Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #1,141 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using these while commuting outside for the last few days, and I'm sad to say that as much as I like these, they don't seem suitable for commuting purposes at all because of their lack of isolation. They block out noises as much as my Denon D1001, which means basically nil. Using large silicon tips, they do block out minor noises, but things like roaring bus or subway engine is no match. And yes, I know there are alternatives like Complys and Olives, but those attenuate too much mid/highs for me... to me the PFE's with grey filters/silicon sleeve/T4 has PERFECT sound (yes, as bright as that may sound, T4 warms it up to balance it), and everything else seems lacking. It's too bad, because I'd really like an excuse to use these as much as I can.

Seems like I'll be using these for home/bedtime use and maybe office use (but they'll have to compete with PK2's there).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree that the PFEs won't deliver great iso, but you will find very few IEMs that offer really strong isolation. I am lucky in that I use the Westone 3s with tri-flanges out in the noise, and they really cut off 90 percent of ambient sound. Even the IE8s, which are very good IEMs, didn't do it for me, and they are $449 MSRP. Others say they are good for commuting/planes, etc., but not for me.

Very tough to find IEMs that really block out ambient sound. I love the PFEs around the house with my Clip/T4 combo, it's so small and light. I am a Comply foam/black filter user, and bass boost on the T4, which to me is perfect.

The isolation for me is nowhere near that bad with the PFE or others - most IEM block a good deal of sound for me, except the IE8.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #1,143 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isolation for me is nowhere near that bad with the PFE or others - most IEM block a good deal of sound for me, except the IE8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also get amazing isolation from the pfe - with the right tip (non silicon) they literally block out more noise than most iems i have tried.

Me too. More isolation would be even better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #1,144 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by radagast85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried soaking them in hydrogen peroxide to clean them? It seems to work pretty well.

I tried soaking them a good 6 hours only the problem reappears some time later. I'm liking the sound sans filters so i'll just wait and see if with care they don't get dirty.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #1,145 of 3,305
It's the silicon tip that is the weak link for sure (very thin and not as tight, though this makes it more comfy). When I tried the olives it definitely blocked out a decent amount of noise. It's too bad I did not like the sound signature with it on.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #1,146 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I love the PFEs around the house with my Clip/T4 combo, it's so small and light. I am a Comply foam/black filter user, and bass boost on the T4, which to me is perfect.

same here. but I feel tat T4 is still restricting PFE's potential.

I need a minibox e+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,147 of 3,305
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,148 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same here. but I feel tat T4 is still restricting PFE's potential.

I need a minibox e+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L3000.gif

Yeah, they are one of those IEM where the better the amp, the better they sound - they scale up well.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,149 of 3,305
Quote:

Yeah, they are one of those IEM where the better the amp, the better they sound - they scale up well.

Agree. It means that PFEs is a very dynamic, accurate and precise IEMs. I don't have any idea how far it can go/fly/scale up
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #1,152 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTissues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a Fiio E5 be worth a purchase if I use my PFEs with an iPod Touch 2G?

Yes, I bought an E5 and also a LOD cable from eBay, figured I may as well improve the already good PFE's even more by using a LOD cable to the E5 from my iPhone.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #1,153 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedorov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I bought an E5 and also a LOD cable from eBay, figured I may as well improve the already good PFE's even more by using a LOD cable to the E5 from my iPhone.

You won't regret it. I was listening to it unamped today because I was to lazy to pull the amp out...Sounded great.

Later used the amp and was
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #1,155 of 3,305
Quote:

How do you think they will do with a RSA tomahawk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back