Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2ND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o2smile.gif

That was quick...
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #1,277 of 2,281
Alright, just a quick question to all owners:

Who actually uses the silicon ear guides?

I haven't been using them for a while, and I just put them back on and it seems like they make the PFEs fit better, or at least stay on better.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #1,279 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't been using them for a while, and I just put them back on and it seems like they make the PFEs fit better, or at least stay on better.

I've been using them regularly. Tonight I went without them and it feels odd because I can feel the wires lifting a bit when I move my head a lot.

For me they do feel good with the guides and I plan to continue using them.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #1,280 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using them regularly. Tonight I went without them and it feels odd because I can feel the wires lifting a bit when I move my head a lot.

For me they do feel good with the guides and I plan to continue using them.

Yeah, that is how I feel now. I would notice that the wire would come up from behind my ear a lot, especially when I'm laying in bed. The guides seem to keep them tightly in place. Good stuff.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,281 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by radagast85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree, I really dislike stuffing extra cable in my pocket when I'm using the phones on-the-go, so in that respect the length is just spot on for me.

Same here if you just place them straight into your jeans or pants pocket it is just alright, if you wanna be fanciful and hang by the back or whatever then too bad.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,282 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask if you use any EQ with your touch? I am using the gray filters with the olive tips and would like a tad more bass but if I try the bass booster it is way too much. I haven't found anything else that I like so I have the EQ turned off at the moment. I really don't want to have to add an amp but it's looking more likely the longer I keep the PFEs.

Here's the deal. I do use the bass boost on occasion, and it only distorts on some tracks. But by and large, it's okay with my Touch. Also, you can go the LOD route by getting one of those relatively inexpensive dongles that plug into the bottom of the Touch/iPhone, like a dock. THen use the 3.5m cable to plug into the FiiO or any other amp. For ultimate sound, get a much higher quality LOD cable with plug (Lil' Knight made mine, he's a very good HF DIYer) and use that plug into the amp. You can also use the mini to mini via the HP out if you just want to add a little bass boost, which the E5 will give you. I use both with the Touch (LOD and HP out via mini cable), and both sound better than just HP out, but the LOD cable is far and away the best. Also, go to headphone.com or Head-Direct.com and pick up a better mini to mini if you decide to skip the LOD cable with plug built in. The ones you get with the FiiO are really cheap.

Finally, save up and get a good amp, iBasso T4 or Mini3 or something along those lines, because the PFEs LOVE to be amped, and really sound their best with a good amp. I am not saying you NEED one, but the PFEs really soar with one.

Oh, and I prefer the black filters over the gray, but most owners prefer the gray.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #1,283 of 2,281
^ Agreed. I think the PFE's have been under hyped considering the SQ coming out of these. I admit it does fit my taste well, but I think it has more to do with a lot of the impressions coming from people using them straight out of a DAP.

I haven't heard them unamped - frankly, I haven't even tried the black filters. They sound just perfect from 20Hz to 17KHz, so there is no need to change anything. Eventually, I'll try the black, but I don't desire any more bass.

Thanks again to those that raised awareness of these IEMs. They are truly a bargain to say the least.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #1,285 of 2,281
I just picked up a pair of SCL4/e4c's and I'm wondering if anybody's compared them to these Phonaks. Also wondering about the NE7's. Anyone compared the 3? I listen mainly to electric Miles, early Genesis, King Crimson, Radiohead, stuff like that. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #1,286 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp are you using Rob? Just curious. I have them in with my Minibox right now and they sound so fine.

I'm using a Xin Supermini III - it was made for the Ety ER4P. It even has a bass boost, P to S converter and crossfeed all for the ety.

It has a warm sound to it which may be why I don't hear any harshness or brightness from the Phonaks that others have mentioned with the gray filters.

Here's some info on the amp

Xin makes some wonderful amps, but you have to buy used or you might wait a year to get them.

From what I've read the Minibox amps are great. Haven't had the opportunity to hear them yet though.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #1,287 of 2,281
Thanks. I've read plenty about Xin amps, and some Head-Fi'ers rate the MB along the same lines. In fact, there is a thread comparing the MB to the Lisa III. Anyway, we agree about the amp issue. Seems the PFEs were made to be amped, which could be a downside, but not if you have an amp that brings out their best. I think dfkt is waiting to get a Minibox. Interesting to see what he thinks.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #1,288 of 2,281
I wasn't very impressed by phonaks for the 1st 2 days...

today 3rd day, I meddled wth my EQ again to see if tweaking could boost something out. after a 30 mins EQing ride, suddenly the sound seems brighter, tighter, n robust. gosh.. vocals improve by almost 2 knots up.
ksc75smile.gif

I have a female artiste album in my DAP which I dun listen much but suddenly her voice sounded so pretty clear n naking sexy.. awesome... love hormones rising through my body...
evil_smiley.gif

the phonaks seems to as if "opens up" with clearer louder sound or maybe its my head/ears... I wonder.
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #1,289 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think dfkt is waiting to get a Minibox. Interesting to see what he thinks.

I'm waiting for the "out of stock" quote on Head-Direct to go away... let's hope their electronics wizard starts building the MBE+ again soon.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #1,290 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i tried, and i don't like them

they seem to be designed to guide the wire to go down the front, so if you like the wires there, the ear guides probably would work find, but i prefer to have the wires go down from my back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back