Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #1,156 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by humpTdumpT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think they will do with a RSA tomahawk?

I would probably use the black filters, and it should be fine - the PFE with black filters are good with my Predator and Mustang. I pretty much have stayed with black filters to avoid sibilance.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,157 of 3,305
Just a quick note on the PFEs as a super portable biking and hiking Phones. The PFEs with small complys (for me) offer very good isolation from outside noises but do allow some wind resonance due to the body of the phone. So if traveling on bike at 13-15 mph you will get a constant lower pitched drone.

This can be ignored if volume is sufficient and I picked up a Fiios E5 to go with my clip to provide enough umph for the PFEs. While I settled on the black filters with my SR-71 and Vision M Line out, the E5 with the clip makes the phones a bit darker and less detailed in the highs and mids. Lower registers also bet a bit warmer. Add the bass boost and it really adds an artificial level of bass IMHO. But I can see why some might want this extra bass. I can also see why one might use the gray filters with a lower cost amp like the fiios E5 or others that typically add some warmth.

While hiking the PFEs stayed in place and sealed out the world quite nicely. One note is that while I preffered the medium Complys with my sr-71 and vision for its depth I prefer the smalls for the portable setup. This brings the mids and highs closer to the eardrum and offsets the smoothing effect of the E5 a bit.

One last note. The PFEs are very good at showing the differences between sources and amps. It probably accounts for the wide variety of opinions expressed here with different setups. I am beginning to feel that they might be a bit much for my biking because of the wind drone masking some of the music. I don't want to crank it too loud, and maybe a lesser or different can would work as well in that application.

Even when listening to my Macbook through the Lavry D-10 one can get an even different impression of the PFEs. Very revealing without any harshness or edge and good bass and all with black filters.

Anyone think the Bijou 3 would be any good as a lower cost biking phone? I also the Atrio M5 coming to try, I have a feeling the bass on those might overcome the wind drone.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #1,158 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably use the black filters, and it should be fine - the PFE with black filters are good with my Predator and Mustang. I pretty much have stayed with black filters to avoid sibilance.

Now that I am using the Shure black olives, I like the black filters too. With those tips there is no smearing or veil to the midrange. It changes the presentation from on stage to the 5th row, but it is very clear now.

I noticed the sibilance only with the olives and gray filters. Of course the sibilance was in the recording and accurately reproduced, so it was not a problem for me. I'm just starting to like the black presentation which is more like what you'd hear sitting in the crowd.

With Silicon medium tips, I liked the gray filters better.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #1,159 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I am using the Shure black olives, I like the black filters too. With those tips there is no smearing or veil to the midrange. It changes the presentation from on stage to the 5th row, but it is very clear now.

I noticed the sibilance only with the olives and gray filters. Of course the sibilance was in the recording and accurately reproduced, so it was not a problem for me. I'm just starting to like the black presentation which is more like what you'd hear sitting in the crowd.

With Silicon medium tips, I liked the gray filters better.

Right, I only hear sibilance if it is there in the recording - it's just more irritating when I have the grey filters in.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #1,160 of 3,305
I am sure this question asked many times before, however I couldn't find (couldn't try
wink.gif
) a clean answer over 70 pages. Which affordable amp could be correct for Pfe? E5, Nuforce icon mobile (wery excited because of it's dac function), T4 or others I already don't know ?

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #1,162 of 3,305
As always it depends on your needs, budget and what particular sound you want.

I expect it so sound fine with my portable amp. It does not need anything powerful so I think it really comes down to the sound you want to get from the amp.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #1,163 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure this question asked many times before, however I couldn't find (couldn't try
wink.gif
) a clean answer over 70 pages. Which affordable amp could be correct for Pfe? E5, Nuforce icon mobile (wery excited because of it's dac function), T4 or others I already don't know ?

i use the nuforce icon mobile with the PFE and i was quite satisfied with it (for the money and for the dac) even when it wasn't yet fully burned in. i'm not sure i would use a bass boost option if it were available to me, but each to their own. i had to send my PFE back and i'm still waiting on the replacement pair so i haven't listened in a while, but i remember it being ok with the black filters and silicone. i bought some shure olives which i'm waiting to try next.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #1,164 of 3,305
I do find Nuforce IM, is bright, much more forward mids with PFEs. But, still good and acceptable in its own. especially when watching TV series.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #1,165 of 3,305
I'm thinking about buying these PFEs, but I have a couple of questions:
Is there going to be a price drop on the Phonaks soon? It's $125 with the coupon and with a cheap amp (E5 or T4) would cost about $20 more for a total of $145~. Based on what I heard about these though - they are on par with the big 4, being amped? Also, someone told me that PFEs were 2x better than SCL4s unamped, so how many times better is the PFEs than SCL4s amped? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back