Phonak Audeo?
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #1,231 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else finding it a bit uncomfortable?

I mean they're light but they go way far into my ears. I've actually had an incident already where the silicone tip became stuck in my ear when I pulled out the phone. That was incredibly awkward.

Also, I think I gotta agree with the anythingbutipod review where it seems the edges kind of poke into sensitive parts of the ear and it becomes sore....

nope. no discomfort at all.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #1,232 of 2,281
i think the thing about pfe's is that you do not, maybe shouldn't even, put them far into your ears.

try the large tips and just stop pushing in when you have a seal

that said, while i do push them in, i still find them very comfortable.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #1,233 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no problems. In fact, comfort rivals the X10s (I use the Complys). Sounds like the PFEs just might not be for you, with all the issues you have encountered.

Well I do like the sound a lot, especially the very nice tight bass and the upper end detail.

Just wish it was better made and slightly more comfortable.

I'm also wondering if I should have just bought the Ety HF2, I think I might pick them up this weekend to compare and see which ones I really like and return one or the other.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #1,234 of 2,281
Once again, no comfort issues here. In fact, they are the most comfortable IEMs I have owned by far.

This is with the Shure (M) Olives. The Olives also snap onto the nozzles of the PFEs quite securely...unlike the included Silicon tips.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,235 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm keeping both because I see different uses for both of them. See, ER-4P isn't really portable friendly with all the fit problems and the cable noise whereas PFEs are really easy to put in and it's less microphonic so it's more ideal for portable use. Where ER-4P/S shines is in detail and imaging area. PFEs do a very good job on this also but it's not on the same level. Because of it's delicate cables and the detail oriented nature, I mainly use it at home when it's nice and quiet so that I can swallow all details that they offer.

I think, you may have been disappointed because you thought PFEs are be all, end all phones, but it's not. It may not do all the things that every IEMs do out there. What it can do is that it does a pretty good job at embracing all the good things that other IEMs can do. And, that's the beauty of it.

Agree, in fact I would not want the PFEs to be my ONLY set of IEMs. I really love them most when hooked up to a quality amp (Minibox E+ in my case). Without an amp, they just don't seem to get enough juice with my DAPs, so I need to really crank the volume. Also, they seem to be a bit thin without the amp. Not sure why, since no one else seems to be too bothered by this situation. Even using the E5 brings them to life. So my view is they are perfect phones, but to me, they really need to be amped to hit their stride. I know GreatDane uses his Pico when the PFEs.

In fact, if you read this GD, do you always use an amp with the PFEs? Just curious.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,236 of 2,281
These are extremely comfortable IEMs. They aren't meant to be shoved far into the ear. I can't see how they could be uncomfortable at all.

I used to own the Etys and these are so much better. The Etys were thin sounding, unlistenable on bad recordings - and that was with the Xin supermini III amp that was designed for the Etys with bass boost. They felt like a painful probe being shoved into my ear, hard to get a solid fit. Micro phonics hell.

The Ety's have slightly better highs, but other than that, the Phonaks do absolutely nothing wrong with the gray filters. Not only that they are so much more addicting and enjoyable to listen to. They are like what the AKG K701s should have been – they are fast, detailed, extremely neutral but musical, energetic very extended. These things are amazing for their price. One of the few products in the headphone world that I can't find a single thing wrong with their sound.

I will say all the problems that I have with the Phonaks are non sound related. I wish they isolated better, but they are sufficient. They don't include enough tip options and I assume they could benefit from a re cable.

I’m an Ety fan and know they could possibly scale up better, but I enjoy these much more. They don’t blow you away at first listen, but they start to sound better and better and pretty soon you can’t seem to stop listening to them no matter how little sleep you get. That’s a rare thing to get from IEMs, and I’ve never had that happen with the Etys or Shure E500s.

I've only used them with a Xin Supermini III amp and IMOD, so I can't speak for how they are without an amp.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,240 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try both and decide. Most say gray. But you really have to decide for yourself.

Prefer the greys too, tried them without filters and it was loud and bright.

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #1,241 of 2,281
Phonak group is the 3rd biggest after Senn and AKG.
wink.gif

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Uncategorized

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #1,242 of 2,281
Hi, I have them for something like three weeks and I really like them. They are my first better iems and for me they are fantastic. I compare them to friends UE Triple Fi 10, UE is slightly better, but phonaks sound detailed and I prefer sound signature of Phonaks.

But what is interesting, they don´t need any extrem power. D2 is on 22/50, Clip is about 55%, Iriver Lplayer 20/40, Zune 120 11/20 and Ipod Classic is on 60%. I really understand, how can somebody listen on maximum volume of Zune, it is extrem.

Does anybody know something about custom tips for Phonak? And what is benefits of custom, better isolation and comfort, right?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #1,244 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable is too short for me
frown.gif

I to wish the cable was longer...

The Phonaks paired with my Zune 120 really rocks the joint!

Crazy sounds, my Doo Wop and Rockabilly never sounded this good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back