Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #1,396 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit-wise, I also felt the PFEs on occasion would feel loose and didn't isolate as well as the Westones, which is critical for my listening purposes. I just like to seal out the world when I listen to IEMs.

True true, the isolation is not as good as a westone or a shure. I have noticed that, but I am hoping that I can find that special earpiece that will eliminate the issue.

Off-topic: which IEM sets the standard for isolation?

May 16, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #1,397 of 3,305
Well, the Ety ER4P/S is one, since I also once owned it, but it's not always comfy. The Shure SE530 is pretty good, I have read, as is the UE TF10 (also read that). To me, the Westone 3 with the tri-flanges is on the same level.

Oh, you can get custom sleeves made for the PFEs (I saw someone did). But about the best off the shelf tip you can use for the PFE is the Comply T130, in my view.

May 16, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #1,398 of 3,305
Shure olive also good for PFE. it bring up the bass of PFE. I like gray filter + olive combo

May 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #1,399 of 3,305
W3s are also like 300x the price or something right!?
Changing filters is scary at first, it closely resembles open hard surgery. But I've changed mine about 10 - 12 times (because I'm weird) and in all that time I broke one filter. They are very small though, but the little tool that comes works quite well.
I personally have found the PFEs don't beg for an amp. Not that I own a good one, so you know. They're not super loud, but I actually prefer the sound plugged straight into my P3 or Clip. Sometimes I use a P3 - Fiio E3 - Impedance Adapter - Phonak combo, which I believe brings out the mids a bit more (makes them warmer and buttery) but it may just be the extra impedance squashing the tiny bit of E3s hiss that passes off as a quality improver.
Its not like my KSC75s that definitely sound better amped.

May 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #1,400 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure olive also good for PFE. it bring up the bass of PFE. I like gray filter + olive combo

Does Olive fit the PFE nozzle as is or require modification? Thanks so much.

May 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,401 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by kajohndet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Olive fit the PFE nozzle as is or require modification? Thanks so much.

i managed to "squeeze" the shure olives in. you can use a pencil to "widen" the hole abit.

May 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,403 of 3,305
I paid $260 for the W3s (via some hefty MS Live Cashback and Paypal discounts) and about $100 for the PFEs (through Amazon third party seller, but they were NIB). The MSRP for the Westones is $399 and $139 for the PFEs (non-ipod), so no, not 300x the price.

Glad the PFEs are enough without an amp for you, that saves you $$$. For me, they are so much better with a decent amp (T4 for example), that I could not really go back to using them sans amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3s are also like 300x the price or something right!?
Changing filters is scary at first, it closely resembles open hard surgery. But I've changed mine about 10 - 12 times (because I'm weird) and in all that time I broke one filter. They are very small though, but the little tool that comes works quite well.
I personally have found the PFEs don't beg for an amp. Not that I own a good one, so you know. They're not super loud, but I actually prefer the sound plugged straight into my P3 or Clip. Sometimes I use a P3 - Fiio E3 - Impedance Adapter - Phonak combo, which I believe brings out the mids a bit more (makes them warmer and buttery) but it may just be the extra impedance squashing the tiny bit of E3s hiss that passes off as a quality improver.
Its not like my KSC75s that definitely sound better amped.

May 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #1,404 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid $260 for the W3s (via some hefty MS Live Cashback and Paypal discounts) and about $100 for the PFEs (through Amazon third party seller, but they were NIB). The MSRP for the Westones is $399 and $139 for the PFEs (non-ipod), so no, not 300x the price.

Glad the PFEs are enough without an amp for you, that saves you $$$. For me, they are so much better with a decent amp (T4 for example), that I could not really go back to using them sans amp.

Man, you got some bargains...! Well done.

I am in the very slow process of building my cmoy, which will hopefully give me my first taste of a halfway decent portable amp (better than my Fiio anyway) Mind you both my players (Sammy P3 and Clip) have relatively strong amps compared to some players. But I know there is more sound-love to be had with a decent amp setup.

May 17, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,406 of 3,305
I use mine.

I think I'm the only one so far whose cable hasn't even stiffened up yet.

May 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #1,407 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, you got some bargains...! Well done.

I am in the very slow process of building my cmoy, which will hopefully give me my first taste of a halfway decent portable amp (better than my Fiio anyway) Mind you both my players (Sammy P3 and Clip) have relatively strong amps compared to some players. But I know there is more sound-love to be had with a decent amp setup.

When you do (build that amp), if it's pretty good, you will appreciate the PFEs even more.

Yes, I did get pretty lucky with both of those purchases. Best of all, my wife paid for the Westones!

May 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #1,408 of 3,305
Well, my PFE's, which have cracks, will be sent back to Hören mit fiebing, tomorrow. I've decided to give the PFE another chance. When listening to them without filters, I really like the sound. So, I won't get a refund, but a replacement.
I've got white PFE's, but will be receiving a black replacement. I really wanted the black one, but Hören mit Fiebing didn't sell black PFE's, back then. Oh well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: But there's still a problem. I'd like to have more isolation. Which tips have the most isolation? Ety/Shure triflanges, Shure olives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back