Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #916 of 3,305
OK ok - do they need to be modded (shure olives) to fit the PFEs? After reading other posts about how they match up with the PFEs and then you guys bringing it up, I may have to go for it. The Silicones sound fine, but I might be able to do better.

What about Olives compared to T140?

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #918 of 3,305
If you need to, de-coring a Shure olive is really easy. You don't even need any tools. Just use your fingernails. It comes out nice and clean.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #919 of 3,305
OK - that's easy enough.

I was seriously thinking of making custom molds for these:

DIY custom molds

But then the obvious dawned on me that I like the option of using both filters, and I would have to pick one before doing the mold. I may still try this with my Shure E500s.

Going to see where I can pick some olives up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #920 of 3,305
I'm now starting to dig in with the grey filters and complys. Even while using the black filters with medium silicones I could occasionally hear a distinct and slightly irritating sibilance in my music using the Zen and the E5. Grey filters and medium silicones were overkill as even high frequency sound such as very high synth sounds were really irking me. Now even with the grey filters, switching from silicones to complys really took out all of the sibilance and gave me the perfect range from deep bass to clear highs with no annoyances.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #921 of 3,305
To get the olives on you can just put them on at an angle with not much force. No modding needed. A little pre-stretch could help, but not much.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #923 of 3,305
How does the isolation of the olives compare to the silicon and comply tips?

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #924 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the isolation of the olives compare to the silicon and comply tips?

MUCH better than silicon. I did not end up using the Complys for very long as I had a hard time achieving a good fit in my right ear. Left ear was fine. In the end, the Olives offer as good isolation with more comfort for me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #925 of 3,305
I can't have a good seal with the M (phonak silicon tips), so I have to use the L and they are too big. I can only insert the L in the entrance to ear canal. The seal is good, comfort is ok and they sound good.

I would like to try a little bigger than M phonak silicons, but much smaller than L.

I really dont have a clue what tips are compatible with PFEs, but already saw that sennheiser tips are too big.

What Sure olives size should I try?

Any silicon tips that could be used in the PFEs (sized between PFE silicon M and L)?

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #927 of 3,305
Merlin-PT I have a similar problem in my left ear. The medium is just a little too small and the large is just a little too big. But I use the shure olives now most of the time because I listen at work most of the time.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #928 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin-PT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't have a good seal with the M (phonak silicon tips), so I have to use the L and they are too big. I can only insert the L in the entrance to ear canal. The seal is good, comfort is ok and they sound good.

I would like to try a little bigger than M phonak silicons, but much smaller than L.

I really dont have a clue what tips are compatible with PFEs, but already saw that sennheiser tips are too big.

What Sure olives size should I try?

Any silicon tips that could be used in the PFEs (sized between PFE silicon M and L)?

You should try the small shure foamies (olives). They are a similar diameter as the M audeo silicones (maybe about .010" larger) but they are significantly longer which may help you get a better seal and secure fit.

The M audeo silicones are a good fit for me though slightly loose. I'm using the small olives right this second.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #929 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try the small shure foamies (olives). They are a similar diameter as the M audeo silicones (maybe about .010" larger) but they are significantly longer which may help you get a better seal and secure fit.

The M audeo silicones are a good fit for me though slightly loose. I'm using the small olives right this second.

Thanks for that, I was wondering what's the Stock tips/Olives form factor ratio... Considering I use small silicones (although mediums fit as well, but a bit too snug for my taste) I guess I'll have to plump for small olives and hope they ain't too big.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #930 of 3,305
yeahx:
Yes, It's exaclty my problem.
What size of olives you use?
The small ones or you need the medium?

Punnisher:
Thanks I'll try the the small shure foamies (olives).
From your description they look perfect for fit and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back