Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #511 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tried what for me is the killer combo for the PFEs. I switched to the black filters and the medium silicones, then hooked them up to the Touch via LOD and turned on the T4 bass boost. Perfection. I had not tried that combo before, and I am now convinced that the black filters are going to be my first choice from now on. Anyone want to buy a box of gray filters? (I bought one of each). I also have two bags of the large T130 foamies. The medium silicones fit so snugly and really seal comfortably, so no more foamies either. Of course, that's today.
darthsmile.gif

For me the best combo has been the HP out of my iPhone3G (no EQ) through the E5 (bass boost) with the gray filters and silicon tips. I don't have a good quality LOD to try. While this is the sound I prefer, I've been testing all kinds of other setups to see it there's some way that I can get rid of the amp.

I've always used the gray filters because every time I tried the blacks they took too much away from the mids/highs. Playing with the iPhone EQ the only thing that comes close with the gray filters was the bass boost EQ which was a little too much bass for me. This weekend I finally discovered a new solution that I think will work. I went back to the black filters and started trying different EQ settings. As it turns out, there are many options in the EQ settings to brighten up the mid/highs with the black filters where there was really only one to increase the bass with the grays. I'm still testing but I've already found a couple of EQs that put me real close to the E5 setup.

That's the beauty and curse of the PFEs. You can keep tweaking these babies with filters/tips/amps/EQs until you find the sound you're looking for. My problem is that I'm spending more time playing rather than listening to music. Hopefully I'll find a steady state soon!

Tstarn - Got those IE8s burned in yet?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #512 of 3,305
Quote:

I want to say thanks to everyone for bringing these to my attention. I look forward to trying them out. I'll let everyone know what I think when they arrive.

I put my order in last night and I can't wait!!!!
I envision a waterfall of beautiful sounds drenching my senses and bringing me one step closer to audio enlightenment!!!

If anyone else is about to take the plunge. The current coupon is for 10% off (YTECH10)
Just type it in on the main home page under coupon.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #513 of 3,305
Quote:

Glad I am not the only crazy one. But I had never tried this latest combo, and it just sounds so right. I hope I can stick to one strategy, but who knows? For now, it's Door #1. I went back and listened, and it just works.

The problem I was having with the foamies is they seem to lose their freshness (get mushy) much too soon (and thus have a hard time with a good seal).

damn you, you made me take out the filterbox again

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #514 of 3,305
Hmm I like this combo

Black Filter / Med Silicon / Acoustic EQ (ipod touch 1g)

Maybe more than my earlier Grey/MedSil/Bass Boost

No Idea @_@

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #515 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the best combo has been the HP out of my iPhone3G (no EQ) through the E5 (bass boost) with the gray filters and silicon tips. I don't have a good quality LOD to try. While this is the sound I prefer, I've been testing all kinds of other setups to see it there's some way that I can get rid of the amp.

I've always used the gray filters because every time I tried the blacks they took too much away from the mids/highs. Playing with the iPhone EQ the only thing that comes close with the gray filters was the bass boost EQ which was a little too much bass for me. This weekend I finally discovered a new solution that I think will work. I went back to the black filters and started trying different EQ settings. As it turns out, there are many options in the EQ settings to brighten up the mid/highs with the black filters where there was really only one to increase the bass with the grays. I'm still testing but I've already found a couple of EQs that put me real close to the E5 setup.

That's the beauty and curse of the PFEs. You can keep tweaking these babies with filters/tips/amps/EQs until you find the sound you're looking for. My problem is that I'm spending more time playing rather than listening to music. Hopefully I'll find a steady state soon!

Tstarn - Got those IE8s burned in yet?

Well, they are over the 100-hour mark, but again, I have had a problem with the right tip setup. None of the stock tips work for me, either too uncomfy, bad seal or bad sound. Hard to believe, but none work. The Complys are a little too dark, but I found an old pair of silicone biflanges that came with a pair of RE2s I own (daughter's phones), and they seem to be perfect. A little narrower than the cheap biflanges mark recommended for his IE7s. Perfect fit, good iso, and now I can hear the IE8s the way I had hoped.

They are what they are, and the dynamic signature does put them at a little too bass-oriented, but I hope/expect the mids and highs will come to the forefront with added burn-in. And as you noted, with the Touch I can use the acoustic EQ and it works for me.

Anyway, the IE8s and the PFEs are so different, I really enjoy both. But I still need to use an amp with the latter to really hear them the way they sound best to my ears. I will try messing with the EQ too, but the T4 really gives them just the right touch of warmth, so I probably will stick with an amp.

Oh, the IE8s are in no need of an amp, in my view. But I am going to try them out with the MiniboxE+ that should be arriving soon. Just for kicks.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #516 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I like this combo

No Idea @_@

I can see that combo too (top one).

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #518 of 3,305
Believe me, it was like Goldilocks with a dozen things to try. I finally settled, I thought, on the single flange silicones, large, but when I went out yesterday, they leaked so much sound I couldn't stand it. They (largre singles) are okay at home, but that pair of biflanges I stumbled upon have "sealed" the deal for me. For now. I hope for good.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #521 of 3,305
Quote:

I can see that combo too (top one).

Yeah, I gave some more head-time to that combo

Works like a charm

Not too dark, not too bright - perfect balance IMO

And for some wierd reason it seems to have a better soundstage and separation. Or maybe not

Whatever works
tongue.gif
Its all in the head after all!

All this music wants me to start playing the keyboard again. (LONG hiatus
frown.gif
)

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #522 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I like this combo

No Idea @_@

I'm using the

Black Filter / Silicon / Acoustic EQ

on my iPhone as well. Seems to be a good non-amp combo. I actually have a small silicon in my left ear and a medium in my right. It's nice to have that option!

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #524 of 3,305
Glad the are working out for you Fedorov

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #525 of 3,305
Quote:

You mean the T130s? For the PFE? I have two bags of them, so I might ship one your way. You can get them free shipping from Phonak directly. $13 for 3 pair. Why wait for mine?

Is was just saying if you didn't want yours and wanted to get rid of them cheaps...

No matter.

nG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back