Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2,071 of 3,305
Alec: yes as long as you only touch the side of the filter (and not the filter itself) when removing it there shouldn't be any problem. Keep the dirty filter you can always try to clean it, i found out that stain removers work well for that
biggrin.gif

odigg: i just read your blog entry, great post! I didn't know you had the DT880 as well.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #2,073 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
odigg: i just read your blog entry, great post! I didn't know you had the DT880 as well.

The DT880 is gone
frown.gif
I used to use it as my "neutral" headphone but it got punched around quite a bit when I got the PFE. I still think the DT880 has the best soundstage I've heard of any headphone since it had a very 3D sound as opposed to many headphones that just sound really wide in a left/right sense.

I'm glad somebody actually read my blog entry! I guess it was one of those "Listen to the music, not your eqiupment" moments. Thanks for the compliment.

Alec E - I've found the PFE sounds great with an IPOD Nano. Amping didn't do much of anything. If you are going to get an amp I'd say just get a Fiio E5 or something inexpensive. I don't think it makes much sense to buy an amp that costs more than the headphone.

I agree with you that even without any EQ the bass of PFE w/greys is great. A lot of times I'm forced to listen without EQ (like right now via Pandora.com) and I'm still amazed by the sound and the quality/texture/details in the bass.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #2,074 of 3,305
Yeah the DT880 has a great soundstage, very immersive. But the treble peak was just unbearable for my ears. I was shocked too when i came to the conclusion that the PFEs were even more transparent
biggrin.gif

You may have a built in equalizer on your computer, i have one on my dell, it's very convenient (i can even check the real time frequency response graph).

As for amping the Headsix didn't to bring anything positive to the PFEs, neither does the s:flo 2 with its 40 mw/channel. And that's compared to the Sansa Clip headphone out.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2,075 of 3,305
Their bass "deficiency," if anyone's called it that, has so far meant only that I can make out lyrics and countless other details that I've previously missed, in albums to which I've listened dozens of times. The bass staying in its place may also be part of why I seem never to need a break from them. But I don't think that they have less bass than the UE TF10, with which I spent a year, to name one (much more expensive, at the time) example. I certainly needed breaks from the TF10 on occasion.

There are a couple of key albums for me with which they don't quite work, but there are several more that have never sounded right with anything other than closed headphones, but which I can now finally enjoy when out and about. I'm getting a flawless seal every time, and they never require any adjustment once I've got them in. More isolation than I'm getting now would be dangerous. I've nearly been mown down by cars a few times already.

Incidentally, SoundEarphones are erring on the side of generosity and sending me a new pair, should the problem with this current one be something that would recur. I was also impressed by Phonak's quick and thorough reply to my email this morning. Ultimate Ears (with whom I had half the warranty, at well over twice the price, as I have with Phonak) never replied to several emails requesting a replacement cord.

For balance, let me say this: I think the PFE is slightly ugly. But I don't care.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #2,076 of 3,305
For anyone thinking about getting the PFE's as an upgrade, I'd recommend them generally. As the 139 pages previously attest, they are technically very good (in my opinion not being an audiophile).

I tried them with just the iPod phone out - they were good, big jump up from the standards (can't ever believe I used them for so long). I needed more punch and did not think they were being driven hard enough so purchased the Fiio E5 amp - good upgrade, noticeable boost in the lower frequencies and more dynamic 'full' sound.

However, the PFEs failed on me twice (both times the right ear only put out 5-10% volume) and I sent them back. I thought i'd persevere and went back for a third pair (the latest version with thicker 'rubber' like cable) and at the same time, purchased a Graham Slee Voyager amp - Received both, paired them up with a iBasso line out docking cable and.....
atsmile.gif
Unbelievable difference!!

The sound stage could be described as narrow (no big deal if you don't care or appreciate it - but you soon will) but the seperation of instruments, accuracy of vocals and solid low frequency performance continues to amaze me. What was once just 'noise' is now clearly music as it should be heard

Just make sure if you rip your own CDs or records go from FLAC/APE to AAC - it really does make a big difference.

