Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 18, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,411 of 3,305
tstarn06, why suddenly you sold your PFE?! I thought it would never happen to you. Yeah I know you love your W3 more than the PFE but you said their value/performance ratio is unbeatable and that it will never be in your FS item in the future (if I remember it correctly). If I should say it, you are one of the hfiers who said so much good things about the PFE. No doubt about it also as I could also attest to that...but why?

May 18, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #1,412 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some new small shure olives, big difference
biggrin.gif

love my PFE's now

Ever since I was "hooked" with the olives, there's been nothing like them. I even prefer them over the large comply foams for bass response and isolation. Phonak should really offer these as an option.

May 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #1,413 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrazmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, why suddenly you sold your PFE?! I thought it would never happen to you. Yeah I know you love your W3 more than the PFE but you said their value/performance ratio is unbeatable and that it will never be in your FS item in the future (if I remember it correctly). If I should say it, you are one of the hfiers who said so much good things about the PFE. No doubt about it also as I could also attest to that...but why?

Well, I came to the realization that today's economy dictates certain moves, and having a $100+ pair of IEMs sitting in my house with very limited use just wasn't a good idea. I guess the lesson is never say never. I still regard them very highly, and for anyone buying in that price range, they are a steal. But another consideration is having to amp them, as I only used them amped, and I may sell off my amps as well. I am trying to simplify my life, and it wasn't worth selling off my low-price phones (ADDIEMs, for example) or the expensive Klipsch X10 (now belong to my wife), so I had to start someplace. Also, I am thinking about taking the cash from the sale of the PFEs and amps and trying out the UM3X, which are touted as a better PFE (clarity, balance, you know the drill). If that turns out to be true, I will be down to a single IEM (will still use the ADDIEMs with my Touch).

So yes, I am selling them. But not because I think any less of them. Sometimes, you have to be pragmatic.

May 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,414 of 3,305
Eventhough, I want to buy the UM3X this month (hopefully), I still want to keep the PFEs as a backup IEMs. iBasso D10, still remain in my possession because, I don't have any better reference sound source, and I already hooked with it's sound
smily_headphones1.gif

tstarn06
Anyway, thanks for your supports and contributions to PFEs community. BTW, I heard that Sony X1000 series DAP has a quite powerful audio output, and I think it is able to drive PFEs adequately.

May 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #1,415 of 3,305
Read about the Sony DAP, but the wifi/browser sucks, and I like my Touch for that, so I will wait and see if Sony releases more DAPs without the iPod Touch wanna be hardware. I have a Sony A818, and it's good enough for now. Believe me, I hated to let go of the PFEs, but as backup, I have several options. Plus, I am not worried about backups, since I have a two-year Westone warranty. And if I miss the Phonaks too much, I can always rebuy the newer iteration coming out in the next few months. Always that option.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. I am not going anywhere (at least not planning on it), and will still be a major proponent of the PFEs for anyone looking to spend around $130 for a new IEM.

May 18, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #1,416 of 3,305
I'd like to echo bhaktiar too...it was in part reading yr posts, tsarn06, that made me even think about trying Phonaks. Cheers! They should come today, btw. Should be interesting
biggrin.gif

And on the listening thing. Thx for your reply - I kinda thought you may have meant that in yr post. Wasn't a dig at you (reading my post back this morning, hope it didn't read that way) just wondered if we all meant the same thing when we say we ' listen' to music for such long periods. EDIT\ whoops, wrong thread for that! Will repost, lol.

May 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #1,417 of 3,305
Where i can find the pfe's for the lowest price?

May 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,418 of 3,305
Quote:

do you guys find yourself using the plastic ear guides?

I found them to be annoying and took them off

I only use the guides when I'm exercising/ walking long distances to protect the cables from sweat. At home I don't bother.

May 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #1,419 of 3,305
Just got some for my birthday! They will be in tomorrow or Wednesday.

May 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,420 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I came to the realization that today's economy dictates certain moves, and having a $100+ pair of IEMs sitting in my house with very limited use just wasn't a good idea. I guess the lesson is never say never. I still regard them very highly, and for anyone buying in that price range, they are a steal. But another consideration is having to amp them, as I only used them amped, and I may sell off my amps as well. I am trying to simplify my life, and it wasn't worth selling off my low-price phones (ADDIEMs, for example) or the expensive Klipsch X10 (now belong to my wife), so I had to start someplace. Also, I am thinking about taking the cash from the sale of the PFEs and amps and trying out the UM3X, which are touted as a better PFE (clarity, balance, you know the drill). If that turns out to be true, I will be down to a single IEM (will still use the ADDIEMs with my Touch).

So yes, I am selling them. But not because I think any less of them. Sometimes, you have to be pragmatic.

Makes sense to me. When I get UE11s, I may sell my PFEs. I will probably keep them though.

They are not the best IEM out there, but the are truly giant killers.

I would fear that the UM3X has soft laid back highs (sennheisser like) which is the whole reason I liked the Etys and PFEs and UE11s over ES3X - other than that the UM3X seems to be a step up from the W3s in other areas, so I look forward to impressions.

Also, in that same price range, you may consider the new UE IEMs that are coming out. They are customs.

May 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,421 of 3,305
I saw those, the UE 4Pro. Dual drivers. $399. I just don't want to get customs right now. I don't see where the UM3X highs are too laid back, but I could be wrong. Sticking with the W3s for now. Also, as I noted, who knows what upgraded Phonak product will hit the market? I just felt it was a shame to have the PFEs sittnig there, hanging all alone, so I figured I would pass along their excellent sound to a fellow Head-Fi'er (who happens to live in Poland and is having a hard time getting the PFEs).

I would never diss the PFEs, they are no doubt one of the best, if not the best, values in IEMs.

May 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #1,422 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiranV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where i can find the pfe's for the lowest price?

In the FS forum, if you can find them. I've had 5 prospective buyers for my white pair (uncracked, of course). The price is the price, unless you can get the discount coupon of 10 percent off at Audeo World site.

May 19, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #1,424 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's very sad to hear that your PFE is leaving you soon. But no doubt, you have been one of those motivators that made me plunge to the PFE fun...Thank you for all the professional insights about the PFE that you've shared to the growing community of PFE users. Btw, if you may sell your amps, please don't forget to give me a PM. I may buy one of those specially the MBE+ :) Sigh! Being a headfier is a bittersweet thing. Cheers to you tstarn06!

May 19, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #1,425 of 3,305
Quote:

I just got some new small shure olives, big difference
biggrin.gif

love my PFE's now

Same Here!!!
ksc75smile.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread