Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #1,501 of 3,308
The main difference I find when using the PFE with my Fiio E5 is that the sound becomes fuller. I prefer this to the "thin" sound I get unamped. I think a lot of this warmth comes from the E5 and the fact that I have the bass boost enabled. I think the synergy is great. I notice an improvement with my iBasso D3, but I prefer the warmth and fullness the E5 gives to the PFE.

I'd like to find an amp that does what the E5 does for the PFE, but better. I am thinking the Minibox-E+ might be a good choice with it's bass boost option. The T4 is getting good reviews, but I am really satisfied with the sound and size of the E5/PFE combo.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #1,502 of 3,308
Just got my pfe's yesterday, I absolutely love them, can't wait for my Fiio e5 amp so i can try them with the pfe. It is much more clear than the turbines i also have, and the mids are great, vocals are awesome with the pfes. However the bass is lacking a bit. Changing them to the black filters ups the bass a bit, but detail is also lost. I use them with the stock medium tips and they fit perfectly and are very comfortable. I think i'm sticking with the grey filters, so that i can have two very different sounding headphones, with the turbines for bass heavy music, and the pfes for other types of music. I am happy with these two iems, as together, they are able to cover the range of music genres i listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just crossing my fingers on the pfe defect issue, since mine is from a batch that has had issues. I'm from Canada, so getting a replacement will be a bitch.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #1,503 of 3,308
mobaddict, you may want to buy tstarn06 Minibox. he's selling it right now. i told him before to give me PM when he dicides to sell it but he didn't (LOL). I just saw it today in the Amp FS section.

ckhirnigs113, for me the bass boost of the E5 when turned on makes the sound fuller but a bit uncoordinated, somewhat muddy and more fatiguing to my ears. so i leave them off. my PFE with gray filters and Shure olives is just very nice. the vocals are pristine, reverb is great, clarity is unbelievable, soundstage is good but can be improved, bass is fast, deep, well-controlled and tight, impact can be improved.

insanesanctum, congrats to your new found friend and hope you could also join Team Phonak.i'm not a fanatic but the PFE just deserves a high praise for such a great performance/price ratio.

i'm planning to buy a T4 but still looking in the FS forum in case one will come out.i had a good deal already but it went unsuccessful. not so sure if the seller will respond favorably tomorrow.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #1,504 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by insanesanctum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Changing them to the black filters ups the bass a bit, but detail is also lost.

That point annoys me about my PFE. I have 8 black filters but only 2 gray that came with the earphones. You would think the filter box would have at least 2 gray filters.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #1,505 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main difference I find when using the PFE with my Fiio E5 is that the sound becomes fuller. I prefer this to the "thin" sound I get unamped. I think a lot of this warmth comes from the E5 and the fact that I have the bass boost enabled.

I had that combo for a very short time and totally agree that they sounded 'thin' unamped. I couldn't enjoy them at all unless I EQ'd the hell out of my Sony dap. The E5 added some body to them which made them sound almost totally different. But unamped? I'd rather eat glass
atsmile.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #1,506 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That point annoys me about my PFE. I have 8 black filters but only 2 gray that came with the earphones. You would think the filter box would have at least 2 gray filters.

Eh? Mine came with 4 black filters, 2 grey filters in the filter box and another 2 grey filters fitted... you got 8 blacks? thats weird!

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #1,507 of 3,308
I realllllly want to get the PFE or the Turbines but recently a lot of people haven't been too satisfied with their turbines and also I'm not a fan of monster.

But the PFEs sound like they might not be fun for the genres I like such as hip hop, indie rock, electronic and would be lacking in bass (which I do want). Also I would have to spend another 20 bucks on an E5 and PFE's cost more themselves. While the turbines can be had for 100.
The PFEs seem like they might be too analytical. I just want something fun with good detail (not world class) and good bass (I do like bass, but I dont think i'm a hardcore basshead, maybe a somewhat basshead haha).

What you guys recommend? Spend the extra money on the PFE's + E5 or just get the turbines? More people seem to enjoy the PFE's while there are quite a few people who are unsatisfied with the turbines. Or is there any other headphone out there in the 150 dollar price range (and I would prefer unamped) that I should be looking at?

Source : iPod 2g Nano (8gb)

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,508 of 3,308
I'd probably go with the Turbines in your case, reason being:

1) The bass from the Turbines will most likely satisfy you more, since you said you'd like good amount of bass. Especially for those genres.
2) You already have a naturally less bass-emphasizing player in the Nano.
3) It seems like you would prefer it unamped, in which case Turbines would be more efficient. E5 would be fine for PFE's, but it'll still add to the overall cost being more than the Turbines.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #1,509 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that combo for a very short time and totally agree that they sounded 'thin' unamped. I couldn't enjoy them at all unless I EQ'd the hell out of my Sony dap. The E5 added some body to them which made them sound almost totally different. But unamped? I'd rather eat glass
atsmile.gif

Hopefully the glass isn't leaded, talk about double trouble! I didn't think they sounded 'thin' from the Fuze, but with an amp they did sound better and more spacious. Actually, with the black filters I didn't think they sounded thin unless compared to a warm headphone. My dig at them was the volume level required and that you had to settle between the better detail with the grey filters and less bass or great balance and lower detail. But still great sound for the price IMO.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #1,510 of 3,308
X2. Always a fan of the PFEs with an amp, but without an amp they sounded okay if I used black filters and the bass booster on the Touch (but only on certain tracks). I too had volume issues with them on two of my four DAPs (Clip and Sony), while the Zune and Touch powered them more efficiently.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,511 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by KitarP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realllllly want to get the PFE or the Turbines but recently a lot of people haven't been too satisfied with their turbines and also I'm not a fan of monster.

But the PFEs sound like they might not be fun for the genres I like such as hip hop, indie rock, electronic and would be lacking in bass (which I do want). Also I would have to spend another 20 bucks on an E5 and PFE's cost more themselves. While the turbines can be had for 100.
The PFEs seem like they might be too analytical. I just want something fun with good detail (not world class) and good bass (I do like bass, but I dont think i'm a hardcore basshead, maybe a somewhat basshead haha).

What you guys recommend? Spend the extra money on the PFE's + E5 or just get the turbines? More people seem to enjoy the PFE's while there are quite a few people who are unsatisfied with the turbines. Or is there any other headphone out there in the 150 dollar price range (and I would prefer unamped) that I should be looking at?

Source : iPod 2g Nano (8gb)

x2 for going with turbines, I listen to a wide variety of music, and with the genres of music that you listen to, i would go with the turbines, they go great with hip hop and electronic, when i listen to these types of music with my turbines, its just amazing
smily_headphones1.gif
. Other types of music however, i stick with my pfes as the bass on the turbines can be a bit overwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back