Phonak Audeo PFE vs. Sennheiser IE8
Aug 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #136 of 158
nice review..currently I use Cowon D2+ directly connected IE8..Before I bought IE8, my combo is Cowon D2+ and PFE...For my impression, IE8 is much better than PFE on my combo. I have planned to buy Amp for my IE8,but I don't know which the amp suitable to Cowon D2+ and IE8..maybe someone of you can give me any suggestions.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #137 of 158
Alright i ordered my PFEs :p am excited for them to come
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #138 of 158
IE8 and phonaks are totally different signature

IE8 has really good quantity and quality bass whereas phonaks on the other side has this weakness.

Which pretty much sums the difference of the two. Plus ie8 has a really wide soundstage.

It depends on what u use your iems on. For listening, the ie8 has really smooth signature that makes for non-fatigue and enjoyable sound sig.

The phonaks though, appears better use for monitoring.

That aside, i must say phonak's comfort triumps the IE8.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #140 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by muscular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 and phonaks are totally different signature

IE8 has really good quantity and quality bass whereas phonaks on the other side has this weakness.

When using the black filters with the PFE, I wouldn't say totally different. And I also wouldn't say the bass is lacking. The PFEs need to be worn much deeper in your ear that the IE8 (not possible to get the IE8 that deep due to housing shape). The extra bass with the IE8 is mid-bass, along with a stronger impact overall, but the PFE has more bass than say, the UHP336 or ADDIEM.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #143 of 158
Neat review. I've got the IE8s (second-hand). They're nice. Soundstage isn't as big as some reviews said, the bass is somewhat too strong and the vocals aren't coming out at all. Should I consider the phonaks or a nuforce Icon (roughly the same price for me)?

The IE8s are supposedly burnt in 200+ hours. Burning in more myself.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #145 of 158
The IE8 takes quite a while to shine IMO, but when it does, it outclasses the PFE. However, IMO it comes down to what sound signature you prefer.

I have noticed that the soundstage can be really expansive depending on my source, but still think it is wider than my other IEMs. The ss is also song dependent in my experience, so with some songs and sources there won't be a big difference, but when you have a well mastered track with the wide stage and a good source, the stage jumps to another level.

There are a lot of choices with different sound signatures such as the UM3X, C710, C750E, FX500, RE0, and of course the PFE.

And what do you mean by the nuforce icon? The amp, or the NE-7 or NE-8?

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #146 of 158
this may be out of topic (budget-wise, i'm hopeless with the IE8), does the RE0 sounds like the PFE? Which is more PFE-like, RE0 or PK1? I'm planning to buy an Amp3. Will it sound good with PFE? What do you think joe?

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #147 of 158
The only combo I have heard is the IE8 and AMP3. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the PFE with the AMP3, and have never heard the PK1 or RE0. The shortcoming of the PFE IMO is when you have balanced sound (black filters) the detail and soundstage suffers, and when you have the details (grey filters) the bass becomes lite and the overall presentation was way to bright for me.

Based on what I know, I would go with the RE0. The AMP3 does have great, balanced and impactful bass after quite a while (not out of the box) and becomes less bright.

PK1 vs. RE0 comes down to isolation vs. much less iso from a bud. The buds included with the AMP3 (PAA-1) are very good IMO. I have not given them the time others have, but others prefer them to the PFEs.

What I can say is the AMP3 makes some of my lower end IEMs sound so much better!

I think the Mingo WM2 is a good match for the AMP3, very detailed and balanced. The weakness IMO is the bass is a little less controlled than others, but if you like bass there is good impact (not too much with the AMP3). Oh, and the build quality isn't the greatest.

The Denon C710 are good matches for the AMP3 (with an impedance adapter for the Pro1, but the Pro2 shouldn't need one), they sound magical to my ears. But they are a lively performance that is much different than the PFE and I would imagine the PK1 and RE0.

Hope this helps.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #148 of 158
Sorry to bump this thread, but I think it is pointless to create a new one for the same subject. After much reading in search of an IEM, I've come down to IE8 vs PFE. I read the whole 10 pages of this thread but still haven't decided yet.
confused_face_2.gif

I'll be using a Cowon D2+ unamped and listening basically to classical music and jazz. I like an engaging sound experience. I like to feel "immersed" in the music. I'm more of a "Wow, that felt like I was in the concert hall!" than a "Wow, I could hear the second violin picking his nose between movements" kind of guy
smile.gif
Not that detail isn't important. It's just not "detail uber ales" that I'm looking for. I must "feel immersed" in what I'm listening and be moved by the music.

I tried to give you the best description of what I'm looking for. Sorry if I wasn't clearer but the world of quality audio gear is new to me, so I'm not well acquainted with the proper terms yet.

Please advise me before I make a costly mistake. Thanks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #149 of 158
Wish I had a pair of IE8s to compare with...

But having read a lot on this forum, I would say the following:

PFEv1 PROS
Comfort
Isolation
Price
More detail/sparkle on the treble/high-end of things
Strong Midrange performance
More "analytical"

IE8 PROS
Bass Response
Even stronger midrange performance
Wider sound stage
More efficient(?)
More "fun"

But like I said take my comments with a grain of salt as I have never heard the IE8s. Perhaps once they get down to the $100-$150 range I will consider a pair.

I can only really compare the PFEs with the IEMs I have owned or do own: ATH-CK7, Klipsch X5, UE Triple.Fi 10, Head-Direct RE0.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #150 of 158
I just have to add, that of all the IEMs I have owned, the PFEs do live up to their name in terms of being "perfect fit" phones. No other IEM just "disappears" on your ears like they do. They are my default travel IEMs and often keep them in place for 3-5 hours at a time while on flights. All the while, they isolate very well and keep the screaming babies at bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back