Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #901 of 3,305
Well my second pair broke yesterday, 2 cracks in the left earphone
frown.gif
Thats 2 pair in about 3 weeks. I tried to take a pic but my canon is on the fritz and my sony w890 has no macro or autofocus. Great sound but I opted for a refund, as I already have the sennheiser ie8 (nice backup pair
biggrin.gif
). Maybe I will try them out later and they will be on another batch/lot
frown.gif

I might try the W3's just to try them, but it does make me sad they sounded so good with the T4. RIP little PFE, may we meet again.........

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #902 of 3,305
That truly stinks. After two cracked pair in three weeks, they should give you a new pair AND a refund. I know Mr. Brown assured everyone that Phonak will replace these lemon PFEs (which he says are really not systemic), but it seems pretty odd that such a small group of buyers are suffering the same exact QC flaw. They are new at this game, but if this continues, they are gonna find tough sledding. Again, if I were King of the World (or the CEO at Phonak), I would replace any PFE and provide a refund to anyone who has suffered through more than one incident. Of course, that would depend on making sure it was the exact same defect, etc. Companies like Amazon are profitable even during these lousy times because they never take their eye off the customer service ball.

After all, if these defective PFEs are really a small percentage, then Phonak has little to lose financially (if they just refund and replace). Even having a replacement warranty will not keep customers if it problems keep arising. I'd say Ihatepopupads is perfect example of that reality.

Okay, off my soapbox. I still love the PFEs, but this is a prime chance for Phonak to REALLY stand behind its products.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #903 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That truly stinks. After two cracked pair in three weeks, they should give you a new pair AND a refund. I know Mr. Brown assured everyone that Phonak will replace these lemon PFEs (which he says are really not systemic), but it seems pretty odd that such a small group of buyers are suffering the same exact QC flaw. They are new at this game, but if this continues, they are gonna find tough sledding. Again, if I were King of the World (or the CEO at Phonak), I would replace any PFE and provide a refund to anyone who has suffered through more than one incident. Of course, that would depend on making sure it was the exact same defect, etc. Companies like Amazon are profitable even during these lousy times because they never take their eye off the customer service ball.

After all, if these defective PFEs are really a small percentage, then Phonak has little to lose financially (if they just refund and replace). Even having a replacement warranty will not keep customers if it problems keep arising. I'd say Ihatepopupads is perfect example of that reality.

Okay, off my soapbox. I still love the PFEs, but this is a prime chance for Phonak to REALLY stand behind its products.

My first one didn't crack, the left headphone just went out after about an hour. They fist pair sounded weak anyways, the second pair sounded much better. If I didn't have a good pair of phones already, I would have tried a 3rd pair. Yes it's weird that 2 little cracks appeared with no stress put on the earpiece, I haven't changed tips or filters. You could tell that if the cracks got bigger, a little tiny rectangle would fall away from the housing.

I had a really good sound sig with the ponaks, the ie8 treble can extend too far sometimes and the bass can overpower. I will miss them for sure, but didn't want to send a 3rd pair back. Although the chances of a 3rd pair defective have to be one in a million, but that what I thought about a second pair being defective.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #905 of 3,305
Got my replacement pair!

These are what I've been waiting for. I am using the gray (default) filters along with medium silicone tips. The sound is so clear and open. Not congested like my UM2 is.

The amazing part is the low bass response is still quite good even though I've chosen the more treble-focused configuration. Comply tips darken the sound and make them feel more congested.

Oh, and the best part: No hiss when used straight out of a portable player! Thank the lord for that.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #906 of 3,305
No hiss... Might be the 32 ohm impedance and less sensitivity are the keys.
smily_headphones1.gif
If PFEs is 16 ohm and 120 dB@1 mW and with it sound signature, pretty sure it will hiss alot.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #907 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hiss... Might be the 32 ohm impedance and less sensitivity are the keys.
smily_headphones1.gif
If PFEs is 16 ohm and 120 dB@1 mW and with it sound signature, pretty sure it will hiss alot.

Indeed. Their higher than average impedance and lowish sensitivity were the deciding factors for this purchase.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #908 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first one didn't crack, the left headphone just went out after about an hour. They fist pair sounded weak anyways,

Uh oh, if the quality of the sound of the earphones are inconsistent, how would we know if we have a weak or defective pair?

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #910 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moldytape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh oh, if the quality of the sound of the earphones are inconsistent, how would we know if we have a weak or defective pair?

By the earphone sounding weak or defective.

In this case, anything short of awesome.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #911 of 3,305
my at hissed quite a bit from different sources at 55ohm - it is not only ohm and sensitivity as they were not overly sensitive. not sure what else, but mostly really sensitive phones will hiss. i thought rockbox on my nano did the hiss trick: now i have no idea how to test as i no longer have the at phones.

pfe really dont hiss and that i love.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #914 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised more people don't use Shure olives with the PFE's. Work great.

I'm surprised more people don't use the Shure olives period. I have used them exclusively on my SE530 since day one. To me, they not only sound the best, but they are also the most comfortable.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #915 of 3,305
Well, one of the issues is they can be annoying to mod to fit certain size tubes. I didn't really want to bother getting them to fit on my Sennheiser CX400's or NE-7M's. To me I'm fine with the stock tips or the T400's I already had. The Shure Olives sure are nice though all around, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back