Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jan 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #2,011 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of my Sansa Clip/Clip+ they definitely need an amp to achieve acceptable volume levels, these players are just too quiet. Out of any Cowon I perceive no difference in sound quality, be it with or without a Headsix, Minibox, Fiio, iBasso, or whatever have you. Well, of course I perceive that the FiiO makes them sound worse in some aspects, but that's besides the point. At home they don't sound any different from the headphone-out of my Indigo, my AudioFire4, or straight from the jack on my stereo amp...

That's weird i only need about 50-60% volume with my Clip and black filters... maybe more with acoustic music but i never complained about volume issues.

On the other hand they sound quite a bit better out of my Vaio Pocket, thanks to the bigger and more layered soundstage. I'm surprised they sound the same out of Cowons. But i've never heard any Cowon...

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #2,012 of 3,305
If you have a Cowon (S9 or i9) a good bass-increasing solution for Phonaks is ViVA 2. Not 100% on this but from listening back and forth quite carefully it seems to be ViVA with a little M3B or bass boost on the lowest band. The mids and highs stay the same as ViVA and the ViVA sound stays put but the bass gets bigger.

Still currently prefer ViVA for all my phones with the S9 but did my commute with ViVA 2 and the PFE this morning and it's a great sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,014 of 3,305
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but since there are so many PFE owners in this thread...

Are there any cheaper alternatives for Comply foam tips for the PFE? The price of Comply's is outrageous. I already pay a rent to my landlord and I'm not interested in paying another rent to Comply.

Can someone please suggest cheap foam alternatives? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #2,015 of 3,305
There's not really anything that fits by default... but you can soak your Comply luxury foamies in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution for several minutes, then rinse/squeeze them under water. That cleans them perfectly well. You can get the H2O2 bleach in any drugstore.

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2,016 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by katabatik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but since there are so many PFE owners in this thread...

Are there any cheaper alternatives for Comply foam tips for the PFE? The price of Comply's is outrageous. I already pay a rent to my landlord and I'm not interested to pay another rent to Comply.

Can someone please suggest cheap foam alternatives? Thanks.

If you like, you can make your own at mostly no cost.
This show how on SE530 but can very likely be applied to pfe as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...o-pics-383917/

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2,017 of 3,305
I'll certainly try it. You can get 100 pairs of regular noise blocking foams for less than the cost of 3 pairs of Complys. Just go to a safety equipment supplier. They sell them by the hundreds. It's very cheap.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2,019 of 3,305
I just made my own foams and they isolate as well as Comply's and are more comfortable.

I used EarSoft FX ear plugs. They are made for wear in noisy industries and have a very high SNR at all frequencies. I use them when I go camping and they are comfortable enough to wear all night and isolate very well. They are very soft (softer than Comply) and easy to cut and perforate.

The best part is that they are very cheap. If you can't find them where you live, you can pick 30 pairs on eBay for £3.99 + shipping.

As dfkt says: screw those greedy bulllies at Comply!

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #2,020 of 3,305
PFE has very short stem. pure foam will not stay on it, you might need to glue it to some semi elastic tube that has internal diameter about 1/8 inch. I haven't try it yet, maybe some online hobby shop carry such tube.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #2,022 of 3,305
My new phonaks arrived today! Yay. I like the new cable and packaging.

Anyway I've owned these before but now I'm an evil iPhone user, I was wondering if many people use the grey filter with the iPhone/iPod bass boost EQ on? I used to own these with my old Samsung P3 which had an excellent bass boost feature. The iPhone bass boost eq is not so great. I've dropped the gain of all my mp3s to 89db so it doesn't clip when EQ'd. I find I miss the treble extension if I use the black filters.

I gave the black filter / acoustic eq a quick try and thought it sounded decent, but it's been so long since I've used a decent bass boost...

The fiio e1 adds very little bass. Besides I don't really want to amp it because them because then the button and mic are useless.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2,023 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFE has very short stem. pure foam will not stay on it

It does if you pierce a hole small enough. The hole I made is so small that you can't see it unless you pull both sides of the foam. You have to force the foam a bit in order to fit it on the stem, but it will stay on. BTW, I used a 2 mm puncher to pierce the foam. I just pierced it, I did not remove any foam.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #2,025 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smells like this: A Day with the Phonak Audéo Team

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. This part is interesting:

"The photo shows that the thoughtfully engineered PFE tips manage to get more than 2 kHz higher treble response from any phone, not just the ones they’re intended to be used with. It’s all about filters, resonance, and sound tubes for armature IEMs"

I just wish those Phonak silicone tips didn't pull off so easily and get stuck in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back