Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 7, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #1,321 of 3,305
Kloan, you are in the small minority, it's pretty obvious. Not much the people who do really like the PFEs can do but shrug their shoulders and move on. I can't believe that you would not be impressed listening to them with the T4 or MBE, as I described them. Flat? Lifeless? Maybe you just like a colored IEM. You seem to rate them higher than the ADDIEMs, which many HFers also like (for the price to performance), yet call them flat and lifeless. Don't be too shocked by the praise the PFEs have received in six months on the market, because those who like them are not a bunch of neophytes.

THey scale up incredibly well, and you have yet to hear them under optimum listening conditions is all I can figure. I've been a major proponent of amping the PFEs from the start. Just the way I prefer them.

May 7, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,323 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried out the set my mom ordered.... I can't believe all of the praise in this thread.

I thought they sounded flat and lifeless. Black filters veiled the mids and made the highs slightly sharp. Very thin sound with a good seal. Bass is comparative to the ADDIEMs, and I would give a slight edge to the FPEs in overall sound quality compared to the ADDIEMs, but overall I am not impressed. Neither was my mom....

I know this is an appreciation thread, but I don't appreciate them one bit.

On their own, 'fail'. Amped, as many point out these get better.. but I'm without a decent amp, so I can't comment on that.

it is the flatness and coldness that I love PFE. i never like earphone that enhance bass too much I want whole music not just bass. I also have IE7 i love the sound stage and its bass (strong enough but never will ruin the music). however it added a bit more warmness to the sound than I want.

I don't know what source you use. I have Nokia 5800XM and I found E5 does not give much enhancement as the phone seems to be pushing the earphone just fine(need higher volume than IE7). 5800XM also has cold and flat sound that let music sounds like what it meant to be.

too bad PFE is not for you. maybe try different tip and filter combination. if you still don't like it. return it or sell it and look for IEM that alter the music.

May 7, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #1,324 of 3,305
Quote:

Very thin sound with a good seal.

That's exactly how I felt about them. Maybe what sounds 'thin' to one person sounds 'full' to someone else??

Quote:

On their own, 'fail'.

Agreed!

Quote:

Amped, as many point out these get better.. but I'm without a decent amp, so I can't comment on that.

They really do sound totally different with an amp, even the cheap FiiO E5 gives it some added warmth and body. But I really didn't like them unamped at all, and you described the same sound I heard.

May 7, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #1,325 of 3,305
Almost have to buy the PFEs with an amp in mind, in fact. And the better the amp (warm is best), the better they sound. I went back and listened to a track with the MBE, and thin is not a word that would come to mind. Norah Jones singing One Flight Down was really sublime.

May 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,326 of 3,305
Quote:

I just tried out the set my mom ordered.... I can't believe all of the praise in this thread.

I thought they sounded flat and lifeless. Black filters veiled the mids and made the highs slightly sharp. Very thin sound with a good seal. Bass is comparative to the ADDIEMs, and I would give a slight edge to the FPEs in overall sound quality compared to the ADDIEMs, but overall I am not impressed. Neither was my mom....

On their own, 'fail'. Amped, as many point out these get better.. but I'm without a decent amp, so I can't comment on that.

In conclusion, buy your mom an iBasso T4 for Mother's Day.

May 7, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #1,327 of 3,305
Quote:

The PFE will sound just like whatever your source and amp sound like. I find them to be a tremendous value and I listen to them more than I do my IE8 (which I keep just for comparisons and reviews). Of course I do have great sources and amps.

May 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #1,328 of 3,305
So, thanks to tsarn, I should have some new tips soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, next on my list are a decent LOD and the FiiO E5...

Anyone know where I can procure both for under 40$ ? (inc. shipping to India)

edit: im seriously thinking of skipping the LOD, if I use the included 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect which comes bundled with the E5, how much sound degradation should I expect? this is with reference to 'fun' listening, not critical.

May 7, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #1,330 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had the silicone tips get stuck in your ear yet?

This hasn't ever happened to me. I find the tips to seal perfectly, and they come out of my ears with a a slight twist and pulling motion. Though, I have never had a tip come off in my ear on any IEM I've owned.

I recently started wearing the PFE's straight down instead of over the ear. This is probably not the intended angle for the driver, but I find the comfort better this way. The body of the phones is just a little too long and pokes my ear just enough to become bothersome.

They sent me an RMA number if I want to return them for a refund, but I still can't decide. I don't know if the UM3X will be worth over $200 more than these. I still have a few days to decide. If worse comes to worse, I could always re-buy the PFE if the UM3X isn't worth the money. Is there a vendor that sells the Westone's without a restocking fee?

May 7, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #1,331 of 3,305
Quote:

kloan-
I totally had the same results as you did. So don't worry about the flak you'll take about being in the 'minority'. I guess I'll join you there as one of the 'few' who are outside the 'majority'. Unamped, I too found them precisely as you describe them. It's good you spoke your mind and don't worry if it's in an appreciation thread. Every earphone has critical opinions in its appreciation thread.

May 7, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #1,332 of 3,305
Well I guess it's a shame I gave away my E5 with the NuForce I sold recently, lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose I could try em out with my cmoy, but they weren't for me regardless. I recommended them to my mom after reading all of the praise in here. Unfortunately, she came to the same conclusions I did, unamped they just sounded like something was missing. Using an amp isn't something my mom wants to do, so the search continues for her... it's a shame her budget is so limited, because I have a feeling the UM3X would be her cup of tea (and mine!!).

Personally, I'm happy to continue using my Triple.Fi for the time being until I can upgrade to the UM3X.

May 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #1,333 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I can procure both for under 40$ ? (inc. shipping to India)

Try this ... cheap USD 15
iBasso

May 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #1,334 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this ... cheap USD 15
iBasso

that has IC port, so if i use e5 interconnect will it be fine?

I found iBasso doesn't ship to India,

anyway this looks similar New line out dock with stereo jack for iphone ipod nano - eBay (item 280342048445 end time May-14-09 22:29:11 PDT) can anyone comment on it?

also does this E5 look legit FIIO E5 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AMP 3.5mm EARPHONE MP3 MP4 - eBay (item 260403502234 end time May-07-09 02:06:33 PDT) ?

Thanks

1 last thing, how much SQ difference will there be if I use the LOD and not..!? especially since from what I see, the E5 interconnect will be used in both cases (since LOD has 3.5mm female)

May 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #1,335 of 3,305
PFE are my main on the go IEMs. I use them more than the IE8 and TF10.

Great value
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back