Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Dec 26, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #1,966 of 3,305
Get some Shure Olives instead, they sound great and are very durable (i've used the same pair for one year!). They just need to be a bit stretched to fit in.
The black filters are just flatter and smoother i'd say, i can't say i miss the extra treble sparkle delivered the grey ones anymore. You can boost the bass with the E5 but that certainly won't be as neutral as the black filters (more Gradoish maybe?).

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,967 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some Shure Olives instead, they sound great and are very durable (i've used the same pair for one year!).

X2. I can't say from personal experience with the PFEs, but with other earphones, the Shure Olives are awesome. And I too have been using the same pair for a year. Best foam tips out there in my opinion.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #1,971 of 3,305
I've gone back to the silicone tips after using the Comply a while and the Complies definitely mask a little of the higher range clarity. I also finally tried the large silicone tips after using only mediums and immediately found a better seal and better bass performance. With an amp and a good seal I'm actually really happy with the bass performance. They might lack the impact a true basshead would want, but they are quite balanced with the black tips, and don't sound bright at all. I was thinking about getting another pair of IEM to compliment them for trance and dubstep where a little more bass and warmer sound signature would be welcome, any recommendations? I was thinking the IE8 or for a cheaper solution the CKS-70.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #1,972 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone back to the silicone tips after using the Comply a while and the Complies definitely mask a little of the higher range clarity. I also finally tried the large silicone tips after using only mediums and immediately found a better seal and better bass performance. With an amp and a good seal I'm actually really happy with the bass performance. They might lack the impact a true basshead would want, but they are quite balanced with the black tips, and don't sound bright at all. I was thinking about getting another pair of IEM to compliment them for trance and dubstep where a little more bass and warmer sound signature would be welcome, any recommendations? I was thinking the IE8 or for a cheaper solution the CKS-70.

I've tried most of the top-tier IEMs except for the IE8 and the Westone 3 and it sounds like the IE8 would be the only way to go. The PFE has much more bass and impact, esp. with the black filters, than the UM3x, TF10 and SE530. If you get the CSK-70 I'd be interested in seeing how they compare.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #1,973 of 3,305
Woah hold it there. The PFE is no doubtfully quick, accurate and the impact is very punchy. But even with my desktop amp the PFE's don't have "more bass". Power wise, they just don't stand up to the UM3X, TF10 and Se530. That little Sonion driver in the PFE just doesn't produce the power that the Low freq drivers of the top tiers present.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,974 of 3,305
^^^ Agreed
smily_headphones1.gif
PFE's bass cannot beat the UM3X's bass in term of quantity, especially the mid bass - low mid. Both IEMs have totally different sound-signature. Anyway, I still found it impressive, that the PFE's bass is quite well extended to sub-bass, and the 5Hz-17kHz frequency response seem to be true.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,975 of 3,305
Can anyone comment whether they find the PFEs more comfortable to wear than an ER4Ps ?

I use my PFEs with Complys and without a gray or a black filter (I think it makes the sound considerably 'clearer' rather than attenuating select frequencies like the filters do), but have been recently considering an ER4P instead what with it being such an audiophile staple and all.

Unfortunately here in the UK I can't just try it instore to test for myself, so have to make do with the impressions of others.

Thanks !

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #1,976 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by _azoth_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment whether they find the PFEs more comfortable to wear than an ER4Ps ?

I find the PFE to be more comfortable than ER4P/S. I use a modified silicone triple flange from my ER4P on both IEMs most often. I also use yellow Shure foamies and the stock black foamies on ER4P which increase the comfort but kill some details for me.

The biggest factor might be how the ER4 fits much deeper which can be a problem for some people. The PFE can only go so deep...which tripped me up at first.

If you used foam tips with ER4P you should get nearly equal comfort compared to PFE. What could be most different is the cable routing and microphonics with ER4P. The ER4 also don't look as nice in use.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #1,977 of 3,305
I'm looking on amazon for shure olives to replace the silicon ones but there are a couple of olives...which should I get?

Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones

Replacement Sleeves EABKF1-10s (Small) for E3C*, E4C*, E5C*, E500PTH*, 13C* and 14C*

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #1,978 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosin19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking on amazon for shure olives to replace the silicon ones but there are a couple of olives...which should I get?

Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones

Replacement Sleeves EABKF1-10s (Small) for E3C*, E4C*, E5C*, E500PTH*, 13C* and 14C*

The stock PFE silicones are small, med & large. Match whichever size you currently use. Why are you replacing? I gave up on the stock silicone tips because they always ended up getting stuck in my ears. I now use Etymotic triple flange(modded to bi-flange).

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,979 of 3,305
I guess I am confused. It looks to me like there are two different types of shure olives out there...not just the different sizes.

My problem is that the large silicon ones that comes with the PFEs keep falling out, but the comply med size that came with the PFEs seemed to fit fine..

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #1,980 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosin19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I am confused. It looks to me like there are two different types of shure olives out there...not just the different sizes.

My problem is that the large silicon ones that comes with the PFEs keep falling out, but the comply med size that came with the PFEs seemed to fit fine..

If the fitting of medium Comply is fine but at the loose side, try medium black foam, I bought 15 pair which is way too much, I can send you a pair for 4 dollars to try out IF you are in USA. just pm me with necessary information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back