "Audeo Perfect Bass Earphones (021)" ($89) or the "Audeo Perfect Fit Earphones (111 and 112)" ($139) and they will ship to Canada too. I'm wondering what models these correspond to?

On the International website the two models offered are: Audeo PFE 01x and Audeo PFE 11x

Is one of these the PFE 121 or has that headphone been replaced by something else? I ask because the $89 likely fits into my considerations along with the MC5 and others: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513569/iem-for-classical Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 6
The PFE 1xx comes with more accessories as well as two pair of different filters, grey and black. One for more sparky higher and one for warmer mid. The PFE0xx comes with one pair of green filters for more bass and no accessories (beside eartips), hence it is cheaper. The actual IEM itself are identical between the two models, the differences are in accessories and tuning. You can buy extra filters and exchange them to get 'the other' sound.

The PFE12x is the same as 11x, but with mic for iPhone.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 6
thanks! are these usually worn over-ear style or does it matter? do you think it would be suitable for Classical? I get the notion that Phonak are similar to Ety in a lot of ways...

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes, PFE is good for classical, especially on the gray filters which has the most detail. It does sound a lot like Ety in the fact that it is quite analytical, but it is a bit less aggressive and has a better soundstage. Do note that I haven't heard the green filters / Perfect bass yet.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
thanks! are these usually worn over-ear style or does it matter? do you think it would be suitable for Classical? I get the notion that Phonak are similar to Ety in a lot of ways...

Exactly right. They are like Ety's with musicality added. Ety's are analytical. They are very suited for classical. 

I happened to use Shure olive tips and black filters. It gives me the same detail as the gray filter along with the added bass of the black. When useing the included tips, I used gray filters. Very odd how big a difference the Olives made, but YMMV with that. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 6
do you think the Phonak Perfect Bass has too much bass for classical/acoustic?

thanks for the information, I didn't know it was the same headphone with differently tuned filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back