Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #256 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Audeo today and I'm totally impressed. I've never heard any IEMs that sound this balanced and pleasing. Most high end IEMs have tendency to have one or two excellent freq area but not so in the other areas. While the Audeo doesn't have SE530's sweet mid, ER-4P's transparent high and Triple.fi Pro's punch base, it seems to achieve close to 90% in all regards. (Well, maybe 70% for bass because I think the Triple.fi's bass is a bit too much) It's super comfortable to boot. I can't be any happier with the purchase.
happy_face1.gif

Im happy you are sastified with your purchase, don't forget to join the team
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #257 of 3,308
Quote:

I just got the Audeo today and I'm totally impressed. I've never heard any IEMs that sound this balanced and pleasing. Most high end IEMs have tendency to have one or two excellent freq area but not so in the other areas. While the Audeo doesn't have SE530's sweet mid, ER-4P's transparent high and Triple.fi Pro's punch base, it seems to achieve close to 90% in all regards. (Well, maybe 70% for bass because I think the Triple.fi's bass is a bit too much) It's super comfortable to boot. I can't be any happier with the purchase.
happy_face1.gif

Glad you like them! That is exactly why I like them too. They may not have you totally gobsmacked in any one particular department but they perform quite admirably in all areas and no single aspect lets them down.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #258 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My token into this club is at my house, awaiting my return from a business trip. The wife is supposed to be auditioning them too. I'll get her (relatively inexperienced) opinion, compare it to mine, then splat it onto the web for everyone who couldn't care less to read.

We all await your detailed review. Please keep it under 500 words.
popcorn.gif
lol

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #259 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like them! That is exactly why I like them too. They may not have you totally gobsmacked in any one particular department but they perform quite admirably in all areas and no single aspect lets them down.

Excactly, don't know why I forgot this part when I Quoted him....anyhow yes I agree this is simple reason why the Phonaks stand out. Netrual......with the Phonaks you will be suprised that some songs have no bass. Or surprised that some phones have a over empathized mids. (SHURE530) To me suffers from such, bass that clouds the mids, an tad bit to much mids. Just ones humble opinion, sorry for rambling.....Phonak=Heaven on earth, musicial paradise.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #261 of 3,308
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #262 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Currently, I'm using the comply foams with the stock filters as they seem to have the most balanced sound. I can't say I like the sound of black filters nor the silicon tips. To me the black filters clutter the bass and the silicon tips make treble a bit too aggressive with a hint of sibilance. I think I'll just stick with my current setting. Somebody please get these off of me! It's been on me for about 5 hours now. (I'm not kidding
tongue.gif
)

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #264 of 3,308
Quote:

Currently, I'm using the comply foams with the stock filters as they seem to have the most balanced sound. I can't say I like the sound of black filters nor the silicon tips. To me the black filters clutter the bass and the silicon tips make treble a bit too aggressive with a hint of sibilance. I think I'll just stick with my current setting. Somebody please get these off of me! It's been on me for about 5 hours now. (I'm not kidding
tongue.gif
)

I've already suffered the "can't stop listening- OMG it's been 5 hours now, it's 2 A.M. and have to go to work in 5 hours"
evil_smiley.gif

As I've mentioned, I'm set on Grey filters with silicone. I haven't noticed any sibilance but I'd say that 90% of my "favorites" that are on my iPod are fairly high quality recordings. Most of my music was ripped with LAME V0, 245kbps avg.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #265 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already suffered the "can't stop listening- OMG it's been 5 hours now, it's 2 A.M. and have to go to work in 5 hours"
evil_smiley.gif

As I've mentioned, I'm set on Grey filters with silicone. I haven't noticed any sibilance but I'd say that 90% of my "favorites" that are on my iPod are fairly high quality recordings. Most of my music was ripped with LAME V0, 245kbps avg.

Ha Ha. Didn't know. That makes two of us then.

The difference between the comply and the silicone wasn't much but still noticeable. I was listening to "Free To Be" by Wynton Marsalis Quartet which is one of my reference tracks. The track starts out with rhythmic hand claps which gives a good idea how upper frequencies react. With silicone tips, I felt a little aggressiveness in the treble, it wasn't much but still more so than the comply foams. And later on, Wynton Marsalis come in with his trumpet and that's where I noticed a hint of sibilance with the silicons whereas the comply tips handled this part with ease comfortably. It could've been that I was listening to rather high volume but both tips were tested with the same level so the difference is there nonetheless.

I have to say that I'm a little sensitive to extended treble so that could be why we're having two different opinions. Anyway, I may give the silicones another try maybe someday. As strange as it may sound, I have different hearings everyday. One day I can hear more bass and the next day I can hear more extended highs. It's true. I think it all depends on how tired I am that day. But what does that matter? If it sounds good, it's good, right? So let enjoy more music!
icon10.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #266 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trade my hd650's for your westone 3s? haha

If i get the funds, i'll for sure buy the audeo's.. in due time.

it only costs round 100 though...

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #267 of 3,308
err you guys!! I sold my other headphones to save up for other high end IEMS. but i guess i'll save some molla and buy these PFE's everyones raving about.

Definitely an upgrade from the RE2 correct? Do the PFE's benefit from an amp? I currently have a d2 boa thats why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it only costs round 100 though...

What costs around 100? the HD650's or the Westone 3's??

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #269 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
err you guys!! I sold my other headphones to save up for other high end IEMS. but i guess i'll save some molla and buy these PFE's everyones raving about.

Definitely an upgrade from the RE2 correct? Do the PFE's benefit from an amp? I currently have a d2 boa thats why.

PFE is a definite upgrade from RE2. There's more clarity and definition across the whole frequency. There's a tad bit less bass with PFE but it's still very much enjoyable. As for the amp, I'm not seeing a huge jump in SQ with my Predator and Move so I doubt that you'll see a huge improvement also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back