Unfortunately, I've had the right ear go yet again - it had me thinking though, previous pages mentioned moisture? They do go in my ears first thing in the morning on the way to work (after shower etc). They are working again so i'll see how they go.

The PFE's really are good - and thanks Head-Fi folks, I lurked on here for weeks before making a decision - time well spent.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2,077 of 3,305
Yeah the filters can get blocked easily by moisture if you sweat or your ears get wet somehow. Thats probably what happened to your other pairs too, who knows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #2,078 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by arjay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just make sure if you rip your own CDs or records go from FLAC/APE to AAC - it really does make a big difference....

....The PFE's really are good - and thanks Head-Fi folks, I lurked on here for weeks before making a decision - time well spent.

I pretty much made the same decision over a week ago, but have been to busy to actually sit down and order them...plus other IEM's keep catching my interest...some much more expensive than I really care to consider seriously.

I would be pairing them with a Sansa Fuze that I just purchased and am more than happy with its sound. I am hoping I won't need to use an amp.

I listen to a LOT of Jazz - 60's stuff mostly, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, early Herbie Handcock...when you only have 2 or 3 instruments NOT stepping on each others toes, I'm not sure you need or would welcome a huge soundstage...seems like that would be, well 'weird'. I mean, if you want to best listen to an orchestra, you would not sit down in the middle of it would you? No, I think you would like to be far enough away to catch the sounds hitting you from different areas, just not too far afield.

Anway, do you use the gray tips mostly?

I also hear that the PFE's are unforgiving of poor quality sound so I'll either use FLAC or more likely with this Fuze, 320kbps MP3's since the Fuze doesn't handle FLAC efficiently and drains the battery fast.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #2,079 of 3,305
I am a former pfe owner (v0) and the sansa fuze is fine for pfe, but you may need to turn vol to 70-80% if you like loud music. Also, I found the pfe to be quite listenable even on 128kb/s, although higher is better. Personally, I find the recording quality on many tracks to be more important than bitrate as long as bitrate is above around 192, using my mid-fi setup AD700- rhythmbox/fuze.

I have a question for v1 owners:
Have there been any housing cracking or cable hardening on the v1's? I am looking to buy some if their quality problems have been sorted. I saw a poster "flypenfly" who said he had some problems so I was worried. It seemed to be a microphone button issue but still, not confidence-inspiring.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2,080 of 3,305
I've had the PFE V1 since Audeo released them last November and have zero issues with them. The housing and wire are the same as the day I got them.

I listen to quite a bit of jazz and the PFE sounds fantastic with them. Even when there is a lot going on (musically) the PFE still sounds fantastic and can keep up without issue. As far as the soundstage, the smaller soundstage of IEMs gives jazz a lot more intimate feel than open full sized headphones like the DT880. IMHO jazz is supposed to have an intimate sound so this works well for the genre.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2,081 of 3,305
Does anyone else find that the foam tips (that you only get one pair of!) fatigue really quickly?

I have ordered a set of three from the US and am awaiting their delivery.

In the meantime I have been forced to use the silicone tips (medium) while I wait. Obviously these tips are far more hardly.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2,082 of 3,305
Also... I did a quick search on the forum and couldn't come up with anything.... Has anyone succesfully fitted custom tips to the Phonak PFE?

Is it possible? are they available?

The hifiheadphones site sleeves don't cover the Phonak range.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #2,083 of 3,305
Try washing them in hydrogen peroxide. Brings the life right back to them, and cleans off all the gunk.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #2,085 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by notewar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hows the bass on this IEM? Is it an ideal for Hip-pop or electro music?

Well that depends on what you think "ideal" bass sounds like. I think in stock form with grey filters there is not enough bass for electronic music or hip-hop. If you are willing to use an EQ then you can dial in all the bass you want and it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back