Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #2,267 of 3,305
Can anyone recommend a nice mp3 player to use with the PFEs? I love the headphones but both my sansa clip and zune hd are much to quite when I use them at the gym. I'd imagine that adding an amp would fix it but I don't want to carry more stuff at the gym. Anyone have any nice setups for gym use?

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2,268 of 3,305
my cowon j3 drives them just fine and sounds great

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #2,270 of 3,305
I had a J3 for a little while with some Sennheiser ie6s and it was a pretty nice combination.  I switched to the Zune HD because I got a screamin' deal on one (32gb for 125 bucks) and I love the interface and the PC software suite.  I'd hate to leave it, but I may just have to.  The J3 certainly sounds great, no doubt...just don't like the interface at all.  I really hate the way playlists are handled on the J3 tho...and I use it a ton at the gym.  The whole "favorites" thing really bothers me for some reason.  I'm a huge fan of the Cowon/iAudio sound tho...I've had quite a few of their players.

Might just have to go back.  I've got four sets of earphones right now and I like all of them for difference reasons.  PFE (greens, with some blacks on order), Coppers, M3s and original Turbines.  We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,271 of 3,305
Just got my pfe 012 today. The sound is great, but the cord is rather stiff and doesn't stay on my ears as well as I would like. Does anyone know a place to buy the ear guides from Canada at a reasonable price ($25 shipping on audeoworld.com) or can sell me theirs?

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #2,272 of 3,305
are you talking about the ear guides?

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2,274 of 3,305
Quote:
Just got my pfe 012 today. The sound is great, but the cord is rather stiff and doesn't stay on my ears as well as I would like. Does anyone know a place to buy the ear guides from Canada at a reasonable price ($25 shipping on audeoworld.com) or can sell me theirs?

Even if you slide up the chin slider?  I can't get these things off my head with the chin slider up and holding them in place...best slider I've ever used.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,277 of 3,305

Quote:

The chin slider do help but unless I slide it all the way up (which is uncomfortable) the wire still falls off my ear sometimes.

Do you get the silicone ear guides? They help a lot with my pair (without them the cable has a propensity to slip off my ears).

May 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2,279 of 3,305
Just received my PFE 012 and I'm very happy. Upgraded from some entry level Ultimate Ears and it was definitely worth the little extra money ($80 including shipping/tax.) Clarity, separation, sound stage, bass, and balance are all better comparatively. I'm curious about the other filters as in some songs the bass can seem overpowering a bit, but it seems perfect when listening to other songs. Overall I'm happy with the sound though and they are less fatiguing than the UE. The only thing I would want is for the the sound to be a little more smooth.

The fit is very comfortable for me (I have larger ears.) The insertion depth is shallower than on the UE, and it was a little weird when I first used the stem, but I'm liking it now. The cord below the split is very stiff which I like, but it seems like it has some memory. Microphonics are okay without the ear guides. Supposed to be less with those installed. Build quality seems decent as well. They're light and plastic, but don't feel like they're going to break or fall apart. 

I've only listened to a few things so far, but I've liked what I've heard. Thinking about getting some other filters and trying them out in the future, but for awhile I'll be a happy PFE owner!

May 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,280 of 3,305
For those out there who have a rockbox player, here are my PFE settings.  Might be a help to those looking into tweaking rockbox settings, or if you enjoy compulsively testing settings.  Anyways you can get an awesome sound out of the PFE's with Grey Filters.  You just have to force the bass out of them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506040/what-are-your-rockbox-setting/30#post_7453832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back