Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Dec 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #1,951 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When they break lol.

Given the filters sit deep inside the sound tube I doubt they will ever break. But I can imagine that they might get clogged with ear wax over time. I wonder though whether that will happen that fast. I rather hope no ear wax will ever reache the filters if I keep my tips always clean.

FRAC

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,952 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRAC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the filters sit deep inside the sound tube I doubt they will ever break. But I can imagine that they might get clogged with ear wax over time. I wonder though whether that will happen that fast. I rather hope no ear wax will ever reache the filters if I keep my tips always clean.

FRAC

I don't clean my tips very often (2 times per week) and honestly I have to say that never got filter clogged. I'd say that one filter can run about 6-12 months

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #1,953 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't clean my tips very often (2 times per week) and honestly I have to say that never got filter clogged. I'd say that one filter can run about 6-12 months

Thanks, piotrus-g! That sounds good ans is much closer to my expectations.

FRAC

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #1,954 of 3,305
I got my replacement back, PFE 112 V1 just couple of hours ago. Actually, they were delivered to my office, but I was on leave for a week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Almost identical to my PFE 112V0 several months ago, and with much longer and rubbery cables. I put modded triple flanges which I used for my UM3Xs, and played my favorites songs through D10. Very similar sound signature to the V0. Ok, I'll leave it for burn-in several more hours.

I tried to use my custom sleeves, but, the silicone tubes were hardened and not successfully to insert the IEM's nozzles into it. So, I tried without the tubes, and the high end clarity seem to be less than modded triple flanges. I need find new silicone tubes, which are easier to expand, if I want to use the custom sleeves again.

Now, I am using my USD 500 custom IEMs, Unique Melody Mages.
smily_headphones1.gif
... Ok, sad to say, the PFE 112 V1 cannot compete with my Mages
smily_headphones1.gif
, in term of bass quantity, low end and high end extensions. PFE's mid/vocal is more forward with lesser sparkle and . It seem unfair to compare PFEs with quad BA drivers custom IEMs, but, the PFE's performance is very good, if they being adequately ampped.

Again, PFEs are a very good choice for those who love clarity and vocal. When they are powered by amp with warm sound signature or bass-boost feature, you may get more 'fun' sound.

Thank you...

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #1,955 of 3,305
Quad BA drivers eh, nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I couldn't agree more about clarity. I feel the PFEs can match my Stax for clarity. Plus they're sooo smooth. I suspect stats are much better for dynamics and separation but the smoothness of armatures is like a drug for my ears.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,956 of 3,305
I wasn't going to say anything because I don't think I qualify but I figure maybe I should. I think the Headphonia Caffeine Ultra is a pretty good amp to go with the PFEs. When I first got my Fiio E5 for a little while I wondered why I paid more for the Caffeine but then I went back and forth with some better music and it was very clear to me. The Fiio E5 is still a nice improvement but I try to use it only as a back up when the battery in my Caffeine dies. I'm really interested if anyone else has tried this combo.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #1,957 of 3,305
Just got my replacement PFEs back. MY GOSHdid I forget how amazing they sounded since my other IEM purchases. They easily are on par or better than triple driver phones!

I'm really wondering when Phonak will get into making customs, they have been gaining traction and Phonak has state-of-the-art equipment to deal with it seeing as they are a high-end hearing aid company. I mean, they have hearing aids that connect to your phone and other devices.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #1,958 of 3,305
Anyone know of a site that has the PFE 122 black revision 1/2 headphones in stock? I guess they are backordered on the audeo site, and would like to see if there is a place to get them at, otherwise I'll wait, as I want my microphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,962 of 3,305
Thought I'd add my appreciation to this list.

I've had these for a while, the V0, and a couple of months back one wire started cutting out. I sent them back and Phonak UK asked me to wait to their V1 to reach the UK for a replacement.... it's been a loooooonnng wait with delay after delay (to be fair to Phonak UK their communication was good throughout) but the V1 with their nice matt cables have arrived.

A lot happened since these went - I've fallen in love with the ATH-M50, I've got myself HD650 and have been falling steadily under their spell. I really wasn't sure if I'd love these as much as I used to when they came back.

I was wrong.

These are every bit as harmonious and smooth as I remember with that amazing clarity.

The one good thing about these being away so long is I get to fall in love with them all over again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,963 of 3,305
I got the PFE's after some consideration and have been enjoying them quite a bit. Started off with black filters and medium silicone tips, and my initial impressions were that they were a little bright, but very enjoyable. Then I switched to Comply tips, and the bass sounded a better and overall it seemed more balanced, and of course the sound isolation was a little better. Have been trying the grey filters (which were noticeably louder?), but I think I'll go back to the blacks. Have an E5 on the way, and will probably get a nicer amp at some point, but for now I'm being cheap

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #1,964 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I'd add my appreciation to this list.

~

The one good thing about these being away so long is I get to fall in love with them all over again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great story. Join the club.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have been trying the grey filters (which were noticeably louder?)

From what I can tell looking at the graph, the black filter dumbs down the mids a bit so the grey might seem louder. I prefer the grey.

pfe-graph.png

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #1,965 of 3,305
Yeah switching from black to grey, the black feels less dynamic but the bass seems slightly more forward (due to the mid/highs being a little more recessed and me needing to turn the volume up to compensate). I'll probably stick with the grey and hope the E5's give a little more bass but if not then no biggie.

Where's the cheapest place to get replacement Comply tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back